Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - Question About Strawberries Toplef10strawberries - Question About Strawberries 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - Question About Strawberries I22gcj10strawberries - Question About Strawberries 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - Question About Strawberries Toplef10strawberries - Question About Strawberries 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - Question About Strawberries I22gcj10strawberries - Question About Strawberries 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Today at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Question About Strawberries

+5
trolleydriver
Kelejan
donnainzone5
Judy McConnell
shargets healthy
9 posters

Go down

strawberries - Question About Strawberries Empty Question About Strawberries

Post  shargets healthy 6/19/2017, 1:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I have strawberry plants growing in a box along the back of my house.  I have been growing them there for about 4 years now with no problems.  This year however, they all seem to have a whitish film on them.  Does anyone know what this is and are they still safe to eat?
shargets healthy
shargets healthy

Back to top Go down

strawberries - Question About Strawberries Empty Re: Question About Strawberries

Post  Judy McConnell 6/19/2017, 1:11 pm

Sounds like a fungus.  
See: http://www.wikihow.com/Identify-and-Treat-Strawberry-Diseases
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

strawberries - Question About Strawberries Empty Re: Question About Strawberries

Post  donnainzone5 6/19/2017, 2:11 pm

Shar,

Are these the original strawberry plants?  If so, four years generally is about their limit.

You probably need to replace them soon.  Many people cut and dig the "mother" runners (the ones that have started to root), then re-plant them. 

I pulled out my old strawberry bed this spring and am using the debris as a compost ingredient.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/21/2017, 12:23 am

My first strawberry bed has not produced much this year and I know I should have cleaned it up. 

I do have another bed that is producing well and this is its second year.  So time to prepared another bed to replace the first one.

Mine are June  bearing.  What do you prefer, ever bearing or June  bearing?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/21/2017, 1:12 pm

Ideally, I'd have one bed each of June and everbearing strawberries.  That way, I'd have berries from June until post-frost.  (Boy, do strawberries taste great when lightly frosted!)

Kelejean, your two-year-olds should be good for another year, possibly two.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/21/2017, 1:15 pm

My everbearing strawberry bed has turned into a disaster. There is plenty of new growth and there are lots of flowers. However, every berry gets infected by fungus as it ripens. I expect the problem is grey mold fungus which has been exacerbated by the very wet Spring conditions.  

I'm going to thin out the bed (e.g., remove some foliage) to try to improve air circulation. But I expect the disease is in the plants and they will have to be destroyed.

I told Mrs TD at the beginning of the season that if the strawberries fail us this year then this 4x4 bed will be used for something else next year. Will I need to replace the MM before using the bed to grow other things?
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/21/2017, 1:35 pm

Aw, TD...that is so sad. I'm still having a foggy cool wet spring here, altho the sun is trying to peek out today...FINALLY. Rolling Eyes

I don't know the answer to your question but I want to insert that my 5 yr old in ground strawberry bed has never had issues other than critters & bugs eating the berries. I use the BTE method, but instead of wood chips, I leave whatever pine needles & leaves fall on it every fall. The only thing I do is throw some compost atop the bed every spring and lay on some critter netting when the berries start to blush. Once I threw on some seaweed, probably early spring.

The new stronger plants pop up thru the mulch and grow, without any help from me, while the old tired plants must just die off I guess, but I've never looked under the mulch to see what's going on. This bed receives lots TLN - tender loving neglect - and it seems to be working fine so far.

Don't give up. Maybe you have a little corner in your yard where you could try again?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/21/2017, 1:59 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Aw, TD...that is so sad.  I'm still having a foggy cool wet spring here, altho the sun is trying to peek out today...FINALLY.  Rolling Eyes

I don't know the answer to your question but I want to insert that my 5 yr old in ground strawberry bed has never had issues other than critters & bugs eating the berries.  I use the BTE method, but instead of wood chips, I leave whatever pine needles & leaves fall on it every fall.  The only thing I do is throw some compost atop the bed every spring and lay on some critter netting when the berries start to blush.  Once I threw on some seaweed, probably early spring.

The new stronger plants pop up thru the mulch and grow, without any help from me, while the old tired plants must just die off I guess, but I've never looked under the mulch to see what's going on.  This bed receives lots TLN - tender loving neglect - and it seems to be working fine so far.  

Don't give up.  Maybe you have a little corner in your yard where you could try again?
We used to grow strawberries quite well in our regular soil garden. Not sure why we are having trouble in the SFG raised bed.  I'm wondering if the plants we bought last year were already infected and that is what brought in the fungus problem. Mrs TD is not happy about this situation at all. Sadly strawberries are one of the few things she really likes from the garden (in addition to her raspberries, ground cherries and rhubarb that is). 

The following is a good video on how to deal with the mold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjlA60HtNPo
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/21/2017, 3:14 pm

I just took the snippers to the strawberry bed. I left very few plants and even those that are left I thinned out brutally. Most of the other plants have been chopped right down. Almost every bunch of strawberries had one or more fruit that showed signs of fungus. I'll drench the bed with a baking soda solution and see what happens. But it looks to me like it is finished.  Sad
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/21/2017, 3:38 pm

Good job! I'm rootin' for ya.

I can't listen to the vid while at work. If you have to pull out all the plants, can you soak the MM with the solution to save the MM?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/21/2017, 3:49 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Good job!  I'm rootin' for ya.

I can't listen to the vid while at work.  If you have to pull out all the plants, can you soak the MM with the solution to save the MM?  
I'm really hoping I can save the MM for future use. If I can't save the strawberry plants then I will try growing something else in that SFG bed later this summer or next year. I'm leaning toward cut flowers as a possibility but that may have to wait until next year.  I'll try strawberries again but not in the SFG; they will go into a regular soil bed. BTW I am definitely NOT blaming SFG for what has happened to the strawberries.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 6/21/2017, 10:45 pm

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the strawberries TD. It must have been the rainy weather that took its toll. Don't give up though. It really does sound like you somehow got infected plants...and the fungus spread. 

This is the third year my kids grow strawberries in the SFGs and their plants are doing fine. The same goes for the plants I have in my front yard SFG. Some of the plants in our back yard did have berries that shrivelled up and died though. I tend to have similar plants growing in several locations- some of which work out...

The strawberries are case in point for this.
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/22/2017, 7:22 am

Mimi2 wrote:Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the strawberries TD. It must have been the rainy weather that took its toll. Don't give up though. It really does sound like you somehow got infected plants...and the fungus spread. 

This is the third year my kids grow strawberries in the SFGs and their plants are doing fine. The same goes for the plants I have in my front yard SFG. Some of the plants in our back yard did have berries that shrivelled up and died though. I tend to have similar plants growing in several locations- some of which work out...

The strawberries are case in point for this.
Mimi ... are you growing everbearing or June/July bearing strawberry plants? How many per square?  I have one everbearing plant per square in my 4x4 SFG bed and they were getting very crowded.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/22/2017, 8:24 pm

I am planning a 3x7 for berries....1/3 June bearing, 1/3 all year, and 1/3 day neutral.  I have no idea what I am doing, I just love strawberries.

Any input for variety is appreciated!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/22/2017, 9:59 pm

Scorpio,

Grab yourself a good catalog--or three!  The best ones feature hardiness, flavor, best uses, etc.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/23/2017, 7:37 am

There is also a website dedicated to strawberries. All sorts of interesting information, including what grows best in each state.

http://strawberryplants.org/2010/10/strawberry-varieties-by-state/

You might also talk to your local Extension Agent.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/24/2017, 12:35 am

Some of my early strawberries were not very nice at all due to what seemed the eternal wet weather and lack of sunshine we have had here in the Interior of British Columbia.

Now the weather has warmed up it seemed that in two days my second year  bed is doing very well, producing two pounds of large, juicy berries with lots more to come.

I find it amazing that from small green berries the one at the top of the clusters grows huge in a day or so.  No doubt that tomorrow I will have a similar yield each day so long as it is warm and dry and all the berries have grown up.

My first bed has had its day with only a few berries priduced this season.  I will make a new bed and this time I am going to try a two-foot wide one as I find it so hard to reach into the midst of a 4 x 4.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/24/2017, 7:32 pm

Thanks for the link, AM!

KJ, had no idea they came on so fast!  I cannot wait to do a bed of my own!  I hear you about the depth of beds....just spent hours in a 3x7 full of tomatoes.  Never again!  It was like Welcome to the Jungle in there!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/25/2017, 7:37 am

Glad to help, SR. I've found it very helpful for me & I don't even have a dedicated bed yet, lol!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/30/2017, 4:08 pm

Our everbearing strawberries growing in a 4x4 All New SFG bed have been doing great after I cut them back earlier in the summer due to mold. They just keep on producing. Here is what I got today.strawberries - Question About Strawberries Img_4633
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/30/2017, 4:11 pm

Shocked Unbelievable, TD....it's like cut and come again.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/30/2017, 5:03 pm

CapeCoddess wrote: Shocked Unbelievable, TD....it's like cut and come again.
And the plants are still loaded with ripening strawberries.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 8/30/2017, 9:40 pm

Glad your strawberry luck has turned around TD. I have several types of strawberries many of which appear to have a second crop. I like the strawberries because they are pretty plants, come back year after year and are very popular with the family. As mentioned in other threads- I alao grow raspberries, blueberries and red currants. For the strawberries I started off with flats of small plants, and hanging baskets ( which I transplant into my SFG). I use the runners in new squares. They appear to do best in year 2 and 3.
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/31/2017, 8:45 am

Mimi2 wrote:Glad your strawberry luck has turned around TD. I have several types of strawberries many of which appear to have a second crop. I like the strawberries because they are pretty plants, come back year after year and are very popular with the family. As mentioned in other threads- I alao grow raspberries, blueberries and red currants. For the strawberries I started off with flats of small plants, and hanging baskets ( which I transplant into my SFG). I use the runners in new squares. They appear to do best in year 2 and 3.
Hi Mimi. Good to hear from you again. I expect you are busy now preparing for your children to go back to school.  Very Happy

When do you remove the runners and move them to new squares? Should it be done now? I did it in the late Spring.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down