Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
critter - Newbie questions on Critter Control & Hot Location Toplef10critter - Newbie questions on Critter Control & Hot Location 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

critter - Newbie questions on Critter Control & Hot Location I22gcj10critter - Newbie questions on Critter Control & Hot Location 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
critter - Newbie questions on Critter Control & Hot Location Toplef10critter - Newbie questions on Critter Control & Hot Location 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

critter - Newbie questions on Critter Control & Hot Location I22gcj10critter - Newbie questions on Critter Control & Hot Location 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Newbie questions on Critter Control & Hot Location

3 posters

Go down

critter - Newbie questions on Critter Control & Hot Location Empty Newbie questions on Critter Control & Hot Location

Post  dsmdeb 4/26/2012, 7:06 am

Hi there, I’m new here and about to try SFG for the first time. I have the original SFG book, but am more inspired with the new book – maybe I just needed color pictures. Smile

Critters:
I just built two boxes – 2’ x 4’, but want to be sure I’m well protected from the start. For chipmunk prevention, I saw a video where someone tacked landscape fabric and then hardware cloth to the bottoms. Is there an advantage of doing that over just attaching the hardware cloth, and then setting the boxes on a length of landscape fabric? I wanted to do that to block weeds between boxes and thought it might allow better drainage if the fabric isn’t directly attached.

Cages are a must for the deer & raccoons we have around here. I was planning to do chicken wire with bottom frames as shown in ANSFG. Would that be strong enough to keep out raccoons? I’ve seen a persistent little guy trying to open my neighbor’s tethered down garbage can lid.

I am also planning to do a grow bag on the ground with strawberries. This was before I decided to do SFG. I made a bag out of landscape fabric. It wouldn’t have any bottom protection from chipmunks, but I planned to make an 18” x 18” x 21”H cage out of hardware cloth, because it’s heavier. If I put a brick or some other weight on top, would that block too much sun? Is the grow bag idea a disaster waiting to happen?

Hot location:
My sunny space is limited, so I planned to put the boxes between the concrete driveway and the south side of the house. Do you think it will get too hot there, or will the fact that it’s raised help? I’ve grown hardy perennials there for a long time with no problems.

Thanks all! This forum is great! Love the pictures you guys post.

Deb
dsmdeb
dsmdeb

Female Posts : 26

Back to top Go down

critter - Newbie questions on Critter Control & Hot Location Empty Re: Newbie questions on Critter Control & Hot Location

Post  llama momma 4/26/2012, 11:06 am

I'll take your critter cage question--
I have raccoons, deer, fox, bunnies, cats, etc., and yes the critter cages have worked 100% since autumn, 2010. Haven't lost anything to wildlife so far. Your question was coons and I guess the coons see the cage and give up. They don't realize it can be lifted. The first year I hooked little bungee cords from the cage to the bottom of the box for extra protection. Once I found fur around the snapped off bungee, but I think it was from one of my cats. I stopped using the bungees and still haven't had a problem unless the wind goes over 35mph then the cages tend to slide some. Overall I give critter cages an A+ if you are completely serious about protecting your veggies. The idea of lifting them off to tend to the garden turns off some people. To me it's a very small price to pay for guranteed undamaged goods.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

critter - Newbie questions on Critter Control & Hot Location Empty Re: Newbie questions on Critter Control & Hot Location

Post  H_TX_2 4/26/2012, 11:13 am

I have a strip of ground on the south side of my house. This strip runs east to west and its about 5.5 feet wide and about 22 feet long. My house is on the north side and my driveway is on the south side. This is where I placed my beds and they have done great and it doesn't get too hot.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum