Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga Toplef10brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga I22gcj10brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga Toplef10brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga I22gcj10brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga

+14
TCgardening
BeckieSueDalton
boffer
Marc Iverson
mschaef
quiltbea
CitizenKate
CapeCoddess
Goosegirl
yolos
walshevak
AtlantaMarie
Windmere
sanderson
18 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga Empty 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga

Post  yolos 1/3/2015, 8:25 pm

Garden update 01/03/15

I finally finished renovating my first bed.  It is 3' x 8'.  I dug out all the MM, put a thick layer of cardboard in the bottom, sifted the MM to remove the roots, replaced the MM, added compost and some MM from another bed, put straw mulch on top, and covered with plastic to keep from washing out any nutrients.  It is ready for spring planting.
brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga Tomato10

Latest picture of my cover crops planted at the end of Oct.  They are growing slowly, Annual rye in the background and winter peas in the front.  I love looking at these two beds (both are 4' x 12') because they are so green and pretty against the dreary winter landscape.
brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga Cover_10

And a picture of one of my Broccoli.  I have 15 still growing.  This head is bigger than a golf ball but smaller than a hardball.  Slowly growing.
brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga Brocco10
Some other things still growing - winterbor kale, brussel sprouts, leeks, peas, carrots, garlic, and shallots.  It has been raining and cloudy for weeks.  Not much actual growth on anything, but at least very few freezing nights so I am not having to cover and uncover very often.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga Empty Re: 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga

Post  sanderson 1/4/2015, 3:31 am

Your covered wagon looks so cozy.  Throw down a sleeping bag and pillow and read a book / take a nap.  As usual, neat and tidy looking.

Last edited by sanderson on 1/6/2015, 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga Empty Beautiful as usual

Post  Windmere 1/6/2015, 1:50 pm

Really nice yolos.  I always like to see your handiwork.  I have some rye grass growing around my front yard planter to protect against erosion.  It looks rather silly with lush green growth surrounded by yellow dormant summer grass.  It's doing the job well though and heavy rains have had no effect on my planter's slopes. 

All of my other boxes are occupied.  Lots of kale growing beautifully and we can't wait for plants to become big enough to harvest.  As you say though, slow growth with our recent weather.

I've begun ordering some of my spring seeds.  Burpee had some interesting exclusives and shipping was free the other day (I HATE paying those exorbitant shipping prices).

Hope you are well down there in Brooks.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/6/2015, 2:01 pm

I THOUGHT I had added my two cents worth, but not seeing it...

It looks really nice & neat, Yolos!  You're so organized...!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/7/2015, 6:18 pm

Looking good. Yolos

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 2/8/2015, 7:30 pm

Garden update 02/08/15

I finally finished this winters bed rejuvenation.  This winter I was working on my three 3' x 8' beds.  Emptied all the soil, dug out the roots, put thick cardboard on the bottom of the bed, sifted the soil and refilled the bed.  Those beds should be good to go until I retire this August and have a chance to raise them off the ground.
brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga Empty_10

My cover crop trial beds are coming along slowly.  I will have to hoe over one bed shortly to get ready for the potatoes.  The other bed will eventually be corn so I can let it grow awhile.
brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga Cover_12

I planted my tomato seeds today in soil blocks.  I planted 5 varieties.  Brandywine, Juliet, Goliath, Mountain Merit, Gilbertie.  I have to order my Brandy Boy seeds.  I am going to read up on starting lettuce so maybe this year I will get some. 

I still have Brussel Sprouts, kale, leeks, Carrots, garlic and shallots growing.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 2/8/2015, 8:22 pm

Nice!  Textbook as always.  Our family ended up on a day trip... so hopefully I will focus on gardening later this week....
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 2/8/2015, 8:27 pm

Windmere - I just finished planting your lettuce seeds in mini soil blocks.  Hope it works.  If it does, I may take a trip to Pike's to get different varieties.  I plan on planting the lettuce behind the tomatoes so maybe they won't bolt so fast,

I may take all my old lettuce seeds and just sprinkle them around my beds to see if any sprout.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/8/2015, 11:14 pm

Yolos,

That's almost what I did with my 2011 lettuce seed last year.  EXCEPT, I used my cement mixing tubs.  I added the fresh compost and stirred it up, then sprinkled a lettuce mix lightly over the top and watered lightly every day until I got sprouts.  In the early spring I had one in the sun and got some really good lettuce.  Later, after harvesting the garlic, I moved the tubs under a river birch tree and did the same. The tree gives a filtered shade not a deep shade.   I planted one tub and then 4 weeks later I planted the other.  By the time the first tub was going bitter, the second was coming in.  I then ripped up the first and replanted.  I managed lettuce for most of the hot summer by keeping them well watered.  I kept them picked small and frequently.  Being a fan of mustard and turnip greens, I can accept a small amount of bitterness to my lettuce but others can't.

