Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
critter - Could have cried Toplef10critter - Could have cried 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

critter - Could have cried I22gcj10critter - Could have cried 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
critter - Could have cried Toplef10critter - Could have cried 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

critter - Could have cried I22gcj10critter - Could have cried 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Could have cried

+5
LaFee
trustinhart
chocolatepop
Ha-v-v
Bec
9 posters

Go down

critter - Could have cried Empty Could have cried

Post  Bec 8/9/2010, 3:21 pm

I've seen a muskrat in our yard a couple of time and was really hoping it would leave my garden alone. My garden is enclosed in a fence but I do use the fence for tellisis for my winter squashes (and some tomatoes). Well, last week I went out and checked the garden and it had found and eaten 2 of my butternut squashes that were growing on the outside of the fence. (Since I weave the plants through the fence holes some of the fruits do end up on the outside of the fence.) Well that really upset me. BUT - what really concerned me was that I had a huge butternut growing - the biggest I've ever grown - probably even seen, and it was on the outside of the fence. Didn't know what to do about it but I did find that I could raise it up some, hopefully out of reach of the muskrat. Today I went out the check the garden and about 1/3 of my "prize" butternut was gone! A lump developed in my throat as I choked back the tears. Today DH is going to stop at the hardware store on his way home and get some critter repellant for me to try to save the rest of my harvest. I'm just very upset about this - and really hoping the critter repellant works. I'm just venting now but if anyone has any tried and proven remedies - without spending a fortune, I'm all ears.
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

critter - Could have cried Empty Re: Could have cried

Post  Ha-v-v 8/9/2010, 3:29 pm

oh Bec !!!! Im so sorry !! If the repellant doesnt work what about a live animal trap and take him away from that area? I know thats more work, but might be one way. I dont know if he has a whole family or not. I will google muskrat deterrents.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Bec 8/9/2010, 4:11 pm

Ha-v-v, I did think about that but it seemed like such a hassle. If the repellant doesn't work though I might do it anyway. Thanks.
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 8/9/2010, 4:20 pm

I know its a hassle, but not sure other than trapping. And they say to put fencing below ground level. I have looked at a critter ridder from this place.
http://www.havahart.com/ourbrands/critter-ridder
Let us know how it works out. I know this is frustrating, I did refrain from posting the Capt and Tenilles's song Muskrat Love Smile
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 8/9/2010, 7:01 pm

Ok Bec, my thoughts are with you on this muskrat guy, !!! You have been on my mind all day!! And that creature. Hoping the repellant works !!!!
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  Bec 8/9/2010, 7:20 pm

Oh Ha-v-v - you're so sweet. I put down some critter repellant this evening and will see what happens. I discovered ANOTHER butternut that is being eaten. This one is inside the fence. Don't know how it got to it unless it climbed the fence and ate from above it because not only is it hanging on the inside of the fence, it's eaten from the top. Thank you for not posting Muskrat Love. critter - Could have cried Icon_rolleyes

I tell you what - between the squash bugs, the Mexican bean beetles and their eggs and their lavae that I'm having to pick and squash once or twice a day from over 200 bean plants, and now the muskrat - as much as I LOVE gardening - I even got certified to teach SFG, I'm not sure it's worth the pain of it all. I'm just very discouraged right now.
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 8/9/2010, 7:28 pm

I even got certified to teach SFG, I'm not sure it's worth the pain of it all. I'm just very discouraged right now.

Ahhh !! I know discouragement, I did 3 yrs of row gardening with no produce to speak of and lots and lots of weeds!! Ive had luck with the squash because I used BT .. its just worked, but one has to be diligent in it. ( I got overwhelmed and didnt visit the garden) I lost my squash all the way now I think, but Im ok with that.. its fall almost and I can replant.
Another link for muskrat control
http://www.bugspray.com/articles99/muskrat.html
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 8/10/2010, 12:36 am

TRUST ME! I know the pain (I had a whole plethora of critters last year) The repellant can become a hassle also and IMO, doesnt work as well. I would use the deterrant, but get a live trap also.

Lat year we has a ground hog family (mama, daddy, baby), opossum, skunk, and a random turkey. We caught th skunk and baby ground hog last year, and mama ground hog this year. I have had NO issues with critter destruction.

can you get a motion light?
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

critter - Could have cried Empty Re: Could have cried.....

Post  trustinhart 8/10/2010, 1:49 am

Hi Bec, I'm so sorry to hear about your critter problem. I'll bet your beloved butternut was delicious. Plese don't give up!! Pretty soon, you'll get the itch and then the new seed catalogs will come and well, you know. Keep us posted, and you always have friends here.

Kari
trustinhart
trustinhart

Female Posts : 165

Back to top Go down

Post  Bec 8/10/2010, 8:25 am

Thanks for all your encouragement. I'm sure I'll go ahead and garden next year - I do love it too much to stop, but I won't invest any more money into it and won't expand any more like I had planned on doing. I mean - after all - I have 1-1/2 acres that I can garden. What a shame to have the critters and bugs chase me away from my passion. I put out the repellant yesterday afternoon. This morning I went out and checked (was kind of afraid to - afraid of what I'd find) and no more have been disturbed but it's still working on the big squash. I put more repellant out - maybe I didn't put enough. I won't waste it around the half eaten squashes though. They're already destroyed and the repellant isn't cheap. My DH jokingly says "can you say 12-gauge?" I respond "YES I CAN!" critter - Could have cried Icon_twisted The problems got the better of me yesterday and I was literally in tears last night but maybe today will be a better day. I really don't want to buy a cage if I don't have to because I've already spent about $300 last year and about $400 this year on my gardens. That's really too much in my opinion and a lot more expensive than buying the stuff at the Farmer's Market. AND a week ago I strained my back turning compost! Still recuperating from that.
Sorry for all the whining. critter - Could have cried 615992 I know I need to change my attitude and now's the time. critter - Could have cried Fresse Thanks again for all the encouragement and allowing me to vent.
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 8/10/2010, 8:50 am

I really don't want to buy a cage if I don't have to because I've
already spent about $300 last year and about $400 this year on my
gardens.

I have a friend we do rescues together sometimes, she has a live animal trap. I wonder if you could borrow one. I know how frustrating it can be with anything. We too cant spend anymore money on the garden. It all has to go to our house. The one I hope to live in by winter. I would try calling the local animal shelters Smile I bet they would let you borrow a live animal trap.
critter - Could have cried Icon_sunny here is some sunshine today for you Smile
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 8/10/2010, 8:54 am

call your county extension office-- there's a chance that muskrats are a common issue, and there might be a relocation program in place (read: they'll come out and get him for you!) or they might direct you to a place where you could borrow a trap.

There are also wildlife relocation companies that will come and remove all kinds of critters -- it might be the same price as a trap or more, but then you're not stuck with a trap you don't need, and they know exactly how to find and trap your squash thief.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Bec 8/10/2010, 8:58 am

Thanks Ha-v-v and LaFee - those are great ideas! I'll call the extension office today. And thanks for the sunshine! critter - Could have cried Icon_biggrin
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 8/10/2010, 9:35 am

also try craigslist and your local farm and feed. I got a two pack of live traps for $35, and the repellant was $15.
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/10/2010, 10:13 am

Your local Humane Society may have an idea where you can borrow or rent a trap.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Bec 8/10/2010, 10:21 am

Great ideas everyone! Thanks!
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 8/10/2010, 8:22 pm

I remember a winter that me and my Dad sat out in the cold with a 22 and a sling shot, spotting by moonlight, picking off rabbits that were chewing the bark off his fruit trees.. maybe extreme but it worked... I know they market big cat dung collected at zoos, wonder if sprinkling that around would scare off the musk rat?? Hang in there !!
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

critter - Could have cried Empty Critter woes

Post  ander217 8/11/2010, 7:50 am

A couple of cheap things you might try - play a radio in your garden at night if the neighbors don't complain, and keep a light shining on the area if possible. This works well for skunks, too.

Another thing to try if you don't have a personal problem with it is to have your husband urinate around the perimeter of your garden area. (Outside the garden, of course!) It helps with the rabbits here, so it might work on muskrats, too. It has to be "replenished" after each rain. You can buy expensive predator animal urine, such as bobcat, to use as pest deterrents but we've found that human urine works nearly as well.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

critter - Could have cried Empty Critter woes

Post  Bec 8/11/2010, 8:31 am

Ander217, hah - I wouldn't have a problem with that but I can guarantee you he would. critter - Could have cried Icon_eek

sceleste64, I'd seriously consider shooting it (if I could catch it in the act) but I'm sure the neighbors would have a problem with us shooting a gun in our yard. It would have to be one shot only though because with the second shot people would be able to figure out where the shot came from. critter - Could have cried Icon_rolleyes

I don't think I could get a light out there and neighbors might have a problem with the radio. I'm not sure when it comes out anyway. I've seen it in the early evening, early morning, and the grandkids saw it one day when they arrived in the afternoon, and I'm pretty sure it got one of my squashes during the afternoon - unless I missed it when checking the garden in the morning - but I don't think I did.

I haven't gone out and checked the garden yet today - busy morning. Am holding my breath (not literally) about what I'll find today when I do have a chance to get out there. Speaking about busy - I'd better get off of here. Have my paying job to do (work at home) and have grandkids here today.
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 8/11/2010, 9:40 am

do you have any electrical source near the garden?
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Back to top Go down

Post  Bec 8/11/2010, 9:43 am

Nope - no electrical source by garden.
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/11/2010, 9:55 am

Here's another alternative.

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bec 8/11/2010, 10:02 am

Interesting idea Boffer. I'll check into it. Thanks. I think I only have 4 butternuts left that haven't been destroyed. Hopefully I can save them - and keep the critters away from the pumpkins. They're undamaged so far.
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum