Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Fennel Recipe:  Pan-Seared Snapper with Fennel-Olive Topping Toplef10Fennel Recipe:  Pan-Seared Snapper with Fennel-Olive Topping 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Fennel Recipe:  Pan-Seared Snapper with Fennel-Olive Topping I22gcj10Fennel Recipe:  Pan-Seared Snapper with Fennel-Olive Topping 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Fennel Recipe:  Pan-Seared Snapper with Fennel-Olive Topping Toplef10Fennel Recipe:  Pan-Seared Snapper with Fennel-Olive Topping 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Fennel Recipe:  Pan-Seared Snapper with Fennel-Olive Topping I22gcj10Fennel Recipe:  Pan-Seared Snapper with Fennel-Olive Topping 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising 9/4/2024, 9:30 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma 8/30/2024, 2:04 am

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Fennel Recipe: Pan-Seared Snapper with Fennel-Olive Topping

3 posters

Go down

Fennel Recipe:  Pan-Seared Snapper with Fennel-Olive Topping Empty Fennel Recipe: Pan-Seared Snapper with Fennel-Olive Topping

Post  Windmere 8/8/2014, 10:53 am

Per Sanderson's request, here is a very nice fennel recipe (quoted from my original post regarding hybrid Orion FennelFennel Recipe:  Pan-Seared Snapper with Fennel-Olive Topping Empty):

My daughter bought the book from which this recipe came as an anniversary gift (for mommy) several years ago.  It was an offering at her school book fair.

The name of the book is, Cooking Light - Fresh Food Fast - 5 Ingredient 15 minute recipes.

PAN-SEARED SNAPPER WITH FENNEL-OLIVE TOPPING

I'll begin by saying that this recipe works well with any firm white fish.  We have used cod and swai and tilapia.  Tilapia breaks easily though and I personally do not like the flavor of tilapia.

INGREDIENTS:

4 (6 oz) red snapper or other firm white fish fillets
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cooking spray (or olive oil)
1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced (about 3 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
1 large tomato
3 tablespoons refrigerated olive tapenade (I recommend a green olive based tapanade, but any you can find will work).  In some stores it is simply called "olive paste."
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1.  Sprinkle fillets evenly with salt and pepper (to taste, we often use less salt than is called for).  Heat a large non-stick (super important about non-stick) skillet over medium-high heat; coat pan and fillets with cooking spray (note: my wife uses olive oil).  Add fish to pan, skin sides up.  Cook 3 minutes or until lightly browned.  Remove from pan.

2.  Coat pan with cooking spray (olive oil if you choose).  Add fennel and onion; saute 3 minutes.  Add tomato, tapenade and lemon juice; stir well.  Return fillets to pan, nestling them into fennel mixture.  Cook and cover 7 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness.  Spoon fennel mixture over fillets to serve.  Yield:  4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet and 3/4 cup fennel topping).

Both my wife and I have prepared this dish, but hers comes out better.  We often make enough for two fillets per person.  If a fennel bulb is a bit large, we just use the whole thing because we love fennel (that is, after my family has eaten their fill of yummy licorice flavored raw pieces).  We adjust the amount of tapenade depending on how much we have to cook.   With these slight variations, the dish can come out differently... but it makes no difference... we always find it to be delicious.  The fennel and onions come out firm in texture, which makes the dish very refreshing

Last edited by Windmere on 8/8/2014, 10:56 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Formatting)
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1422

Back to top Go down

Fennel Recipe:  Pan-Seared Snapper with Fennel-Olive Topping Empty Re: Fennel Recipe: Pan-Seared Snapper with Fennel-Olive Topping

Post  Elizabeth 4/4/2015, 3:53 pm

Windmere - I came across this wonderful recipe while scrolling through old post. 

Red Fish is expensive and as you said Tilapia does not hold up well.  My DH fishes so we always have Red Fish (Red Drum) available.  A fish with perfect texture and flavor for your recipe. 

On my "Must Try" list.

I saved this to my favorites under recipes.

Thank you
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Female Posts : 91

Back to top Go down

Fennel Recipe:  Pan-Seared Snapper with Fennel-Olive Topping Empty Re: Fennel Recipe: Pan-Seared Snapper with Fennel-Olive Topping

Post  Windmere 4/5/2015, 11:45 pm

Elizabeth, you are welcome and I am so glad you found this recipe appealing.  A little over a week ago, my wife made this dish using grouper (it was on sale).  With such a meaty white fish, it was outstanding.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1422

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth 4/6/2015, 3:06 pm

THANK YOU for your wonderful recipe. 

Gardening has become my second favorite thing to do mainly because it provides me with wonderful vegetables and herbs to use in my cooking.

Fennel Recipe:  Pan-Seared Snapper with Fennel-Olive Topping 3170584802
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Female Posts : 91

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 4/6/2015, 3:49 pm

I'm allergic to seafood, but I make a fennel pesto dish that's a favorite at my house.  I serve it with chicken and brown rice.

This has been my best fennel season ever with Johnny Seeds' Zefa Fino Fennel. Knock on wood, I've not had any problems yet with aphids or nematodes as I have in the past with some random seed package from Ace Hardware.  The bulb size is much bigger too.
dstack
dstack

Male Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down