Kat

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 2/10/2015, 9:22 pm

yolos wrote:Windmere - I just finished planting your lettuce seeds in mini soil blocks.  Hope it works.  If it does, I may take a trip to Pike's to get different varieties.  I plan on planting the lettuce behind the tomatoes so maybe they won't bolt so fast,

I may take all my old lettuce seeds and just sprinkle them around my beds to see if any sprout.

Well I am excited.  I finally figured out how to get lettuce seeds to germinate.  I put two seeds on the top of the mini soil blocks, lightly pressed them into the soil on top of the block, kept them moist and they sprouted in 2 days.  Thanks for the seeds Windmere. 

Now I will have to rush home from work tomorrow and make the large soil blocks so I can insert the smaller soil blocks into the larger ones.  I intended to plant the mini soil blocks directly in my beds but we will be having an unusually hard freeze later this week so I have to wait on planting them outside.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 2/10/2015, 10:20 pm

yolos wrote:
yolos wrote:Windmere - I just finished planting your lettuce seeds in mini soil blocks.  Hope it works.  If it does, I may take a trip to Pike's to get different varieties.  I plan on planting the lettuce behind the tomatoes so maybe they won't bolt so fast,

Well I am excited.  I finally figured out how to get lettuce seeds to germinate.  I put two seeds on the top of the mini soil blocks, lightly pressed them into the soil on top of the block, kept them moist and they sprouted in 2 days.  Thanks for the seeds Windmere. 

Now I will have to rush home from work tomorrow and make the large soil blocks so I can insert the smaller soil blocks into the larger ones.  I intended to plant the mini soil blocks directly in my beds but we will be having an unusually hard freeze later this week so I have to wait on planting them outside.
Awesome yolos!
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 2/27/2015, 9:23 am

Finally the sun is shining, the sun is shining.  Yippeee.  sunny sunny And I am off work today.  I am on my way out to the garden to remove the straw from around my garlic.  I intend to lay it out in the sun on a tarp to dry it out.  It is a soggy mess in the bed because of all the rain we have had.  Then when it is dried out I will replace it around the garlic and then cover the top of the bed with plastic over my hoops.  Looks like today will be sunny and tomorrow partial sun and then rain for the next 5 days.  No more sun forecast until next Friday.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/1/2015, 10:13 am

Crud - I just looked at the forecast and the next day of sunshine will not be until a week from this Monday.  Bummer.

I finally removed the 4+ inches of very soggy wheat straw from around my garlic.  Then put it out in the sun to dry for a few hours and then replaced it around the garlic.  Here is my super mechanized wheat straw drying operation.
brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga Wheat_10

And a look at my garlic I have been babying since last October (10/31/14).  The garlic is about 12 inches tall with 5 to 6 leaves per plant.  It looks real healthy.  This will be my third year of trying to grow garlic and the first year I planted in the fall.  I think this year I will actually get some edible garlic.  I planted Chets Italian, Inchelium Red, Red Toch, and shallots.
brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga Garlic10

I haven't been growing potatoes the last couple of years because it always gets hit with early blight (or something) and we do not have a long spring here it Georgia.  So I wanted to plant it in the middle of Feb but it has been too rainy and cold.  So I will try next weekend.  I also, for the first time, decided to let it presprout.  Four varieties - Red Pontiac, Kennebec, Yukon Gold, and Russet Norkotah.
brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga Potato10

Last edited by yolos on 3/1/2015, 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/1/2015, 10:23 am

The garlic looks awesome, Yolos!

Let me know how you like the Inchelium Red...  That's the one I've been thinking about.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/2/2015, 1:37 pm

yolos wrote:Here is my super mechanized wheat straw drying operation.
brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga Wheat_10
Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/8/2015, 7:53 pm

Finally had three days of sun and projected temps for the next 10 days will be higher than 32 degrees and rain for about 6 days in a row.  So I tried to plant as much as possible today.  I didn't get my lettuce or onions planted but did plant the peas and potatoes.

Here is a picture of my pea bed.  That is my daughter showing my 5 year old grandson how to plant peas.  Of course, I had just shown her how to plant them.
brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga Pea_be10

Here is a picture of my newly planted potato bed.
brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga Potato11

I am getting tired of posting pictures of empty looking beds.  I can't wait until something actually starts to grow.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/9/2015, 2:45 am

And I enjoy looking at your "empty" beds, freshly sown. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/9/2015, 9:37 am

That REALLY looks great, Yolos...!  You've got so much space and it's so nice. 

Do you have any problems with grass/weeds trying to come thru your mulch on the ground?  Do you have anything under the mulch?

Can't wait to see how your garden grows this year!!!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/9/2015, 10:17 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:That REALLY looks great, Yolos...!  You've got so much space and it's so nice. 

Do you have any problems with grass/weeds trying to come thru your mulch on the ground?  Do you have anything under the mulch?

Can't wait to see how your garden grows this year!!!

Yes, I get a few weeds here and there.  They are not really coming up from under the mulch though.  I assume they are from seeds that have flown in or gotten in some other way.  When I first laid the mulch, I put about 5 layers of newspaper and then wheat straw over that.  Wheat germinated in the isles.  The next year, I laid more newspaper and then a thick layer of mini pine bark nuggets.  I still get a few weeds but they are easy to pull out.  The pine bark nuggets have held up for two years.  They are composting a little and it is easy for seeds to germinate in the pathways. 

When I expand my garden, it will be in an area where there is sparse Bermuda growing now.  That will be a challenge.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 3/10/2015, 7:29 am

sanderson wrote:Your covered wagon looks so cozy.  Throw down a sleeping bag and pillow and read a book / take a nap.  As usual, neat and tidy looking.

lol! My thoughts exactly when I saw it!

Yolos - Looks GREAT! Can't wait to get out in my boxes when the ground thaws!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/10/2015, 4:03 pm

Yolos, I'm gardening vicariously thru you. Laughing   Your photos are great, your garden is so beautiful!  My boxes are finally peaking up out of the snow today!  Exciting times ahead, even though I'll just be starting with the soggy wet part.

Keep those photos coming and I'll keep following along one step behind ya.
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/11/2015, 12:41 am

yolos wrote:When I expand my garden, it will be in an area where there is sparse Bermuda growing now.  That will be a challenge.

Raised beds?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/11/2015, 12:56 am

sanderson wrote:
yolos wrote:When I expand my garden, it will be in an area where there is sparse Bermuda growing now.  That will be a challenge.

Raised beds?  

I haven't decided whether to use raised beds or improve the soil with wood chips, compost, whatever.  It is hard red Ga clay with some Bermuda grass and other grasses mixed in.  So it will need a lot of work.  But I am retiring in August and I will have lots of time to start this project this fall.  I think I will be planting fruit - blackberries, blue berries, raspberries, maybe some grapes, maybe some asparagus, etc.  They will take up a lot of room and not sure I want to go to the expense of making raised beds and filling them with MM.  My garden now is all boxes/beds lined up evenly.  So maybe I want to go a little free flowing for this part of the garden.  Throw in some perennial flowers maybe.  I am getting kind of tired seeding in little pots/cell trays all my flowers - marigolds, cosmos, borage, nasturtiums, four oclock's.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/13/2015, 11:54 pm

LIGHT STAND

Following Slimbolen99's very specific directions about what type and model of shop lights and bulbs to use, I rigged up a second light stand to take care of the overflow of seedlings I have growing.  It is only temporary until I can get my lettuce and other cold crops transplanted outside (if it ever stops raining and the sun comes out). 

Here is a rolling stand I usually use at this time of year to roll my seedlings outside during the day and then inside at night.
brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga Light_10
A couple more pictures an hour later.  I still have a lot of seedlings downstairs that I will bring up and put under the light tomorrow.  I have been running two shifts down stairs.  Some plants on the stand during the day and a second shift at night.  Now they can all be under the lights for the 16 hours I usually run them.
brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga Light_11
It looks real fancy in front of my fireplace and mantle (red neck).
brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga Light_12
brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga Light_13
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/14/2015, 3:12 am

yolos wrote:LIGHT STAND brooks, GA - 2015 SFG in Brooks, Ga Light_11
It looks real fancy in front of my fireplace and mantle (red neck).
rofl   Also, Red neck mood lighting.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content