Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Favorite Bean cultivars? Toplef10Favorite Bean cultivars? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Favorite Bean cultivars? I22gcj10Favorite Bean cultivars? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Favorite Bean cultivars? Toplef10Favorite Bean cultivars? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Favorite Bean cultivars? I22gcj10Favorite Bean cultivars? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Favorite Bean cultivars?

3 posters

Go down

Favorite Bean cultivars? Empty Favorite Bean cultivars?

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/25/2015, 7:10 pm

OK, I have to confess, I am a pole bean aficianado, I grew bush beans once, and they were nice, a yellow filet type, but I just like having beans right in front of my face. I have always grown Kentucky Wonder, but it gets stringy, and bulbous with big seeds if you don't get them early....

I liked the purple pole variety better, I think because, you could see them easier and therefore harvest them more timely.

I have 3 trellises, planted them all with KY Wonder, will diversify next year...experiences?

Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8721

Back to top Go down

Favorite Bean cultivars? Empty Re: Favorite Bean cultivars?

Post  Marc Iverson 8/25/2015, 7:34 pm

I found the same thing with KW beans, scorpio.

I've been a huge fan of royal burgundy beans in the past, but mine this year, after a first flush that was large and tender and juicy, have for the most part stayed small, grown slowly, and had mealy seeds. Unpleasant to eat. They've been beset by bacterial wilt, so I think I will pull them and plant something else. Too bad; normally I would recommend them highly. Just a bad year I guess. So spectacular looking on the plate though!

I've also tried yellow wax beans for the last two years. Last year the sun scorched all the bean plants, killing most of them in a single day, so no success there. However, this year is bad too. Even though they are surrounded by other types of bean plants doing much better(Speedy, Royal Burgundy), they are getting tiny, dry pods. Same thing in full sun and in partial shade. I had literally one or two decent sized pods, and they were very good, but the productivity is so bad I doubt I'll plant any next year. Too bad, because I really like wax beans.

Speedy, a snap bean from Territorial, who does not offer them this year, were fantastic last year. Very productive, nice taste. This year they are doing a bunch of nothing. I didn't save seed, so I guess I won't be planting them next year. I would like at least one snap bean in next year's planting that gives green beans, for color's sake on the plate.

Dragon Tongue beans -- tried them for the first time last year since a number of people on these forums raved about them.Loved them! Love them better still this year, as I've had good productivity and the beans are surprisingly tender even when they're six inches long or longer. If I don't catch them young, they're still great older. And they look amazing on the plate, with those darker or lighter purple stripes on a yellow background. These are too good to cook,I think. They're perfect raw. By far my favorite bean.

Scarlet emperor runner beans -- the flowers are few and far between, but they're okay as far as productivity goes. There would be no point growing them for the flowers, though, as some do. At least in my mind -- all greenery and the occasional fragile flower that only lasts about a day. The cooked beans though, are excellent. I cooked the pods too, with some sausage. Great stuff.

I like how tall they get. You really feel like you're growing something when you've got a vigorous vining bean plant. Unfortunately, they've been the first to get hit hard by bacterial wilt, and they're what I see with cucumber beetles on them the most. I've got quite a lot of beans growing, but the others haven't been hit near as hard. This makes me wonder if I should bother growing them again next year. Or at least, in this particular garden, which is overrun by cucumber beetles.

Cow peas(black-eyed beans) are a nice tasty cooked bean, but not terrifically productive. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I think I'd need to plant a lot of them to get much return. There's a good chance it's just me, though, or that the bacterial wilt is just too much for them.

All the beans but the scarlet runner beans and the cow peas I'm growing are snap beans that I eat raw. They're also bush beans. Considering I'm growing up against a chain link fence now, I want to grow a climbing bean next year, in good quantity. I love my bush beans, but there's only so much you can produce on a bush rather than a nice long vine.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/25/2015, 10:57 pm

I have to say that the ?Japanese beetles were TERRIBLE this year, decimated the beans, hollyhocks and even messed with my perennial geraniums.

I have Got to figure out a strategy for next year!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8721

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/25/2015, 11:58 pm

I enjoyed your journey through yard-long beans, Cappy. Will try them next year, I have put them on my list of maybes.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down