Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Seed Starting!!  - Page 6 Toplef10Seed Starting!!  - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Seed Starting!!  - Page 6 I22gcj10Seed Starting!!  - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Seed Starting!!  - Page 6 Toplef10Seed Starting!!  - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Seed Starting!!  - Page 6 I22gcj10Seed Starting!!  - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Seed Starting!!

+62
yolos
trolleydriver
CitizenKate
Kathy Gizzi
reynajrainwater
Scorpio Rising
AtlantaMarie
kauairosina
meatburner
Dunkinjean
R&R 1011
mschaef
tagyourit
cygnus
katjohn83
jendear
has55
sanderson
Hardcoir
Signey
Goosegirl
mollyhespra
floyd1440
NHGardener
cheyannarach
llama momma
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Lavender Debs
TN_GARDENER
peanut0915
bwaynef
littlejo
cindre2000
JackieB999
CindiLou
Thomas
BackRiver_SFG
Lindacol
Turan
SusNton
donnainzone5
CapeCoddess
JK
kritika19
GWN
camprn
HunkieDorie23
Red-Leg
jkahn2eb
Furbalsmom
BackyardBirdGardner
littlesapphire
walshevak
eflan
plantoid
LaborDay RN
quiltbea
rocketman1701
Ha-v-v
RoOsTeR
martha
ModernDayBetty
66 posters

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Seed Starting!!  - Page 6 Empty Re: Seed Starting!!

Post  plantoid 1/28/2013, 11:34 pm

If physically I'm up to it I will take some picies tomorrow of my raising and lowering system for my grow lights , its cheap, easy to do and very effective .

A big plus is that you already have plenty of string to play with it's just the way you've done it that is complicated .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/29/2013, 7:11 am

Photos were too confused to obtain meaningful explanations so I've done a quick sketch for you instead.

I only use a single block and line, but have shown the use of a double block just incase you want to try it .
The drill holes in the blocks are just a bit bigger than the diameter of the cord .
Using four holes is better for gripping the cord than three holes like a tent guy rope adjuster has . I've marked my cordd with a marker pen every 1 &1/2 inches from the knot backwards so it is easy to judge the setting heights when setting up or adjusting for growth.

My adjuster blocks are cut from a cheap veg / food cutting table top block stolen of our kitchen Laughing , it was about 1/4 inch thick .

Seed Starting!!  - Page 6 Guylineadjusterblock001_zps1df25490
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 1/29/2013, 8:16 am

Thanks for the drawing, Plantoid! So, do you have one of these on either end of the lights?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 1/29/2013, 8:40 am

I use rope n some tent tensioners (dog bones) to adjust the light height. I made mine out of milk jug caps, but pretty much anything with a couple holes in it will work, if you know how to loop the rope correctly (not difficult at all).

Seed Starting!!  - Page 6 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCdMe1q_gMZcKuvSUVt75YDmmP6EYN_FdBWhbttaYd8iOS4EaUNA

Seed Starting!!  - Page 6 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXJACd-kecqcsiw0loKadntkOK7vqCt_11OlCfApN6NXA5vZZ4Og
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/29/2013, 10:30 am

I would think pieces of chain tossed over the upper brace with a hook in the top of the light would work perfectly and easily. You lower or raise by moving the chain up or down in the hook.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 1/29/2013, 11:00 am

A tensioner out of a bottle cap! Some people's creativity amazes me.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 1/29/2013, 11:39 am

NHGardener wrote:A tensioner out of a bottle cap! Some people's creativity amazes me.

I certainly didn't invent this idea, but i did make some with good results. Easy, peasy.

I'm sure the chains work wonderfully, but I didn't have any chain so I went with some rope I had lying around.
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Post  SusNton 1/29/2013, 9:59 pm

Just wanted to share what I sowed today..Black seeded Simpson, Simpson Elite, All Year Lettuce...And some tom and peppers seeds as well...A lil early maybe, but I'm hoping to have the greenhouse done soon..
Tomato seeds sown, Brandywine, blk Brandywine ,celebrity, Early Girl, Cherokee purple, and gardeners delight..

Seed Starting!!  - Page 6 00111

These Individual containers I sowed ~20-25 lettuce seeds ea. whatever the pkt was..
Seed Starting!!  - Page 6 00211

SusNton
SusNton

Male Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/30/2013, 10:43 am

I always thought seeds should be started without light, until germination, except for lettuce and a few types of flowers. Maybe the experts out there can tell me if that's true.

