Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - Today we planted strawberries. Toplef10strawberries - Today we planted strawberries. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - Today we planted strawberries. I22gcj10strawberries - Today we planted strawberries. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - Today we planted strawberries. Toplef10strawberries - Today we planted strawberries. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - Today we planted strawberries. I22gcj10strawberries - Today we planted strawberries. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Today at 2:34 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Yesterday at 5:24 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Today we planted strawberries.

4 posters

Go down

strawberries - Today we planted strawberries. Empty Today we planted strawberries.

Post  WardinWake 3/29/2011, 7:17 pm

Howdy Folks:

With the help of our son, Mary and I mixed enough Mel's Mix to fill two 4X4X6 SFGs and one 4X8X8 SFG.
Planted 104 strawberry plants at a rate of 1 per square from runners re-rooted and placed in cups last fall. We have 2 2X8X8 existing beds planted 4 per square with some square with other counts. This makes a total of 184 strawberry plants in the ground and maybe another 50 or so still in cups. All strawberry plants are at table top height keeping Mr. Rabbit from making a midnight run on the plants and keeping the harvester (Mary) from having to bend over to pick the crop. Eventually we hope to be able to have a sign out front that says "Mary's Upstanding U-pick Strawberries".

God Bless, Ward and Mary. bounce
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

strawberries - Today we planted strawberries. Empty Re: Today we planted strawberries.

Post  middlemamma 3/29/2011, 7:21 pm

If I ever visit I will make sure it is during U Pick season. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

That is fantastic Ward! YAY!

Jennie
Admin
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

strawberries - Today we planted strawberries. Empty Re: Today we planted strawberries.

Post  Blackrose 3/29/2011, 7:22 pm

WardinWake wrote:Eventually we hope to be able to have a sign out front that says "Mary's Upstanding U-pick Strawberries".

good idea

That's awesome Ward! I too am going to plant my strawberries in a tabletop SFG. One of my 4x3s. Is there a reason why you planted 1 per square? I thought it was 4 per square. Or does it depend on the variety?
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 3/29/2011, 7:23 pm

Glad to hear the strawberry patch is doing so well. How did your strawberry tower do from last year? I am moving my strawberry plants into pots/ 5 gallon buckets and generally off the ground. This is their last year. If they do not produce much, then they will have to fend for themselves. I am planting raspberries and blueberries this year, plus a strange mini kiwi. I expect it will be a year before I get much of anything. Talk to you soon.

Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 3/29/2011, 8:29 pm

Blackrose wrote:
WardinWake wrote:Eventually we hope to be able to have a sign out front that says "Mary's Upstanding U-pick Strawberries".

strawberries - Today we planted strawberries. 997193

That's awesome Ward! I too am going to plant my strawberries in a tabletop SFG. One of my 4x3s. Is there a reason why you planted 1 per square? I thought it was 4 per square. Or does it depend on the variety?

The planting of strawberries varies with the intended end purpose. If you clip off the runners to maximize the harvest and give the mother plant the most nourishment then it is 4 per square. If you want to expand your planting for the next year you can either purchase more plants or allow the runners to set new "babies" in the SFG and then relocate the babies in the fall. Another method of expanding that we have found successful is to place the new babies in partly buried posts and allow them to take root in the pot. After the babies are self-supporting on their own root system you can clip the runner from the mother plant. You then have a fully rooted plant to move where you like.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 3/29/2011, 8:38 pm

Patty from Yorktown wrote:Glad to hear the strawberry patch is doing so well. How did your strawberry tower do from last year? I am moving my strawberry plants into pots/ 5 gallon buckets and generally off the ground. This is their last year. If they do not produce much, then they will have to fend for themselves. I am planting raspberries and blueberries this year, plus a strange mini kiwi. I expect it will be a year before I get much of anything. Talk to you soon.

Patty from Yorktown

Patty:

The strawberry tower was planted with a variety that is known for producing well in the second year and poorly in their first so we really don't know if it will be a success or not until later this year. I have been toying around with the idea of tearing the tower down and putting the plants in a regular SFG as the tower itself is just plane Ugly.
(I built it!).

Placing your plants in 5 gallon buckets should do fine. Some varieties of strawberries only produce well in their second year and start to play out in their 4th or 5th year.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 3/29/2011, 10:04 pm

Hi,
I thought your tower was neat. I made my buckets with holes in the side. I also painted them bright blue. I have 3 five gallon buckets. They used to be in a tower stacked on top of each other, topsy turvy style. That proved to be too difficult to water. I took apart the tower and ran a holey pipe down the middle and planted the top. It seems to have helped. I never got around to planting flowers in some of the holes last year. Perhaps this will be the year. The former square of in "ground" strawberries and a huge rosemary plant will be vining veggies this year. The rosemary has gone to a friend. It was big! Only a few strawberries are left to move. The trellis has already been moved. I have never figured out why people rearrange their gardens, yet I am.

Patty in Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down