Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 Toplef10thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 I22gcj10thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 Toplef10thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 I22gcj10thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

May 2013 New England

+14
Lavender Debs
mollyhespra
hruten
Nicola
dvelten
edfhinton
sdugas164
camprn
judyj
DeborahC
NHGardener
philct
CapeCoddess
quiltbea
18 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 Empty Re: May 2013 New England

Post  camprn 5/25/2013, 10:30 pm

40*F and falling, I just moved my tomato plants onto the 3 season porch for the night. Rolling Eyes hiding

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 5/25/2013, 10:48 pm

Good move
I had to move my seedlings back into the house last night.
Went down to 30, and it was a cold 30..
Covered tomatos and cukes, all the rest were ok
Good luck tonight Camprn
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 5/25/2013, 10:52 pm

Ugh...

S N O W ! ! !

Wet, Heavy and Plentiful:

thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 Img_1410

DH helping with the last minute rush to cover the beds. Under the plastic are some peas, broc, bs, and garlic.

After that pic was taken we had a second mad rush when we realized the weight of the snow was collapsing the plastic between the hoops. SO...it was out in the dark to take the plastic off & place boxes over the squares & re-tarp the bed so that even if the snow collapses the plastic, the boxes should take the weight of the snow.

Ugh. My seedlings were just starting to recover from the frost we had a couple of weeks back and now this. thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 671790
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/26/2013, 2:19 am

Molly, I can't believe it's snowing. What a great photo. Here in middle California, we have it so easy weather-wise. Okay, maybe 3 weeks of triple digits in the summer. And a handful or two of below freezing. A snowy morning every decade or so. Opps, that reminds me that we do have some nasty hail now and then. Otherwise, good weather. No floods, tornadoes, earthquakes (those are basically along the coast line), or the 7 plagues. I have great respect for those of you who persist in gardening under confounding weather conditions.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/26/2013, 7:55 am

We got some snow too.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 5/26/2013, 8:52 am

How did you protect your plants, Camp? Did they make it thru the white stuff ok?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/26/2013, 9:49 am

mollyhespra wrote:How did you protect your plants, Camp? Did they make it thru the white stuff ok?
The snow didn't stick here and I didn't worry about the garlic, peas, spinach, bok choy, broccoli rab or the radishes, which is all that there is planted out. They are quite cold tolerant. The eggplants, leeks, basil and flowers are still under the lights in the house. The tomatoes are still in flats and have been living outside but have yet to be planted in the garden, because the soil temp is not up to where it needs to be for these plants... So I brought them into the porch. All plants are fine this morning.

I just checked the weather forecast which is calling for high temp around 50F with real feel of 33F. I relit the woodstove. I am starting to get a wee bit irritated as I am tired of doing things in the house.......... 7 months of that is enough.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 5/26/2013, 12:23 pm

camprn wrote:
{snip}
I just checked the weather forecast which is calling for high temp around 50F with real feel of 33F. I relit the woodstove. I am starting to get a wee bit irritated as I am tired of doing things in the house.......... 7 months of that is enough.

LOL! I hear you!

I just went out to survey the damage & two of my garlics that were on the side of the hoops have snapped at about 3" off the ground. They must have gotten buried by the snow when the hoops started collapsing.

The weather is still iffy, so I might just leave the covers in place in case we get more snow.

And guess what else? Forecast is for 80-90 degrees on Thursday. I think Mother Nature needs some bipolar meds.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/26/2013, 12:41 pm

[quote="mollyhespra"]
camprn wrote:
I think Mother Nature needs some bipolar meds.

rofl
Good one!

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 5/26/2013, 12:45 pm

funny post

But I'm not surprised.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/26/2013, 1:14 pm

Sun's comin out...FINALLY! I gotta get outta this chair! There's lettuce to transplant, carrot seeds to sow, and a new experiment to set up - I'm putting an unused window box behind one of the trellis', filling it with MM and starting some melon or squash and cucs in it.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/28/2013, 7:12 am

CC, your garden is beautiful. It surprises me you're so far along because a lot of times it seems your temps are even cooler than ours.....

This weekend I used the agribon over most of my transplants, and over the squash I had milk jugs. I kept them covered last night also, but today all covers are coming off for expected heat! At least we had no snow here - sorry about those who got hit.

I was given some walking/jumping/Egyptian onion plants this weekend. Can they live in a box, or do they need room to roam and multiply?
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 Empty I harvested my first thing

Post  DeborahC 5/30/2013, 8:17 am

The Square Foot Gardening thing really works! For the first time we've harvested radishes and ate them. I've gotten 2 radishes before but they were really fibrous and not appealing. No one wanted to eat them. Tomatoes and basil are the only things I've ever been successful with but things are looking a lot different now.

I did have to buy tomatoes, peppers, and curly parsley. I started my seeds way too late.

So the garden is all planted.
thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 May_ga10
thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 May_ga11

And the radishes are harvested. There are a bunch of immature volunteers that I'm hoping will end up growing to maturity. Meanwhile, I added a little compost and more radish seeds.
thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 May_ga12

I've also been picking the flowers off the tomatoes. My father and grandfather used to do that when they flowered too early. They said it made for stronger plants and bigger tomatoes later in the season.
DeborahC
DeborahC

Back to top Go down

thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 Empty CapeCoddess

Post  DeborahC 5/30/2013, 8:21 am

CC does have a beautiful garden. All of you have beautiful gardens already. Watching you here on the forum is giving me hope and I'm already making lots of plans for next year.
DeborahC
DeborahC

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/31/2013, 12:13 pm

Nice radishes, Deborah! I did great with radishes last year but this year my newest & lowest box (8") doesn't seem to be doing as well as the more established boxes, so my radishes are small as well as getting lacy leaves. I guess I need to pull them now before they get woody. I'll leave a few to get the seed pods as I hear they make real good eatin'.

Got some cuc seedlings transplanted into a 5 gal bucket the other day to take up some unused space on the pea trellis. The bottom of the bucket is unfinished compost and the top 6" is MM. I haven't been able to grow cucs well yet so we'll see what happens:
thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 100_6911

I also started some seeds for the mother for when her Earth boxes are ready - lots of different annual flowers, cucs, toms, lettuces and pak choi, the latter 2 will be grown in heavy shade as an experiment: thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 100_6829

AND, tadaaaa...I have pea flowers! Not many yet, just a few here and there, but it's good to see them: thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 100_6912

Today I'm in the process of building a new box, approximately 6'x 3'x 10". The boards are cut, I have a pocket full of screws, the pre holes are drilled and the cardboard is down. But then sun came into my shady work space and I thought I would die of heat stroke :drunken: , so I may have to call it quits til tonight or tomorrow morning and head for the MM fixin's in the cool underground garage instead. So hot out...but nothing like what off Cape is experiencing. At least I don't need the a/c yet.

OH, and my second (or maybe it's third) attempt at carrots, this time covered, was futile. It can't be a rabbit, but what then???: thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 100_6913

What are ya'll up to this weekend?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/31/2013, 12:34 pm

CC, why are those carrots futile? They look okay to me.

My carrots didn't come up either. I saw some birds near my trellises, and I'm thinking they may be snatching my carrot seeds, but I don't know because I sprinkled some peat/vermiculite over the bed after I planted them. I was thinking of re-planting and covering this time with agrabon. It's annoying because we can never have too many carrots....

My strawberry beds are like a forest right now, and tons of blossoms. The garlic is large, the onions are taking root (slowly), some potatoes are coming up, the tomato plants are still alive and the peppers, tho they have to get bigger. Actually I saw a cherry tomato blossom yesterday. Lettuce and spinach are small but they're there for the most part. Peas are looking healthy. My beans didn't come up, and now I can't find my packet(s) of fortex beans! Grr. I'm pretty sure I ended up with a couple of those packets but my memory is unreliable. There's a supplier of Johnny's seeds about half an hour away (everything is about half an hour away here) just have to make the trek over there to get more. I would have liked to have them in the heat, but at least the soil is warming up.

Squashes and squash family are in the field, I took the milk jugs off so they don't overheat. They're a little yellowed, but I'm hoping they get more robust in the next few days.

I'll have to take photos.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/31/2013, 12:37 pm

Deborah.....Lovely harvest of rads. Have you tried the French Breakfast variety? I harvested some last week and they are divine. Milder than the Cherry Belles and Cherriette which I also grew and I love the look of them, elongated with white points and red base.

I learned a trick from an organic farmer nearby. Plant some radishes around your squashes and melons to keep damaging pests away from the good crops. They'll head for the rads instead. By fall those rads will be monstrous and ugly, but they seem to work their magic.

Cape.....I hope your cukes do better for you this year. I had to re-sow my cuke beds yesterday. Nothing was coming up. I hope with warmer weather they'll germinate.

Everything was looking good yesterday even with temps hitting 84. Today it was 84 already in the morning. I'll transplant more peppers after four when the sun isn't as bright. I am going to put straw mulch around the tomatoes and dig out my cheesecloth to cover the tomatoes against the heat of 90 or more expected for Sat and Sun. I'd hate to lose those pretty blossoms to intense sun.

I hope everyone on the east coast manages to get thru the heat of the weekend without much damage. Get those plants watered.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/31/2013, 1:46 pm

NHGardener wrote:CC, why are those carrots futile? They look okay to me.

Those aren't leaves, NHG, they are nubbin's. The leaves have been eaten off down to the stems. I'm giving up on carrots til fall.

Speaking of roots, my daikon bolted today and is blooming purple flowers. I almost pulled them out as another failure but I think I'll let them flower for the bees since they are right in front of the pea/bean trellis.

OH, hey, I DID it! The latest addition to me SFG family: thinning - May 2013 New England - Page 7 100_6914

I'll fill the bottom with leaves, then unfinished compost, then MM. But I'm melting now and eyeballing the a/c on the floor over in the corner. 'Cept I'm too sweaty to put it in the window at the moment.
Heading down to the basement to get a fan...

NHG, please please please post pics? You too, Camp? You ladies have been waiting so long to get the gardens up and running I can't wait to see what's happening. bounce

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/31/2013, 8:44 pm

Okay CC, tomorrow I'll take photos. I know I love to see everyone's gardens, and I'm appreciative of those who post photos!

Yup, broke down and stuck the a/c in the window today! Even tho 3 days ago I had the heat on...

The new box looks beautiful! So do the hoops and cover.

Watered today.

I'm noticing several volunteers. When things bolt, you might just want to leave them as is, they'll probably end up sprouting next spring.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7