SusNton....Great little greenhouses you've got there for your seeds.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef 1/30/2013, 10:57 am

quiltbea wrote:I always thought seeds should be started without light, until germination, except for lettuce and a few types of flowers. Maybe the experts out there can tell me if that's true.

I'm not the expert you're hoping for but...

Seeds don't NEED light, but it won't be a hindrance.
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/30/2013, 4:07 pm

Quite alot of seeds do actually need light to get going .
It surprised me just how many , lots of fine seeds that are like tiny grains of dust flowers or herbs or as said lettuce seeds are in that class .So are celery and celeraic , mustard cress , I think it's the same for some of the grass families are too..

Though for the life of me I can't remember what the bottany term the seeds are refered to as .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/30/2013, 6:11 pm

plantoid wrote:Quite alot of seeds do actually need light to get going .
It surprised me just how many , lots of fine seeds that are like tiny grains of dust flowers or herbs or as said lettuce seeds are in that class .So are celery and celeraic , mustard cress , I think it's the same for some of the grass families are too..

Though for the life of me I can't remember what the bottany term the seeds are refered to as .

I can't remember the term either, but I do know that the 'rule of thumb' is to plant the seed twice as deep as it is thick. Basically, if it is too small for you to measure and cover properly, it probably needs a bit of light!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/30/2013, 6:52 pm

Goosegirl wrote:
plantoid wrote:Quite alot of seeds do actually need light to get going .

I can't remember the term either, but I do know that the 'rule of thumb' is to plant the seed twice as deep as it is thick. Basically, if it is too small for you to measure and cover properly, it probably needs a bit of light!

GG
photosensitive?
http://www.seedquest.com/vegetables/lettuce/expo/seeddynamics/whyprimeseed.htm

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Seed Starting!!  - Page 6 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  SusNton 1/30/2013, 10:37 pm

quiltbea wrote:I always thought seeds should be started without light, until germination, except for lettuce and a few types of flowers. Maybe the experts out there can tell me if that's true.

SusNton....Great little greenhouses you've got there for your seeds.

Thanks quiltbea..The light I have on is for the lettuce on top shelf and the toms n pepper seeds are in the lower shelf with no direct lighting on them..AFAIK or read I should say (no expert here) peppers and toms will germinate with or w/o light.
I'll see how they do...FWIW, I have the light on a 18/6 schedule..
SusNton
SusNton

Male Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Seed Starting!!  - Page 6 Empty Indoor Seed Starting in a Strange Climate

Post  donnainzone5 3/3/2013, 9:35 pm

Is chat still open? If so, I'm struggling to figure out when to start seeds here in Central Oregon. The charts say one thing, the nursery another, and gardening neighbors something else!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Signey 3/3/2013, 11:49 pm

Oh I have a ton of Q's...I think I am supposed to plant seeds in the next week or so....I am Zone 6b, northeast TN...I have NEVER done this, but I have the plans to build a grow light stand...and am thinking I probably will need a heater of some kind as well. But budget is limited so am thinking maybe the heating pad will do?
Signey
Signey

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/4/2013, 7:31 am

I used my heating pad for two years until I could get a real seed mat this year. Problem was the heating pad had an automatic shut off and didn't stay on the entire time. But I still think it gave the seeds a boost.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 3/4/2013, 7:33 am

Signey wrote:Oh I have a ton of Q's...I think I am supposed to plant seeds in the next week or so....I am Zone 6b, northeast TN...I have NEVER done this, but I have the plans to build a grow light stand...and am thinking I probably will need a heater of some kind as well. But budget is limited so am thinking maybe the heating pad will do?

Sometimes slowing down a bit and taking baby steps can really help and give you a better understanding and feel for gardening. I'm not trying to discourage you from doing plants from seeds, but there is no shame in buying starter plants. I know it's nice to be as self sufficient as possible, but sometimes it's not a bad thing to get a little experience under your belt. Especially if your budget is limited. You can save yourself some money and buy growing supplies over the next year to plant seeds next year.
Growing from seeds isn't difficult, and if you have access to some nice sunny windows, grow lights are needed. I've never used a heat pad and had no problems growing from seed.

