Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Nutritional Value - another reason to SFG Toplef10Nutritional Value - another reason to SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Nutritional Value - another reason to SFG I22gcj10Nutritional Value - another reason to SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Nutritional Value - another reason to SFG Toplef10Nutritional Value - another reason to SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Nutritional Value - another reason to SFG I22gcj10Nutritional Value - another reason to SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Nutritional Value - another reason to SFG

+5
Barkie
acara
MarcyG
Kelejan
sfg4uKim
9 posters

Go down

Nutritional Value - another reason to SFG Empty Nutritional Value - another reason to SFG

Post  sfg4uKim 6/29/2011, 11:15 am

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/28/137371975/how-industrial-farming-destroyed-the-tasty-tomato?sc=fb&cc=fp

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Nutritional Value - another reason to SFG WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Nutritional Value - another reason to SFG Empty Re: Nutritional Value - another reason to SFG

Post  Kelejan 6/29/2011, 3:30 pm

That is an interesting article, ksroman. It confirms the reason I seldom buy tomatoes at the Supermarket.

I am so looking forward to harvesting my own toms, or at least buying from our Farmers' Market that starts this Saturday.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Nutritional Value - another reason to SFG Empty Re: Nutritional Value - another reason to SFG

Post  MarcyG 6/29/2011, 8:38 pm

That's disturbing!!!
MarcyG
MarcyG

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 6/29/2011, 10:25 pm

A regurgitation of about 10 other articles on the subject since 2009, but stilll as good of a read as ever.

It's mostly factual & why there are so many people who grow their own tomato plants in FL.......and why everyone outside of FL thinks we are all nuts. Probably seems stupid to waste all the time & effort to grow them yourself, when it appears we are swimming in tomatos 365 days a year & they "auto-grow" in FL ..... but thats simply not the case.

As far as the commercial crops go....FL would do the country a favor if they just painted cow poop bright red, called it tomatoes & put that on he supermarket shelves instead.

acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 6/30/2011, 6:11 am

Welcome home Kim.

Garden advisor Geoff Hamilton said in the Uk in 1990 that farming had been well served by plant breeders who have bred "super-varieties" for uniform size, germinating all together, harvesting all at one go and for yield. Not for taste. Now, to give a balanced view, because we feel confident of the excellence of SFG to do so, and to be fair to people such as Geoff too, who also advocated using home made compost, it has to be said that tasty food arises from which varieties you plant and the way that you grow them. I notice that many of us grow heirloom varieties. I do because I don't want a glut or nothing situation but the main reason is that I value flavour more than yield.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi 6/30/2011, 10:06 am

There are social justice issues with those grocery store tomatoes also. "Tomatoland" by Barry Estabrook is a real eye-opener.

Growing your own is a sure way to "know your farmer, know your food."
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 7/1/2011, 12:54 am

I feel even better now about home growing in my tiny organic SFG urban farm. If you guys think it is only tomatoes where the taste has been traded for mechanical harvesting and other commercial reasons I guess you have not been to a food store in a while. Good for you! The variety of vegies I eat has gone down but I don't realy miss it. The only vegie I have been buying since my harvesting has started is lettuce but that will change as soon as it cools down.
Power To The SFG'ers
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 7/1/2011, 5:54 am

shannon1 wrote:I feel even better now about home growing in my tiny organic SFG urban farm. If you guys think it is only tomatoes where the taste has been traded for mechanical harvesting and other commercial reasons I guess you have not been to a food store in a while. Good for you! The variety of vegies I eat has gone down but I don't realy miss it. The only vegie I have been buying since my harvesting has started is lettuce but that will change as soon as it cools down.
Power To The SFG'ers

You bet it isn't just tomatoes. About the only thing that tastes like home grown is frozen garden peas. We buy as little veg as possible between harvesting. Oh and you were right - we have sugar snap mangetout forming now. Very Happy
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Denese 7/1/2011, 12:13 pm

That explains why I despise "winter" tomatoes. I pick 'em out of salads and off of sandwiches and burgers. Love real "vine ripened" tomatoes in the summer!

I have a diet program called Diet Power that gives the nutrient values of the food you log. It has 2 choices for tomatoes; those eaten from November through May and then those that are eaten June through October. The winter ones, of course, are lower in nutritional value.
Denese
Denese

Female Posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 7/3/2011, 1:46 pm

Tho only tomatoes I will buy at the grocery are grape tomatoes when I can't grow them or buy them at the farmer's market.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum