Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mel's Mix Toplef10Mel's Mix 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mel's Mix I22gcj10Mel's Mix 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mel's Mix Toplef10Mel's Mix 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mel's Mix I22gcj10Mel's Mix 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by sanderson Today at 3:39 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mel's Mix

+3
Kelejan
yolos
skidmoca
7 posters

Go down

Mel's Mix Empty Mel's Mix

Post  skidmoca Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:12 pm

Hi everyone!

I just did a search on Mel's Mix and was very surprised that it came up empty.  This is my first year trying the SFG plan and today I got my space ready.  Next step is to mix up something to plant in!  If anyone has advice, suggestions, dos and don'ts, they would be greatly appreciated.  Also, if anyone is from around the Hamilton Ontario area and has suggestions for where to get peat moss/vermiculite/compost, I would like to hear from you.

Thanks
skidmoca
skidmoca

Female Posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Mel's Mix Empty Re: Mel's Mix

Post  yolos Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:30 pm

skidmoca wrote:Hi everyone!

I just did a search on Mel's Mix and was very surprised that it came up empty.  This is my first year trying the SFG plan and today I got my space ready.  Next step is to mix up something to plant in!  If anyone has advice, suggestions, dos and don'ts, they would be greatly appreciated.  Also, if anyone is from around the Hamilton Ontario area and has suggestions for where to get peat moss/vermiculite/compost, I would like to hear from you.

Thanks
I don't know why it did not come up (not for me either)???  But here is a pretty good discussion.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t7451-mel-s-mix-how-strong-is-your-backbone
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:44 pm

@skidmoca: is Hamilton anywhere near Ottawa?  If so the Trolley Driver gets around a bit and may be able to help you.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:55 pm

Kelejan wrote:@skidmoca: is Hamilton anywhere near Ottawa?  If so the Trolley Driver gets around a bit and may be able to help you.
Unfortunately, Hamilton is a five or six hour drive from Ottawa on a good driving day with a biobreak during the trip.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:33 am

Skidmoca, You can find most of what you want at Home Depot or Lowes and what ever else is the big box store in Canada. Have you read the book All New Square Foot Gardening? All is revealed.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  skidmoca Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:37 pm

sanderson wrote:Skidmoca,  You can find most of what you want at Home Depot or Lowes and what ever else is the big box store in Canada.  Have you read the book All New Square Foot Gardening?  All is revealed.
I got the book for Christmas, which started me down this path.  I was wondering if there are other stores that sell it.  I've seen various varieties of compost which will help.
skidmoca
skidmoca

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:26 pm

Skidmoca, unfortunately you may not find coarse vermiculite in large quantities at a big box store such as Home Depot in Canada. I get mine at a place called Ritchie Feed & Seed in Ottawa for about $30 Cda for four cubic feet. You need to look beyond the regular stores and check out the bigger greenhouse, garden centres and seed stores. There has to be a ton of such places in and around Hamilton and the Niagara Peninsula given the amount of agriculture and fruit/flower/vegetable growing in that area. BTW I used to live not far from you in St.Catharines right next to Niagara Falls. One other thing is that the vermiculite may not be out on display. You need to ask someone knowledgeable if they have it in stock. I would never have known Ricthie Feed and Seed had it if I has not asked. Even then the guy tried to talk me into getting medium rather than large (coarse) vermiculite. You could also try to find an SFG Certified Instructor in your area who may be able to steer you in the direction for the MM supplies. I wish you much success.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  skidmoca Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:19 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Skidmoca, unfortunately you may not find coarse vermiculite in large quantities at a big box store such as Home Depot in Canada. I get mine at a place called Ritchie Feed & Seed in Ottawa for about $30 Cda for four cubic feet. You need to look beyond the regular stores and check out the bigger greenhouse, garden centres and seed stores. There has to be a ton of such places in and around Hamilton and the Niagara Peninsula given the amount of agriculture and fruit/flower/vegetable growing in that area. BTW I used to live not far from you in St.Catharines right next to Niagara Falls. One other thing is that the vermiculite may not be out on display. You need to ask someone knowledgeable if they have it in stock. I would never have known Ricthie Feed and Seed had it if I has not asked. Even then the guy tried to talk me into getting medium rather than large (coarse) vermiculite. You could also try to find an SFG Certified Instructor in your area who may be able to steer you in the direction for the MM supplies. I wish you much success.
Thanks trollydriver, this is the kind of info I was hoping for.  I'll scout around for a local business before trying any big box places.  If a 4' x 8' garden holds 32 squares, how many squares will four cubic feet cover?  I'm starting with 40 squares.  Any other advice about mixing is welcome.  Hope to get the 2 x 8 box going this weekend because it will hold my peas and lettuce.  The other 3 x 8 space will be for warmer crops.  My husband put in a raised bed in an unused space last summer.  It's against a fence and is about 8 x 8.  So I end up with 2 x 8 and 3 x 8 with a path in between.  Working with what I have!    Rolling Eyes
skidmoca
skidmoca

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:06 am

Assuming you mix equal parts of vermiculite, peat moss and compost in quantities of four cubic feet each, that makes a total of 4+4+4=12 cubic feet.  If you want a depth of six inches or 1/2 foot that will give you 12x1/2=24 squares.  

A box of 32 squares filled to a 6 inch depth will require a total of 32x1/2=16 cubic feet of material. 

When mixing I use a bucket (e.g., a 5 gallon bucket) to measure out equal quantities of ingredients and mix in small batches. Don't forget that the compost ideally should be made from five different sources. For me the easiest way is to mix batches of compost first before combining the compost with the vermiculite and peat moss.

Now here is something very important. Peat moss is compressed in its package. The amount of peat moss will expand when it is fluffed up. You must fluff up the peat moss before combining it in equal quantities with the other ingredients. As well, some store bought composts contain peat moss as filler which also will throw off the ratio. If you can determine how much filler in the compost, I suggest adjusting the amount of actual pure peat moss and increasing the amount of compost accordingly.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  skidmoca Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:39 am

trolleydriver wrote:Assuming you mix equal parts of vermiculite, peat moss and compost in quantities of four cubic feet each, that makes a total of 4+4+4=12 cubic feet.  If you want a depth of six inches or 1/2 foot that will give you 12x1/2=24 squares.  

A box of 32 squares filled to a 6 inch depth will require a total of 32x1/2=16 cubic feet of material. 

When mixing I use a bucket (e.g., a 5 gallon bucket) to measure out equal quantities of ingredients and mix in small batches. Don't forget that the compost ideally should be made from five different sources. For me the easiest way is to mix batches of compost first before combining the compost with the vermiculite and peat moss.

Now here is something very important. Peat moss is compressed in its package. The amount of peat moss will expand when it is fluffed up. You must fluff up the peat moss before combining it in equal quantities with the other ingredients. As well, some store bought composts contain peat moss as filler which also will throw off the ratio. If you can determine how much filler in the compost, I suggest adjusting the amount of actual pure peat moss and increasing the amount of compost accordingly.
Thanks for all the tips
Is this what I'm looking for?  Seems a little too coarse.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/like/142688276013?vectorid=229529&lgeo=1&item=142688276013&rmvSB=true
skidmoca
skidmoca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:54 am

TD, Great information! Very Happy

Skidmoca, Coarse is what you want.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:51 pm

skidmoca wrote:
sanderson wrote:Skidmoca,  You can find most of what you want at Home Depot or Lowes and what ever else is the big box store in Canada.  Have you read the book All New Square Foot Gardening?  All is revealed.
I got the book for Christmas, which started me down this path.  I was wondering if there are other stores that sell it.  I've seen various varieties of compost which will help.

Vermiculite is used in the construction industry for insulation fill  between floors , walls and round the back of fireplaces.  some times called " Mica  Fill " .

Perhaps try looking to builders merchants who sell brick cements etc as they might sell it too .

PS.  Have you checked out our sites vermiculite sourcing thread ?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  skidmoca Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:31 am

plantoid wrote:
skidmoca wrote:

Vermiculite is used in the construction industry for insulation fill  between floors , walls and round the back of fireplaces.  some times called " Mica  Fill " .

Perhaps try looking to builders merchants who sell brick cements etc as they might sell it too .

PS.  Have you checked out our sites vermiculite sourcing thread ?
Very interesting comment, plantoid, because for some reason I keep thinking I need to go to Hamilton Builders Supply, but I didn't know why.  It's that little voice that is always guiding you, but you don't always listen.  Now I know what to ask them for and why I'm supposed to go there.  Patience is a virtue, you will get what you need in time!
skidmoca
skidmoca

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:24 pm

Try local mom and pop farm supply shops. If you can get vermiculite there, try ordering the super course. Thats what I have been using and in my opinion should be labeled course. If you can get them to order from their distributor, it would be best to pick up everything you need from them in order to establish a nice relationship for further needs.
As you can see below the labeled course is not really course it should be medium or less.
Vermiculite grades are known to be spotty.
  Mel's Mix Vermic10
Mel's Mix Super_10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:08 am

Informative. Thanks.