Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How will I know when I have worm castings? Toplef10How will I know when I have worm castings? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How will I know when I have worm castings? I22gcj10How will I know when I have worm castings? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How will I know when I have worm castings? Toplef10How will I know when I have worm castings? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How will I know when I have worm castings? I22gcj10How will I know when I have worm castings? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

How will I know when I have worm castings?

4 posters

Go down

How will I know when I have worm castings? Empty How will I know when I have worm castings?

Post  jymarino 7/5/2011, 1:38 pm

I have a small worm bin, and the peat that I am using for bedding doesn't really smell like peat anymore. I am still uncertain if it really qualifies as worm castings. Does anyone have any experience with this that you can share? Thanks in advance!
jymarino

Back to top Go down

How will I know when I have worm castings? Empty Re: How will I know when I have worm castings?

Post  skinney001 7/20/2011, 10:41 pm

I'm new to this site but I have been vermicomposting for over a year (I love my worms). It takes about three months for the worms to process the stuff in the bin, and of course you have to feed them during that time. A great site to learn more is redwormcomposting.com. It has taught me a lot about this subject. There is also a lot of stuff on youtube where you can see what the worm poo is supposed to look like. Good luck! And God made the worms for a purpose!
skinney001

Back to top Go down

How will I know when I have worm castings? Empty Re: How will I know when I have worm castings?

Post  madnicmom 7/21/2011, 12:45 pm

I started vermicomposting this spring (in rubbermaid container) and I noticed that worms eat ALOT! LOL It's a slow process but I have a good amount of black moist dirt. I need to push it to one side and start feeding from the other side to get them to migrate to just one side of the bin. I noticed a little compost tea in the bottom of my set up. WooHoo! Can't wait to put that on my garden.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/21/2011, 1:51 pm

This is my 3rd year with a worm condo and I'm loving it.
They need lots of kitchen scraps often if you want a good number of worms working for you. If you feed less, you'll have fewer worms. They won't reproduce all those little babies unless well fed. If you're short of kitchen scraps, tear up newspaper into narrow strips. Be sure its been sitting around a couple of weeks to be sure the ink isn't a problem.

You'll know when you have worm castings because it'll look like rich dark soil.
How will I know when I have worm castings? 02_my_10
Here's my condo with lots of worm castings in it. I had stopped adding newspaper so I could clean it out.
To clean, I moved my worms onto dry newspaper during the event and scooped the castings in a bucket. This is what I got.
How will I know when I have worm castings? 11_a_210
Its so rich and dark and doesn't smell at all. Lovely.

Tips: Sprinkle with water, the bin contents every once in a while. They like it damp, but not sopping wet.
Don't feed a lot of lettuce at once. It can kill your worms. A worm rancher reported this disaster online. He fed lots of lettuce and all his worms died. Mix your lettuce scraps in with other veggie scraps.
Worms don't care for root crops, so limit the amount of potato and carrot peelings you give them or mix them in well with other scraps.
Crush your dried eggshells for them. They lay their eggs in the hollows of the tiny bits of eggshells. I place my washed, dry shells in a plastic margarine tub and mash them down with the head of a wooden meat mallet.
They don't like it too hot so if you keep them outside place their home the shade. If its reaching 90*F, make sure they are well shaded or bring them inside.
In the winter, they need to be inside; your bathroom, heated garage or heated workshop. You don't want them to freeze. Don't worry. I keep mine in the bathroom and there's no odor if you care for them properly.
Remember, no meat or dairy for worms.
Good luck and enjoy your wonderful castings harvest.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum