Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Do I have to remove the grass? Toplef10Do I have to remove the grass? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Do I have to remove the grass? I22gcj10Do I have to remove the grass? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Do I have to remove the grass? Toplef10Do I have to remove the grass? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Do I have to remove the grass? I22gcj10Do I have to remove the grass? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Do I have to remove the grass?

+11
Goosegirl
happycamper
NHGardener
killjug
Squat_Johnson
Mikesgardn
BackyardBirdGardner
camprn
Furbalsmom
elliephant
SlapHappy
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do I have to remove the grass? Empty Do I have to remove the grass?

Post  SlapHappy 2/21/2011, 8:15 pm

I plan on building my first box this week. If I put down the weed barrier and fill my box over the still dormant grass, will I have problems? I'd rather not dig all that up if I don't have to.

Thanks for your help.
SlapHappy
SlapHappy

Male Posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Do I have to remove the grass? Empty Re: Do I have to remove the grass?

Post  elliephant 2/21/2011, 8:20 pm

I put down a layer or two of cardboard first, then staple the weedblock inside the bed and have been happy with the results. I don't have "real" grass, though, just the yucky, clumpy stuff and lots of weeds. I've had to move a few boxes and have been amazed at how bare the earth is underneath after a year.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/21/2011, 8:51 pm

We have had several discussion regarding locating our boxes over grass, some discussion were specific to bermuda grass. Hope the following links help

Bermuda Grass

Weed Fabric
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/21/2011, 10:15 pm

I removed the sod before I put down my boxes. It was a bit more work than simply placing the weed barrier and box upon the grass, but well worth it as I wanted to be sure there would not be grass coming up from below.
I have been pleased with the results.
Sod cut and ready for removal. <~~click
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/22/2011, 12:10 am

SlapHappy wrote:I plan on building my first box this week. If I put down the weed barrier and fill my box over the still dormant grass, will I have problems? I'd rather not dig all that up if I don't have to.

Thanks for your help.

I have built two SFGs in different locations, and haven't even used weed fabric before. It shouldn't be an issue, although some will undoubtedly say they had grass come up through their boxes.....remember, grass will still blow in form time to time.

To be safe, the weedblock should suffice. Being in northern IL, I can only assume you don't have bermuda grass. I can't imagine a southern grass making it north of the "transition zone." You ought to be mostly in bluegrass/fescue country.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  SlapHappy 2/25/2011, 3:44 pm

Thank you all for the advice. Yes, I'm pretty sure I don't have Bermuda grass. I'm going to try the cardboard + weed cloth option that has been mentioned in a few posts.

I might live to regret it, but if it becomes a problem, I'll just dig it up and start over. I'm only doing one 4x4 box this year to start, so it's not a huge thing. If all goes well, I'll add one or two more boxes next spring...
SlapHappy
SlapHappy

Back to top Go down

Post  SlapHappy 2/28/2011, 12:31 pm

Okay, for the record, I've changed my mind (again).

I'm going to remove the grass. However, one of the things I want to avoid is having the box recessed into the ground. So, I'm thinking about doing this...

Dig out the grass from an area slightly larger than my box, say 5' x 5'. Then lay out the weed cloth to cover that whole area, and on top of that, add mulch to bring the whole thing up to ground level. Then put my box and Mel's mix on top of that.

Will that work?
SlapHappy
SlapHappy

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/28/2011, 3:42 pm

That will certainly work, but it's too much "work" for me. I wouldn't worry so much about blocking the grass from underneath, as stuff will still blow in from time to time anyway. Your SFG will never be "perfectly" weed free. I think Mel recommends just dropping the MM on top of grass for a reason, and I have never had a problem, personally, either. The main thing I like about the whole methodology of SFG is "20% of the work."
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  SlapHappy 2/28/2011, 4:03 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:... I think Mel recommends just dropping the MM on top of grass...

I could swear the book says to remove the grass, that's the only reason I am stressing out about this. I'll have to go back and take another look...
SlapHappy
SlapHappy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 2/28/2011, 4:18 pm

I'm pretty sure the book says to remove the grass, and that is what I've done, but it is a pain. The next time I build a box, I'm going to experiment by stapling window screen material (aluminum,not fiberglass) to the bottom of the box. I think that might work, but I'm not sure if it come in 4' widths.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/28/2011, 4:28 pm

SlapHappy wrote:Okay, for the record, I've changed my mind (again).

I'm going to remove the grass. However, one of the things I want to avoid is having the box recessed into the ground. So, I'm thinking about doing this...

Dig out the grass from an area slightly larger than my box, say 5' x 5'. Then lay out the weed cloth to cover that whole area, and on top of that, add mulch to bring the whole thing up to ground level. Then put my box and Mel's mix on top of that.

Will that work?
That sounds like a great plan!! I took up my grass too. Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 2/28/2011, 4:53 pm

While you're at it... If I had it to do again, I would nail hardware cloth to the bottom. I have issues with field mice (voles) eating everything in site. They seem to think Mel's mix is far superior for building tunnels. I bought a couple rolls yesterday, now I have a ton of earth to move from the old boxes...

I would use weed cloth over digging up the grass... Your back will thank you.

Last edited by Squat_Johnson on 2/28/2011, 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  SlapHappy 2/28/2011, 5:32 pm

Squat_Johnson wrote:I would use weed cloth over digging up the grass... Your back will thank you.

So you're saying I could put the weed cloth directly on top of the existing grass, and then the box/mix on top of that? I really really want to believe that.

I checked with the book ("all new" version), and on page 55 (step 5) it says, "Once assembled, move the box to your chosen location, remove grass or weeds, and cover that spot with weed cloth."

I realize Mel's book is a great guide, but doesn't necessarily have to be followed word for word. When I read instructions though, I always feel this need to "do it right".

Man, just when I thought I had my mind made up. Now I don't know what the heck I'm going to do...
SlapHappy
SlapHappy

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/28/2011, 5:39 pm

I removed the sod and put by box right on the dirt. I despise weed barrier for various reasons and will not use it in my gardens.

If you think you want to take up the grass, do it. If you want to put down weed barrier that extends out and mulch, I think that's a fine idea, go ahead and do it. Don't stress too much now, we don't want you to have a stroke and miss the planing season. Wink
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  killjug 2/28/2011, 5:49 pm

I just put down weed cloth last year and the only grass I had come into the boxes came from the outside edge under the boards. My back yard is burmuda. I moved my garden and expanded and I am making a 1 1/2 foot walk of weed cloth and mulch between the yard and garden.
killjug

Male Posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Post  SlapHappy 2/28/2011, 5:58 pm

camprn wrote:I removed the sod and put by box right on the dirt. I despise weed barrier for various reasons and will not use it in my gardens.

I'm totally clueless. Do you mind me asking what are some of your reasons for despising weed barrier?

camprn wrote:If you think you want to take up the grass, do it. If you want to put down weed barrier that extends out and mulch, I think that's a fine idea, go ahead and do it. Don't stress too much now, we don't want you to have a stroke and miss the planing season. Wink

You're right, I'm over thinking all of this. I'm stressing out about this little garden box like my life depended on it. Deep-breath, deep-breath.

... okay, so I still don't know what the heck I'm going to do, but I'm going to try not to think about it for a while. When the time comes, I'm just going to do... something.
SlapHappy
SlapHappy

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 2/28/2011, 6:30 pm

SlapHappy, if it's any consolation, I'm in the same state of frantic about figuring out how to do everything. Whatever we do now will determine the entire growing season's results... No pressure, tho. Smile

I also was surprised at the negative comments surrounding weed barrier/landscaping cloth. There must be a reason for it. I may just use cardboard, which I read about, I believe it's called sheet mulching.

camprn, is cardboard the same thing as weed barrier? Or do you think it's a better option?
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  SlapHappy 2/28/2011, 7:02 pm

NHGardener wrote:Whatever we do now will determine the entire growing season's results... No pressure, tho. Smile

Oh, great! Thanks for helping me relax. Wink

(my garden is doomed)
SlapHappy
SlapHappy

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 2/28/2011, 7:43 pm

You cannot go wrong by using cardboard. I have never used weed cloth but all 7 beds have been started with a layer of cardboard on top of grass. The cardboard biodegrates and becomes worm food.
If you already have the weed cloth, use it. Please do yourself a favor and place cardboard down also, it will only help! Just my two cents. Smile
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 2/28/2011, 8:14 pm

So happycamper, you didn't remove your grass? You just put the cardboard down and then put the MM on top of it?
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/28/2011, 8:47 pm

happycamper wrote:You cannot go wrong by using cardboard. I have never used weed cloth but all 7 beds have been started with a layer of cardboard on top of grass. The cardboard biodegrates and becomes worm food.
If you already have the weed cloth, use it. Please do yourself a favor and place cardboard down also, it will only help! Just my two cents. Smile

I love using cardboard and it works incredibly well. For the last several years I have been using the 'lasagna' method of no-till gardening, where you put down a barrier of cardboard or wet newspaper, then layer your soil builders (compost, leaves, peat, grass clippings, etc) on top. I have NEVER had the grass (or dandelions, or thistles.....) come through the cardboard. Just adding another 2 cents. If we keep this you will need a piggy bank!🐷
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 2/28/2011, 9:13 pm

NHGardener, you are correct. I never removed any grass. I can honestly say that I have not dug or double dug a garden bed in years.
Goosegirl, I agree with you. I have never had any of those nasty weeds grow in the garden either. They sure do grow outside the boxes!
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 2/28/2011, 9:35 pm

Thank you Goosegirl, I just googled lasagna gardening, I had heard of that before but didn't know the particulars.

I was fretting a little about having enough compost to fill my (hopefully, and at least) 4 raised beds, but through the information I looked at regarding the lasagna method, I ran across a comment that our local university (agricultural program) sells finished compost! They recycle their food service waste for the year and turn it into compost and it's available by the bag or yard starting in I believe late April. That's a life saver, since I'm just starting my pile.

Anyway, thanks for that info. One more step towards a productive summer season!
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 3/1/2011, 1:29 am

It all depends on where you are and what kind of grass you have...

Mine? I didn't dig up the grass, and it hasn't put in an appearance. I had very pleasant grass, but nothing very difficult to quash under 6" of MM.

Had I still been in Florida? Yike. I'd have put down titanium, I think! The native grasses (and those planted for lawns) are iron-tough and spread via rhizomes -- tough to kill and will find their way in and around anything.

Some of the folks in England have a grass that has serrated blades -- so it literally cuts right through anything you put over it.

Do what you are comfortable with in your garden, and what you need to do to keep the grasses of your region out of your vegetables.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  SlapHappy 3/1/2011, 12:41 pm

Okay, Mr. flip-flop is back and has changed his mind again (of course).

I'm going to leave the grass. Cardboard + weed cloth, that's it. I think enough people have said that they didn't dig up the grass and were fine, as long as it's not Bermuda. Hopefully it will be nice this weekend so I can just do it, and be done with it, and I won't have to think about it anymore. (yeah right)

Now, to start stressing out about what to plant!

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all that chimed in.
SlapHappy
SlapHappy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next