Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
critter - Critter Protection for the beds - new design Toplef10critter - Critter Protection for the beds - new design 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

critter - Critter Protection for the beds - new design I22gcj10critter - Critter Protection for the beds - new design 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
critter - Critter Protection for the beds - new design Toplef10critter - Critter Protection for the beds - new design 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

critter - Critter Protection for the beds - new design I22gcj10critter - Critter Protection for the beds - new design 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Critter Protection for the beds - new design

+4
herblover
Ginger Blue
yolos
sanderson
8 posters

Go down

critter - Critter Protection for the beds - new design Empty Critter Protection for the beds - new design

Post  sanderson 4/10/2017, 2:12 am

I saw this on Facebook, and with the designer's permission, I am posting here.  All four sides can be opened. Design by Michael Quentin Fey. critter - Critter Protection for the beds - new design Critte11
critter - Critter Protection for the beds - new design Critte10

Directions:

"4ft long, 18" tall, 24" long dowel rods (1" diameter)

5" PVC sections with 1" internal diameter. Hardware cloth cut to 17"x4ft sections and stapled. I predrilled everything before screwing. Made each side individually, brought the section to the box, kept the rods in the PVC before mounting the brackets. It is important to label side each with corresponding PVC for the gates to fit properly. They aren't interchangeable."

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

critter - Critter Protection for the beds - new design Empty Re: Critter Protection for the beds - new design

Post  sanderson 4/10/2017, 3:33 am

Got to thinking. For those who mow around the beds, the 1" PVC holders could be secured inside the beds, making adjustments to the size so the gates can fit. Sort of like I do with my "cup bolders", only those I install in the inside corners and mid way on long beds.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

critter - Critter Protection for the beds - new design Empty Re: Critter Protection for the beds - new design

Post  yolos 4/10/2017, 8:55 am

I like it.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 4/10/2017, 9:09 am

Funny you would post this today, because I was thinking of something like this last night.

From the angle of the photo, it's hard to tell what the corners look like. Is there a small gap between the gate supports at each corner, where mice, voles, or other small creatures could squeeze in? If so, would mounting the gates from inside the box remedy that?
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 4/10/2017, 11:40 am

Very nice!  I have 4x1 wooden frames topped with 3' high chicken wire which works well.  They are new this year because my old ones finally fell apart and the wire was all bent in. I think I had shorter wire before as well.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/10/2017, 1:45 pm

I think the craftsmanship is what will determine whether anything can squeeze in between the corners, whether inside or outside.  Or, put screws part way in on the tops and bind together with a Goody elastic.

Mice can climb up anything, so a matching lid would be needed to be mouse/rat proof. I even had one dig under the open-bottom worm bin to get to the new food, so hardware cloth on the bottom would also be needed.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/10/2017, 6:06 pm

A hook and an eye holding the sides tightly together could easily be added to easily open the sides when needed.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Banned Member 4/11/2017, 7:41 am

Who can come up with an addition to this design to keep squirrels out as well?  What type of removable top could be added that would not hinder the sunlight?

Your dog looks like he/she is posing and smiling for the camera.  Give him/her a pet for me.  Dogs are the best people.
Banned Member

Male Posts : 144

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/11/2017, 9:54 am

TNGeezer wrote:Who can come up with an addition to this design to keep squirrels out as well?  What type of removable top could be added that would not hinder the sunlight?

Your dog looks like he/she is posing and smiling for the camera.  Give him/her a pet for me.  Dogs are the best people.
Make a panel just like the sides (without the dowels) and just lay it on the top.  Or make a critter cage like what is in Mel's book.  This is the design.  Complements of Trolleydriver in his thread A First Time SFG in Canada.  Of course this would depend on how big of a bed you are trying to cover.  

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t19481-a-first-time-sfg-in-canada
critter - Critter Protection for the beds - new design DSCN8601_zpsd2fjfwtn
yolos
yolos

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/11/2017, 4:45 pm

yolos wrote:
TNGeezer wrote:Who can come up with an addition to this design to keep squirrels out as well?  What type of removable top could be added that would not hinder the sunlight?
Make a panel just like the sides (without the dowels) and just lay it on the top.  Or make a critter cage like what is in Mel's book.  This is the design.  Complements of Trolleydriver in his thread A First Time SFG in Canada.  Of course this would depend on how big of a bed you are trying to cover.  

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t19481-a-first-time-sfg-in-canada
critter - Critter Protection for the beds - new design DSCN8601_zpsd2fjfwtn
+1

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/11/2017, 4:51 pm

I've done well keeping squirrels out using Mel's hoop tunnels with some netting thrown over it. Keep it tight so they can't find an opening and then they don't bother.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

critter - Critter Protection for the beds - new design Empty hinged cover

Post  Frost? 3/3/2022, 10:57 am

"Conestoga" style hinged cover for critter deterrence; affords ability to cover with burlap for sun protection, to minimize rain damage, or cover with plastic drop cloth for greenhousing.

critter - Critter Protection for the beds - new design 100_6618
Frost?
Frost?

Male Posts : 138

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/3/2022, 9:48 pm

Thanks for sharing.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 3/4/2022, 8:53 am

The hinge affair on the Conestoga type makes  a lot more sense than the flap down front we made, which is a pain to lift up out of the way.

That's mostly because right now, I have a green house plastic cover on for winter.  It also has zippers and a like fold back opening on the front. Only we didn't get the seams / zippers lined up correctly.  (We put the chicken wire on in Summer, while the covers were stowed away. Forgot the zippers weren't at the corners.) 

If the cage hinged out of the way, the covers would just stay in place, and hinge out with them.  Better winter access.  Thanks, Very Happy forwarded photo.
Soose
Soose

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Frost? 3/4/2022, 9:29 am

Exactly.  I actually keep the burlap/plastic in place over the chicken wire with bungee cords across from front to back (maybe 3).  I started similarly to you, holding the flap up with a stick while I'm trying to nip leaves (and getting poked by free ends of the chicken wire).  The hinges are simple - nothing extravagant.  A couple of conduit clamps and a scrap of 2x4.

critter - Critter Protection for the beds - new design Clamp_10critter - Critter Protection for the beds - new design Stop_b10
Frost?
Frost?

sanderson and Soose like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 3/4/2022, 9:50 am

Thanks, Frost,  I was wondering about hinges on the Conestoga style.
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  Frost? 3/4/2022, 9:56 am

Soose wrote:Thanks, Frost,  I was wondering about hinges on the Conestoga style.

My pleasure.  Everything I do is on the cheap!
Frost?
Frost?

sanderson and Soose like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down