Seed Starting!!  - Page 6 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Signey 3/4/2013, 8:02 am

Hi Rooster, thanks for the reply. The way my house is situated, I have no good sunny windows, so the grow light is a necessity. And I will confess that the only reason i am growing from seed is so I can start playing in the dirt BEFORE the last frost! lol
I think my heating pad also has a shut-off control...Hmm...I MAY have to invest in a grow-pad...darn lol
Signey
Signey

Back to top Go down

Seed Starting!!  - Page 6 Empty seed starting 2

Post  Turan 3/4/2013, 10:17 am

Rather than buying a heat pad trying checking around the house for a warm spot on top of a fridge or water heater. The seeds do not need light until they have sprouted and they do not need bottom heat after they have sprouted.

I have used an old Coleman cooler with an incadescent bulb to heat it. Same set up I used for day old chicks. That works too. Or a light bulb under a cookie sheet might work.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Seed Starting!!  - Page 6 Empty County Extension Agent

Post  Hardcoir 3/4/2013, 10:28 am

Your county extension agent is your best source for obtaining the most accurate average last frost free date. I know you live in a unique area with climates that can vary by just a couple miles. You are technically Zone 6, but parts of Oregon can be multi-zonal. My advice is to go with your most conservative date to avoid a headache. Most plants will quickly catch up if they go outside a week to 10 days later than the earlier planting dates. Unless you are growing Early Girl tomatoes and must have a fresh tomato before July 4, do like the older farmers and plant later rather than earlier.
Hardcoir
Hardcoir

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 3/4/2013, 11:02 am

Finding my LFD is the least of my worries! June 24 is the official date I'm going by, although some websites say July 7.

The problem lies in how soon to start seeds indoors. I made a chart based on Mel's info. For example, Broccoli should be started indoors NOW, and planted outside between May 16 and May 23. My neighbors tell me I'm a month early! (By the way, PlantMaps.com puts me in its Zone 5.)

And one local nursery (staffed with Master Gardeners, for the most part) tells me that I can direct-sow peas, beets, spinach, lettuce, etc. any time now.

Another nursery looked up indoor seed-starting dates for this area and provided quite a list, including chard, kale, lettuce, onion, pea, radish, leeks, and spinach.

And OSU Extension says to begin transplanting broccoli in April (this is its calendar for Central Oregon).

My suspicion is that I probably should start seeds a bit early, transplant at the appropriate interval, and protect from frost/snow as necessary. Our growing season is so short!

Hard Coir, you seem to have a great deal of knowledge about my new climate. Have you lived in this region? Are you a Master Gardener or meteorologist?

Incidentally, my particular address lies in a so-called "banana belt" here in Bend.

I hope all this explains my confusion. Shocked
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/4/2013, 11:29 am

If you have the seed starting space you could stagger-plant, say broccs one week then do a few more the next week, and maybe even the following week. This way you have a 3 week variable growth of plants. When the outdoor soil temps are agreeable to transplanting, wallah you'll probably have something ready to go at the right time. Also read that when in doubt, go by the seed packet intructions when to sow indoors. They know the individual product best and should supercede anyone else's advice. It made sense to me (provided I have good sense) Razz
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/4/2013, 12:10 pm

donnainzone10 wrote:Finding my LFD is the least of my worries! June 24 is the official date I'm going by, although some websites say July 7.
I would consider this the safe days to put out your most tender plants, the tomatoes, eggplants, peppers. I have a similar last frost date, but I put out my tender summer veggie plants a few weeks earlier IF THE SOIL IS WARM ENOUGH and I am prepared to cover the plants at night if necessary.

donnainzone10 wrote:The problem lies in how soon to start seeds indoors. I made a chart based on Mel's info. For example, Broccoli should be started indoors NOW, and planted outside between May 16 and May 23. My neighbors tell me I'm a month early! (By the way, PlantMaps.com puts me in its Zone 5.)
Plant maps has pretty current info and I have found the almanac dates accurate. Again, think of the plant requirements whilst calculating your timing.

donnainzone10 wrote:And one local nursery (staffed with Master Gardeners, for the most part) tells me that I can direct-sow peas, beets, spinach, lettuce, etc. any time now.
This is absolutely true, you may plant these AS SOON AS THE SOIL CAN BE WORKED and it's not mud.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Seed Starting!!  - Page 6 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 3/4/2013, 12:21 pm

Thanks, Camp.

Hmmm.... OSU Extension says to transplant tomatoes late May-early June. I'm beginning to suspect that the trick here is to set out transplants as soon as the soil warms sufficiently and the weather isn't too cold.

Generally, we have to take advantage of higher daytime temps while we can and protect from low nighttime temps. Those can vary 50 degrees F, day to night.

By the way, I'm considering getting a soil block maker, but am unsure whether MM would hold up. What do you think?
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next