Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - Requests for Rookie Topics? Toplef10Garlic - Requests for Rookie Topics? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - Requests for Rookie Topics? I22gcj10Garlic - Requests for Rookie Topics? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - Requests for Rookie Topics? Toplef10Garlic - Requests for Rookie Topics? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - Requests for Rookie Topics? I22gcj10Garlic - Requests for Rookie Topics? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Requests for Rookie Topics?

+12
fiddleman
AprilakaCCIL
shannon1
squaredeal
boffer
ModernDayBetty
UnderTheBlackWalnut
BackyardBirdGardner
Mamachibi
sherryeo
westie42
middlemamma
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Garlic - Requests for Rookie Topics? Empty Requests for Rookie Topics?

Post  middlemamma 7/29/2011, 3:50 pm

Hello all!

For those of you that have enjoyed the Rookie Topic on Friday's, the well has run dry between the Regional Hosts and myself. With gardens and summer fun we have struggled slightly to get the last couple to you on time! Thus there has not been one yet today!

I wanted to open up the request line to the membership, hoping it inspires us a little!

Thanks everyone!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Garlic - Requests for Rookie Topics? Empty Re: Requests for Rookie Topics?

Post  westie42 7/29/2011, 5:06 pm

I for one among many has been very pleased with the rookie thread. Since we are coming upon garlic planting time and many of us have graduated from grocery store stock at $.33 per bulb to the good stuff at $3. and up it would be perfect timing to cover garlic. Like many crops experience is the best teacher but I/we could vastly shorten the learning curve with some expert help. Help with planning, purchasing selections, bed preparation, planting, nurturing growth, harvesting, curing and looking ahead to next years crop would be the areas I can think of as key to being a happy and successful garlic grower. By the way thanks to all for the many fine Friday Rookie topics presented so far.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 7/29/2011, 5:25 pm

Love the rookie topics! Two things that seem like they should be simple to grow, but that seem to be giving lots of people trouble this year, judging by the posts, are bush snap beans and peppers. I've had trouble with those myself this year. I'd love to see rookie topic posts on those!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi 7/29/2011, 5:30 pm

I'd like to see late autumn and overwinter crops covered like turnips, rutabaga, kohlrabi, etc. and seed saving.
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 7/29/2011, 6:14 pm

Mamachibi wrote:I'd like to see late autumn and overwinter crops covered like turnips, rutabaga, kohlrabi, etc. and seed saving.

Agreed we should attempt to stay ahead of the calendar with "timely" topics.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 7/29/2011, 6:40 pm

As I'm thinking of this, the question I asked myself was "Is this a ROOKIE veggie - meaning something odd and different that most gardeners may not have tried?" OR "Is this a topic for ROOKIE gardeners?" Because the answers are different... I *think* it's the first...but having the second might not be bad for those of who chose our first foray into veggie gardening to BE SFG.

I for one, would like pictures and step by step info on how BBG gets his Simpson's Elite to produce so well. I tried to plant lettuce last spring and it never grew bigger than about an inch or two. (Thinking it might not have been the best bagged compost.) Yes, BBG, I later bought Simpson's Elite to try this fall after reading more than one of your posts. Smile

But for most seasoned gardeners, they are probably laughing at my inability to get lettuce or any root veggie to grow. Smile

Since I haven't yet mastered the basics - I guess I don't have tons of advice on more unusual crops to plant. Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 7/29/2011, 6:59 pm

Mamachibi wrote:I'd like to see late autumn and overwinter crops covered like turnips, rutabaga, kohlrabi, etc. and seed saving.

Agree!! I love the seed saving idea and other techniques.

After winter crops, I'd love advice on how to grow melons, watermelon and cantaloupe, for those of us not living in the south (everything I find online is for the south Sad ). I used my extention offices list of watermelons suitable for my area but so far it doesn't look like I'll get any.

