Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from South Carolina! Toplef10Hello from South Carolina! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from South Carolina! I22gcj10Hello from South Carolina! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from South Carolina! Toplef10Hello from South Carolina! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from South Carolina! I22gcj10Hello from South Carolina! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 1:15 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from South Carolina!

+2
Furbalsmom
miscellaneous
6 posters

Go down

Hello from South Carolina! Empty Hello from South Carolina!

Post  miscellaneous 1/11/2012, 5:08 pm

Hi everyone, I have been lurking in the forums the past few days, so figured I should introduce myself. I live in Columbia, SC and I think I'm on the verge of zones 7b and 8a, lower and middle south. I'm going to look in both regional groups for advice.

My boyfriend and I picked up ANSFG last year at a Big Lots (discount store) for maybe $4.00, just as something to learn about. Well, we got a pretty late start b/c we thought we were going to move and then didn't. Last year I had 4 4x4s and 2 containers I planted sweet potatoes in. I just did not know enough about each particular plant and combine that w/ my late start, my garden was essentially a bust except for my cucumbers. But that's ok, because I learned a lot! I'm pretty sure I need to adjust my MM b/c one bed is off, so I'm going to build a couple more beds, unsure of the size, redo my MM and shift my garden so it gets more sun.

I'm hoping to get my plan layed out so I can post it in the forums and get suggestions soon.

Looking forward to hearing about everyone's spring garden!

Alaina
miscellaneous
miscellaneous

Female Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Hello from South Carolina! Empty Re: Hello from South Carolina!

Post  Furbalsmom 1/11/2012, 5:36 pm

Hello from South Carolina! 654548 Alaina, glad to have you join us. Since you lurked a bit first, I hope you saw what a nice group of people we have here.

What a great way to get started, reading the ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING BOOK and getting 4 - 4X4s started. That is quite an accomplishment.

If you are unsure whether your MM was correct, please read this thread,HOW STRONG IS YOUR BACKBONE because there is a LOT of information on selcting compost varieties and suggestions for getting your mix just right. Moving those boxes to a sunnier spot may be just the thing to get your garden going.

Please keep us posted on your progress
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 1/11/2012, 6:36 pm

Welcome & good luck this year. Be sure to keep us up to date with pictures.
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Hello from South Carolina! Empty Hello in South Carolina

Post  Davanna Driggers 1/11/2012, 10:50 pm

Hey Alena!

I am also here in Lexington, South Carolina. We are practically neighbors! Our cucumbers did well, too. But we had a lot of problems with squash bugs! We are still growing cabbages and Brussel sprouts. I'd love to chat with you. We have a good size group of SFG'ers here.

I can't wait to see your posts!
Davanna Driggers
Davanna Driggers

Female Posts : 29

http://www.faithvisionministries.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 1/12/2012, 8:54 am

Greetings Alaina and Davanna,

I'm going to give you both a warm welcome here on the forum..... Hello from South Carolina! 396615

Looks like both of you two are just on the border of where the Lower and Middle South meet. I'm just up I-77 outside of Rock Hill. Check out the middle south forum when you get a chance. We have "sticky" posts located at the top with planting dates and other such vital information and I post videos to help people visualize the set-up.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/f9-middle-south

Let me know if i can help in anyway. SFG is a blast and a breeze. You 'll love those yummy veggies.

I'm pretty sure I need to adjust my MM b/c one bed is off, so I'm going to build a couple more beds, unsure of the size, redo my MM and shift my garden so it gets more sun.

This happens all the time and the learning curve is what makes you into a solid gardener as you get some seasons under you belt. Even though you got a late start last time, you are bound to hit the ground running this time around with the experience you now have Smile

Again, great to have some more South Carolinians here on the forum. Pls update me and the rest of us on your progress Very Happy We love pics !!!
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 1/12/2012, 9:51 am

welcome misc! I live in a similar zone in TX - right on the line between zones. I did some sweet potatoes this past year as well - they came out a moderate success I guess - trying again this year. Did you start your own slips or did you buy some? I bought mine from tatorman (http://www.tatorman.com/) and was happy with the cost and shipping. I used tubs, but I think I am going to plant them in my front flower beds this year.... TAKE THAT HOA! Smile
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  miscellaneous 1/12/2012, 11:39 am

Thanks for the welcome! I've been reading that thread about MM. I'm from Charleston, SC, and going to visit family in a week or two and I might see if I can get some different compost types like the shrimp since it's on the coast.

I had planned last year on taking lots of pictures, but didn't - this year I am going to do better. I'm really close to my grandma, and we chat several times a week so I was telling her about how I'm trying to plan my spring garden and she's interested in seeing the garden. Not that at 91 she can physically get out there, but she just likes to stay in the loop and who wouldn't want to see lovely garden pictures?! So I am definitely going to take pictures!

It's really nice having some local people! There are some people down my street that SFG, but I don't know them and now they have a fence so I can't see their garden. Sad I always noticed it when I was walking my dogs and was too shy to say "hey, I'm starting SFG too!" Don't know why I didn't now. Maybe if I see them out I will say hello.

@ashort - I did sweet potatos from plants since I started so late last year and they did well. This year I'm doing slips though.
miscellaneous
miscellaneous

Female Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down