Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from Oregon! Toplef10Hi from Oregon! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from Oregon! I22gcj10Hi from Oregon! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from Oregon! Toplef10Hi from Oregon! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from Oregon! I22gcj10Hi from Oregon! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hi from Oregon!

4 posters

Go down

Hi from Oregon! Empty Hi from Oregon!

Post  Noie 1/22/2012, 5:41 pm

Well, I've been wanting to start a garden for a few years, but I've just been too lazy. Laughing I finally got around to growing some things in containers last year - just a few peppers and tomatoes. And now I want more! Much, much more!

I've put in boxes - 8 4'x4' and 3 2'x2'. They're filled up with MM and each has it's own little drip system. (Which seems silly, I know, but I am really horrible about remembering to water regularly. Even my little herb box that sits right above the kitchen sink. I remember to eat them, just not water them. Poor little herbs.) I spent the morning out in the rain putting up the trellising. I really want it to be time to plant already!

I'm wondering if I went a bit overboard with the boxes. That's 140 little squares. I guess I could just not plant in all of them. I could just not order extra types of seeds that look really cool to fill the space. Just leave them be...all year long. All lonely and bare. Mmhmm. That'll happen. Rolling Eyes
Noie
Noie

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Hi from Oregon! Empty Re: Hi from Oregon!

Post  Chopper 1/22/2012, 5:46 pm

Noie wrote:Well, I've been wanting to start a garden for a few years, but I've just been too lazy. Laughing...

I'm wondering if I went a bit overboard with the boxes. That's 140 little squares. I guess I could just not plant in all of them. I could just not order extra types of seeds that look really cool to fill the space. Just leave them be...all year long. All lonely and bare. Mmhmm. That'll happen. Rolling Eyes

Lazy! You have come to the right place. It should be called the Lazy Gardener's Way to A Great Harvest. LOL.

Do not forget that you can plant flowers too. And I think 140 squares is a good start. Very Happy
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/22/2012, 6:26 pm

Noie wrote:Well, I've been wanting to start a garden for a few years, but I've just been too lazy. Laughing I finally got around to growing some things in containers last year - just a few peppers and tomatoes. And now I want more! Much, much more!

I've put in boxes - 8 4'x4' and 3 2'x2'. They're filled up with MM and each has it's own little drip system. (Which seems silly, I know, but I am really horrible about remembering to water regularly. Even my little herb box that sits right above the kitchen sink. I remember to eat them, just not water them. Poor little herbs.) I spent the morning out in the rain putting up the trellising. I really want it to be time to plant already!

Noie, Welcome to the forum. How exciting to have those SFG boxes and lovely MM ready to go. cheers I have drip systems too and find them easy to use and efficient. Did you find the ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING book to be easy to read? I thought the instructions were clear and simple to follow.

How many people do you plan to feed from your 11 boxes? Do you preserve some of your harvest by canning, freezing or dehydrating? You have so many options if you feel you will not use all of the boxes for fresh harvests. You might grow some flowers or try a few of several varieties of those specialty veggies or preserve those crops that do especially well in your area.

Last year I had 3 - 4X4's as well as 18 - 5 gallon buckets for tomatoes, all filled with MM. I did some canning and some freezing, but not as much as I anticipated as I had to abandon my SFG for a couple of months due to health issues.

Were you able to determine your average last frost date? CLICK HERE >>> FROST AND SEED STARTING DATES

Again, very glad to have you join us. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  EatYourVeggies 1/22/2012, 6:28 pm

Hi Noie and Welcome to the forum from another Pacific Northwest gardener. I've lived in Salem, Keizer and Jefferson Oregon previously, but now I'm back up in Vancouver Washington. Really, it doesn't matter where you are in the PNW, its just varying amounts of rain, rain and more rain. Sounds like you're off to a great start and there's no such thing as too many squares. Very Happy
EatYourVeggies
EatYourVeggies

Male Posts : 155

Back to top Go down

Post  Noie 1/22/2012, 7:38 pm

That 140 squares has to feed a whopping....2 people. One of whom is not so super thrilled with the idea of eating a bunch of veggies. Oh well, he'll live. And if he doesn't, more for me! Laughing Theoretically, I can dry, freeze, and can. It's been awhile, but I'm sure that knowledge is up there somewhere.

According to the all-knowing interwebs, my 50% last frost date is around 4/28. Which means I get to start growing the little guys in two weeks! OMG! I need seeds! (I've been checking the mailbox every day as soon as I get off work waiting for the catalogs. I may have to break down and read it all online - just not the same as kicking back in front of the fire with a drink, some chocolates, and a seed catalog. I have an illness...I know.)
Noie
Noie

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/22/2012, 8:01 pm

You are in good company Noie, many of us have caught the same illness.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/22/2012, 8:03 pm

You might even consider a perennial bed for Strawberries or Asparagus. Yumm!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Noie 1/22/2012, 8:27 pm

There's a whole other plan for the rest of the yard involving lots of those things that take up space. Like the 75 strawberry plants that are on their way. It didn't start off that way, promise! But...they come in bundles of 25, and all sounded so tasty, that I just couldn't help but pick a few varieties. How else will I know which is the best?
Noie
Noie

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/22/2012, 8:35 pm

Hi from Oregon! 641297 lol!

How else will I know which is the best?

Absolutely!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  EatYourVeggies 1/22/2012, 8:42 pm

Noie wrote: I just couldn't help but pick a few varieties. How else will I know which is the best?

Hi from Oregon! 641297 I'm laughing with you, not at you!
EatYourVeggies
EatYourVeggies

Male Posts : 155

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down