A lot of things are probably searchable but I love the convenience of finding them in the rookie posts :o)

I love you Don't stop Rookie Posts! I love you
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/29/2011, 7:25 pm

UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:As I'm thinking of this, the question I asked myself was "Is this a ROOKIE veggie - meaning something odd and different that most gardeners may not have tried?" OR "Is this a topic for ROOKIE gardeners?"
Yes!

J/K 'Rookie Topics' is BBG's creation, and it's a good one. But the title he came up with out of the blue leaves a lot to be desired. (nanana to BBG!) What is new and different is determined by one's locale and climate and experience. Maybe he can come up with a better title while he's hibernating this winter! annoying bug

UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:
But for most seasoned gardeners, they are probably laughing at my inability to get lettuce or any root veggie to grow. Smile
Nopers. We never underestimate the gardening gods. Just as soon as we think we have this gardening thing mastered, we get our butts kicked! Weather plays such a big part in our success, and there's nothing we can do about it.

UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:Since I haven't yet mastered the basics - I guess I don't have tons of advice on more unusual crops to plant. Smile
SFG is about teaching people to grow food to eat to sustain themselves. First things first: it starts with what is native/local and is easy to grow. What is 'unusual' goes back to one's climate and locale. If there's something that you are curious about, that would be a good suggestion.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 7/29/2011, 9:40 pm

I think what's a "timely" topic can vary by region. Bush snap beans and peppers are timely topics for me, and probably most others in the south, since those can be included in a fall planting. That said, though, I agree that the topics would probably be best kept to what is timely for the majority seasonally.

I think of the Rookie Topics as our own forum library that we're setting up. So I envision it covering all possible veggies eventually!

I, too, would like to see BBG do a topic on lettuce, covering the Simpson Elite. I have also purchased some of those seeds due to his post and am hopeful they'll work for me here in the south!

Then perhaps when all the veggie topics are exhausted there could be a top covering different pests that contain the same kind of great basic information as the veggie Rookie Topics. I think that would be great for all of us and would especially be great for those new to square foot gardneing.
sherryeo
sherryeo

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 7/29/2011, 11:48 pm

On topic: I originally thought we'd post some weirder veggies and give a background and steps to grow...sort of. The vision is to take the fear out of trying something new for "rookies." Hence, the title.

However, as it's grabbed it's own legs, you're not going to hear a complaint from me. I'm glad the RH's jumped in to help. I'm also glad everyone liked the concept so much that we've kept it going most of the season.

If it morphs into other Rookie Topics, to help people lose their fears, that's more than fine with me since that is still well within the spirit of the concept.

Off topic: I will do a topic on whatever you want to see. I had asked that earlier in our regional subforum, with little traction, envisioning the same results. Sort of taking requests since I don't mind researching things I don't know much about. But, I must put the disclaimer on bush beans or lettuce......I don't do anything special. I stick it in the ground and watch it grow. I don't know why my lettuce doesn't bolt. I have four varieties going right now that have yet to bolt...still. I just love Simpson Elite because it's only bolted on me once in the last three years. And, that was because I ignored it completely for many weeks.

I just planted some lettuces yesterday. I have a couple pictures on the memory card already. If they sprout, I'll post the pics and start describing details if that works.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 7/31/2011, 12:02 am

I know you did a post on Tarragon but I would like to see some more posts on herbs...maybe even which ones might do well started outside and brought in for the winter?? thanks
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  squaredeal 7/31/2011, 12:34 am

Cauliflower!Very Happy
squaredeal
squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 7/31/2011, 1:33 am

Cauliflower! Great one! I vote yes for cauliflower! Very Happy
sherryeo
sherryeo

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 8/1/2011, 2:40 am

Yep fall vegies have my vote, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, lettuce, collards and the like.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  AprilakaCCIL 8/1/2011, 1:21 pm

I know I'll need the Rookie Thread with this being my first year gardening. Very Happy

I've already learned soooo much from this forum and I'm very grateful for that.

