Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
drip systems - has55's R & D Journey - Page 2 Toplef10drip systems - has55's R & D Journey - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

drip systems - has55's R & D Journey - Page 2 I22gcj10drip systems - has55's R & D Journey - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
drip systems - has55's R & D Journey - Page 2 Toplef10drip systems - has55's R & D Journey - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

drip systems - has55's R & D Journey - Page 2 I22gcj10drip systems - has55's R & D Journey - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

has55's R & D Journey

+22
has55
No_Such_Reality
countrynaturals
toledobend
AtlantaMarie
ralitaco
Ginger Blue
BeetlesPerSqFt
donnainzone5
camprn
newbeone
herblover
RoOsTeR
jimmy cee
plantoid
audrey.jeanne.roberts
sfg4uKim
trolleydriver
Kelejan
dstack
Scorpio Rising
sanderson
26 posters

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

drip systems - has55's R & D Journey - Page 2 Empty Re: has55's R & D Journey

Post  Kelejan 9/3/2016, 4:17 pm

Texas is certainly different from British Columbia.

I flew to Texas from bC in somewhere around 1982 in April.  I left a late fall of snow to a 72F in San Antonio.  I sure noticed the difference.

I, too, would fill the lower level of my bed with biomass and then would expect the top layer to inoculate the lower level given time.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 9/3/2016, 11:49 pm

I'm a huge proponent of building the soil food web every way I can.  My hubby thinks I'm a little "off my rocker" sometimes - I take black trash bags with us when we go camping and gather a wide assortment of forest floor material (a little bit from here and there in a non-national forest area).  I bring it home for the microbial life stored in it so that I can increase my soil health and variety of fungal life.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/4/2016, 12:43 am

I'm with you, Audrey-Jeanne. Most times I have a folded-up bag with, just in case.

Sometimes I have picked up horse droppings. Once we had a horseman touring with his horse and he asked permission to tether his horse outside in the car park under some trees. After he left I took my plastic bag and picked everything up to add to my compost pile.  Sadly, we seldom see any horses around now. Sad

When we had to use a ferry to cross the Columbia River I always remember the notices telling one to be in control of their horse.  Now we have a $25 Million Bridge to connect the two communities and it certainly is not for the benefit of pedestrians but for the paper mill as it crosses the river in the opposite angle for us so that it takes about an hour to walk instead of the 15 minute ferry ride.  Such is progress.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

drip systems - has55's R & D Journey - Page 2 Empty Has55's Research Journey: Hydroponic Garden for profit at $918 per square foot, income, annually

Post  has55 9/5/2016, 5:30 pm

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

drip systems - has55's R & D Journey - Page 2 Empty Understanding the Soil Food Web with Dr Elaine Ingham at the oxford Real Farming Conference

Post  has55 9/5/2016, 6:31 pm

Some people rather read than watch a video. these are the notes from the 
The Roots of Your Profits - Dr Elaine Ingham, Soil Microbiologist, Founder of Soil Foodweb Inc
 Dr. Ingham was the keynote speaker at the Oxford Real Farming Conference in 2015.  she discussed …what is going on down there in the life of the soil? Who is eating who? Who is releasing and who is locking up nutrients? How can you put these organisms to work and reduce your own workload?    She explained why inorganic fertilisers kill the organisms that would allow you to not use inorganic fertilisers, herbicides and pesticides and not to have to cultivate your soil so often.  She talked about “how to enhance the beneficial organisms in your soil” together with some comments on how to making compost, compost tea and extracts.  Good start is the book,"Teaming with microbes,". This lecture goes to another level. You can learn more from her website (http://www.soilfoodweb.com)    You can find the slides from that talk below:
Elaine Ingham ORFC 2015 Presentation
Here's a sample pictures of the bacterial fungal ratio in the soil from on of the pages-working toward a fungal dominated compost.
drip systems - has55's R & D Journey - Page 2 Image

here's the video that goes with the notes.. It posted earlier in the thread. 
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/5/2016, 8:29 pm

I think all these figures are assuming that everything is perfect.

Fourteen bell peppers of every plant?

I really do not believe this.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/6/2016, 4:51 am

Interesting, but you have to have a market. And, electricity for hydroponics, and grow lights if you go that way. California electricity costs $$$$. I wish it didn't have the "political" slant, though, but I do like the part of sharing bounty with the less fortunate.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/6/2016, 5:06 am

Got distracted from going to bed when I started reading some of her articles! Shocked

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/6/2016, 5:26 am

These fully automated sow ,grow ,weed & harvest  hydroponics do work , The investment is tremendous for some of the really big set up but once it's set up within four or five years you should be breaking even .

There is a new style set up initially costing well over $ 100,000 USD using 3 foot high raised beds  with precision capacitor measuring scales on each side of the bed . It's a full computer programmable obby and works a bit like a laser printer or a CNC machine 
 You buy the programmes select which one foot square planting pattern you want and fill the hopper with pelleted seeds . They are then sown precisely in place ,  after that they get regular fine spray watering at set intervals .

Wedding & pests ,a scanner  head looks for things growing out of the precise pattern line , it zaps anything not sown so weeding is easy .

Initially the price was thought to be well out the pocket of most people but the take up was amazing so prices have tumbled I think it says they are about  about 1800 dollars these days .. they may well drop even further when the Chinese bring out their version of it  .

Here is the information site

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/news/farmbot-intends-to-revolutionize-home-gardening/
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 9/6/2016, 10:19 am

sanderson wrote:Got distracted from going to bed when I started reading some of her articles! Shocked
LOL. I did the same thing, but since I work nights, I end up going to bed late in the daytime. I have to work on this.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 9/6/2016, 10:27 am

AWAMZING INFO!
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/6/2016, 2:47 pm

Very interesting. It uses raised beds, real "soil" with it's microorganisms, sun, etc. How many of us would use it, to what extent, if it was affordable?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/6/2016, 3:12 pm

I forsee that commercial growers will be using the vertical racks hundreds of feet long in 25 yard wide poly tunnels and using one or more fully robotic machines to sow   , tend the crop , pick ,  pack & put it on drop side semi the trailers .

One or two people will be able to control millions of plants

We've already seen the advent of Hydroponically produced strawberries being grown on hundreds of  columns. There are machines that pick apples , plums & pears etc.  So how long before vertical hydroponics are mainstream with countries such as Israel , Australia , China & the USA ...... two or three years?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/6/2016, 9:02 pm

The four acre indoor hydroponic operation in the following links is not far from where I live.

https://www.realagriculture.com/2015/05/these-cucumbers-glow-pink-a-tour-of-suntech-greenhouse/

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/suntech-greenhouses-using-led-lights-to-mimic-sun-1.2778785
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

drip systems - has55's R & D Journey - Page 2 Empty Has55's Research Journey:free-The Gardener’s Guide TO PERFECT GARDEN SOIL

Post  has55 9/26/2016, 9:32 pm

Lynn Gillespie, is giving away a free download of soil building. You have to recheck your email for confirmation to get it. It's all in color. here's the email. She also ask for you answer a survey on what challenges you're having in your email. You don't have to do it, The download is really free. 
here's an example :

Soil Secret #3
MAINTAINING A LIVING SOIL
1. Never putting anything chemical on the garden or the plants.
2. Feeding the soil to keep the microbes thriving with organic compost and organic natural fertilizers.
3. Turning the soil as little as possible to prevent damage to the microbes.
4. Mulching the garden to give the microbes a cozy home and a source of food. 

Here's the email, I received.the link is within it.

Hello Friend,
For some time now, many of you have had plenty of questions about our secret soil mix. It is the key to the High Performance Garden’s success! 
You asked, and now it’s time to deliver.
Over the past couple of months I have been writing a soil guide to help new gardeners as they create the garden of their dreams.  
The soil recipes and advice contained in this PDF are priceless. For the next couple of weeks I am giving it away for free!
Why would I do such a thing? Because I understand the many frustrations that came with your last gardening season, and I don’t want you to have another year like that.
By putting in a little bit of time into your garden’s soil today, you will reap the rewards for decades later. I’m going on 30 years of garden success because of the soil recipe I used 30 years ago in my garden. 
>> Click Here to Download the Gardener’s Guide to Perfect Soil
Go on ahead and get started! I look forward to seeing how your garden flourishes! 
All you need to do is click on the link below. 
>> Click Here to Download the Gardener’s Guide to Perfect Soil
May your garden be easy, fun, productive, and always organic!
Lynn
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/27/2016, 5:37 pm

Got it, did the survey and was then invited to pay for a course. The download is good and I like her videos that I have seen in the past.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/27/2016, 8:20 pm

I had trouble downloading so I quit. I'll try again.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/27/2016, 8:40 pm

Got it downloaded.  This is just my take:  It looks like you choose at least one item from each box.  From Box 1, I chose vermiculite, Box 2 peat moss, and Box 3 compost with a side dressing of worm castings.  Mix and put in some type of container or raised beds.  All that's needed to make it a SFG is a grid.  Mel got it right, maybe without even knowing what is going on underground.  Yeah Mel!!  drip systems - has55's R & D Journey - Page 2 3170584802

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 9/28/2016, 6:40 am

sanderson wrote:Got it downloaded.  This is just my take:  It looks like you choose at least one item from each box.  From Box 1,  I chose vermiculite, Box 2 peat moss, and Box 3 compost with a side dressing of worm castings.  Mix and put in some type of container or raised beds.  All that's needed to make it a SFG is a grid.  Mel got it right, maybe without even knowing what is going on underground.  Yeah Mel!!  drip systems - has55's R & D Journey - Page 2 3170584802

+1
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 9/30/2016, 8:48 am

I read th SFG book in one nights reading. I knew from the get go that was for me. No hesitation, it was the formula I have been dreaming about.
Here's my take on Mel's Mix....learn your composting, go way over the five ingredients. Even if you can't....do it.
Follow Mel's recipe to the T...and you'll have the finest growing medium on the planet.drip systems - has55's R & D Journey - Page 2 Mels_m10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

drip systems - has55's R & D Journey - Page 2 Empty Has55's Research Journey:Connecting the dots with Soil & Diverse Cover Crops

Post  has55 10/2/2016, 6:43 am

I enjoyed these videos. They did a great job of introducing more knowledge about the soil. The first video is fun.
 I'm doing some plant cover crops within my beds, but it limited as I learned how to do it. I'm going to plant daikon , Austrian winter peas and probably rye cereal in my peepers and tomatoes beds. I plan to cut down the daikon plants at the surface and plant tomatoes, etc next to the root in the spring. this root will decompose by fungi activity and should give a great boost to the tomato plant. the peas and rye is for the nitrogen and increasing soil tilth. 
I will be adding the recommendation for soil improvement Dr. Elaine Ingham recommended to increase my fungi and nematodes level for the vegetables. see below. 

Two possible ways to improve life in these beds would be to 1) improve protozoa, which eat bacteria and then release nutrients to feed your plants.  Additionally, actinobacteria often do very well in protozoan infusions, and would increase the actinobacterial biomass at the same time, and 2) add fungal inocula and foods to the soil to increase fungal biomass.  
To improve protozoa, as protozoan infusion can be made.  Apply 1 to 10 gallons of the following per acre (irrigation systems are fine for doing this):
1)    On the bottom of a tank that can hold water and which has a mixing or aeration system (a compost tea brewer works great for this purpose), place a layer (about ¼ to ½ inch thick) of chopped hay, grass clippings, or other plant material, which preferably has not been treated with pesticide.
2)    Add water to the half to ¾ full mark.  Treat the water with humic acid to deal with any chlorine, or chloramine or sulfur or salts BEFORE adding the water to the tank with the plant material.  No contaminants in the water that could kill the protozoa, please.
3)    Let aerate or mix gently for about 48 hours, at which time protozoan numbers should be teeming in the water. 
4)    Strain to remove the plant residue, and apply the water, containing billions of protozoa to the alfalfa.  If the water hits the alfalfa surfaces, that is good, as the alfalfa can probably use the increased nutrient cycling that can happen on the leaf surfaces. 
Beneficial nematode numbers need to be improved as well, to increase nutrient availability for the plants.  Add fungal foods to improve fungal biomass, and this may attract the fungal-feeding nematodes.     

Fungal biomass can be improved by adding some additional fungal foods, which are materials such as humic acids, fish hydrolysate with chitin and chitosan (insect exoskeletons), insect frass (high in chitin), rice hulls, steel ground oats (mostly the seed coat of the oat), or other high-cellulose or lignin containing materials which beneficial fungi enjoy.   

In the first video, They mention a plot with organic matter at 6%.It look great.  My soil tested  at 12.5%. see below. 
drip systems - has55's R & D Journey - Page 2 Soil_t12

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/2/2016, 10:59 am

Interesting. I watched 2 and will probably watch the rest as time allows.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 10/3/2016, 12:11 pm

sanderson wrote:Interesting.  I watched 2 and will probably watch the rest as time allows.
I thought the first one was a lot of fun. I'm still going through the last one. they are outdoor and seeing a lot visually.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 10/3/2016, 12:45 pm

this is were I'm going with this project. Base on what I'm seeing , the seed mixed diversity simply put manual composting to the back burner, I think. It a work in progress, so don't go blow your top. It a project. What I'm seeing they are rebuilding the soil with the soil diversity with seed mixed s a living mulched, then terminated by rolling , not cutting, allowing it to break down by the soil food web. these seed mixes break down fast, thus providing the new active compost material. You decide what you want your seed mix do do, ex. scavenge nitrogen, produce nitrogen, break up the soil, produce long root to mined micro minerals and create deep tunnels for our garden vegetable roots, kill bad nematodes,bring in bees and other pollinators, etc...  We SFG's don't need to break up the soil, prevent weeds, but we could benefit from the other problem solvers.
I'm going to test part of the idea out on 4 of my long beds for the spring crops. they won't be growing anything , but the cover crop of diverse seed mixed. You can cut it, because you will end up pushing the material into the seed hole when planting seeds. this may decrease your seed germination rate according to the videos. You have to push the crop over somehow. haven't figure that one out yet. I'll let some of the mad scientist , I mean engineers on this forum help solve that problems. I hope you have time to view the videos. i'm taking the concept from the farm to small 4 x 4 SFG's beds. . A tall order, but I think it can be done. I'll keep composting the other beds
I know my ideas can get wild, but gardening is always evolving.that's the fun of it. It's still the wild ,wild west, a bucking horse, but has been tame significantly by SFG. Whoa, there boy. I said whoa!! Them darn earthworm, they keep digging under my vegetables.bounce
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/4/2016, 2:07 am

Has, You sure have a lot of fun experimenting. Very Happy I know I am biased towards SFG because it eliminates so many problems, as long as the compost is premium. However, I think the video series you posted is critical viewing for farmers to change commercial agriculture in CA. We are losing our topsoil with all the bare fields.

Regarding pushing seeds into the bed, I though in one of the videos they used a small combo disker/planter to make a small trench down a row and insert the seeds. I did not see any implement that covers the tiny trench??

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down