I never thought I'd grow some food for my family of 6...which has become a family adventure.

Q. Is Simpson Elite a name for a particular lettuce???
AprilakaCCIL
AprilakaCCIL

Female Posts : 219

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/1/2011, 1:28 pm

Yes, Simpson Elite is a variety of leaf lettuce very closely related to Black-seeded Simpson, which is also slow to bolt. But, I believe Simpson Elite is even more heat tolerant.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  fiddleman 8/1/2011, 8:25 pm

Some ideas:

1. Perhaps some on companion planting... we seem to get questions on this from time to time.
  2. Flowers. Marigolds, Nasturtium, and any others folks like- Mel mentioned planting flowers quite a bit in his book to try and make the garden not only produce vegetables, but also to make it pretty to look at as well. Which plants tend to make good SFG companions, and which tend to try to take over.
  3. Watering. How to check, how much, when, options, hand, sprinkler, wand, drip irrigation... how to
  4. mulch. types when to use, benefits.
  5. STRAWBERRIES - types, growth, runners, pruning harvesting.
  6. Trellis. Where to place, what can grow well on them, single string vs. netting vs. wire. Wood vs. Metal vs. PVC
  7. COMPOSTING. I have to admit, Mel in his book wasn't as clear as he might have been on composting. Bins, turning, how often to water, what constitutes brown or green. Pasteurizing compost. Yup, I do that. Guaranteed no weeds / Nematodes/virus/bacteria
  8. Rain Barrels. Depending on where you are it can be a must to keep your beds watered.
I am assuming you are looking for general Rookie Gardener topics. We get a lot of the same questions over and over (which is fine) but maybe having this as a reference section would get a number of new and interesting variant questions out there too. I am always up for learning something new...

Mark
fiddleman
fiddleman

Male Posts : 121

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 8/2/2011, 4:03 am

Thank you everyone for the suggestions...I think their will be another week without a rookie topic and then the goal is for it to reappear soon.

Feel free to keep suggestions coming. Smile
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Garlic - Requests for Rookie Topics? Empty parsnips

Post  ModernDayBetty 8/4/2011, 10:35 am

I understood that parsnips are suppose to be a fall crop but I didn't know they were suppose to be started in spring Embarassed so here I am with a packet of seeds wishing I knew more about parsnips....
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 8/4/2011, 1:33 pm

Krazi - One thing you need to know about parsnips is that the viability of parsnip seeds is very short term. After one year the sprout rate drops off very fast.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/4/2011, 2:01 pm

krazikandiland wrote:I understood that parsnips are suppose to be a fall crop but I didn't know they were suppose to be started in spring Embarassed so here I am with a packet of seeds wishing I knew more about parsnips....

Just put something together for you...

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t8569-quick-hits-on-parsnips#79142

Enjoy!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Garlic - Requests for Rookie Topics? Empty onions from seed and garlic

Post  jcpen 8/4/2011, 4:15 pm

onions from seed , garlic, strawberries, leeks, beets,cauliflower,broccoli
grains,aubergines(eggplant)
jcpen

Male Posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 8/7/2011, 12:56 pm

First let me say: THANK YOU! and as BBG has mentioned, the kids are starting back to school very soon ( 08/18 for me - party at my house when the bus leaves) so things are a bit crazy for us parents ( or will be). Take as much time as you need , family first then gardening! LOL

As for topics, Fall season veggies are very much welcomed along with Fall/Winter topics ( hoop houses, row covers, overwintering,etc). I'm still baffled with the do you/don't you water of a winter garden.

I vote broccoli and brussel sprouts!

Again, thank you for your time/sharing your knowledge with everyone. This forum is the BEST!
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi 8/15/2011, 8:34 am

Brussels sprouts!
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 8/15/2011, 9:36 am

celeriac or celery root. - When I'm traveling in other countries, this is the only form of celery flavor I can find.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next