Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My first garden and some questions Toplef10My first garden and some questions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My first garden and some questions I22gcj10My first garden and some questions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List!
by markqz Yesterday at 2:09 pm

» Update on Marie's mom
by Kelejan Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Serrano Peppers
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing October to December 2019
by Kelejan Yesterday at 7:02 am

» Homemade Christmas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:22 am

» Grapefruit
by countrynaturals 12/8/2019, 6:25 pm

» Sanderson - On the Road
by countrynaturals 12/8/2019, 5:27 pm

» Container Gardening
by countrynaturals 12/8/2019, 10:08 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals 12/8/2019, 10:03 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 12/8/2019, 7:25 am

» Potato Seeds, not Seed Potatoes
by Dan in Ct 12/8/2019, 6:20 am

» Hydrogen Peroxide
by has55 12/8/2019, 3:50 am

» New England, December, 2019
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 5:07 pm

» Steam canning?
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 4:47 pm

» De Jours 18 Radish
by markqz 12/7/2019, 4:11 pm

» Gardening Life hack - fixing bucket handles
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 4:05 pm

» Is this the right place?
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 3:30 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by donnainzone5 12/7/2019, 12:47 pm

» ROOKIE TOPIC XVII Seed Starting Dates
by countrynaturals 12/7/2019, 12:15 am

» TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer
by Scorpio Rising 12/6/2019, 8:37 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 12/6/2019, 1:23 pm

» Bee Balm
by countrynaturals 12/6/2019, 9:34 am

» Hi I’m new
by AtlantaMarie 12/6/2019, 6:47 am

» Friday Rookie Topic XIV: Potato Onions
by countrynaturals 12/5/2019, 8:03 pm

» Mid-South: December
by sanderson 12/5/2019, 2:30 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/5/2019, 12:58 pm

» What are your best Greenhouse tips for a first timer?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2019, 10:54 am

» new member needs help
by Dan in Ct 12/5/2019, 9:56 am

» Brand new in SW Idaho
by AtlantaMarie 12/5/2019, 8:48 am

» What, no French Fries?
by Kelejan 12/5/2019, 6:19 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

My first garden and some questions

Go down

My first garden and some questions Empty My first garden and some questions

Post  TejasTerry on 1/7/2012, 3:22 pm

I find myself going overboard buying seeds, etc., This will be my first attempt at a garden, and I am building a 4 x 8.

So I noticed that with summer squash, they recommend covering it to help control insects. What kind of cover? Also here in South Texas, the sun is pretty brutal come July/August. Do I need to get some shade cloth? Will that still let enough full sun thru for tomatoes, etc?

This is my list for my 4 x 8 garden. Is there anything in this list that you experienced gardners think a newbie may be challenged with? Thanks for all your help and shared experience. I LOVE this forum ... TejasTerry

tomatoes, both heirloom and a few hybrids, i.e. Porter, Arkansas Traveler and a few cherry tomatoes for hot climates

summer squash
tomatios
bell pepper
cucumber
eggplant
okra
swiss chard
cilantro
peppers
beans (bush)
radishes
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Female Posts : 160
Join date : 2011-12-31
Age : 58
Location : Texas Hill Country north of San Antonio

Back to top Go down

My first garden and some questions Empty Re: My first garden and some questions

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 1/7/2012, 3:37 pm

I think any cool season veggie will be a challenge in the Texas Hill Country after about Memorial Day....maybe sooner. Summer veggies should be fine. However, remember tomatoes don't set fruit well when temps get above 90°.

As for buying seeds, don't worry. Just read up on Mel's seed saving concept in the book.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727
Join date : 2010-12-25
Age : 45
Location : St. Louis, MO

Back to top Go down

My first garden and some questions Empty Re: My first garden and some questions

Post  HillbillyBob on 1/7/2012, 4:04 pm

@TejasTerry wrote:I find myself going overboard buying seeds, etc., This will be my first attempt at a garden, and I am building a 4 x 8.

So I noticed that with summer squash, they recommend covering it to help control insects. What kind of cover? Also here in South Texas, the sun is pretty brutal come July/August. Do I need to get some shade cloth? Will that still let enough full sun thru for tomatoes, etc?

This is my list for my 4 x 8 garden. Is there anything in this list that you experienced gardners think a newbie may be challenged with? Thanks for all your help and shared experience. I LOVE this forum ... TejasTerry

tomatoes, both heirloom and a few hybrids, i.e. Porter, Arkansas Traveler and a few cherry tomatoes for hot climates

summer squash
tomatios
bell pepper
cucumber
eggplant
okra
swiss chard
cilantro
peppers
beans (bush)
radishes

No corn or Peas you sure your from Texas??Laughing



When the seed package say full sun "they are not talking to us in Texas,they mean full sun in early spring ( before end of March) then they mean shady cover until you plant a fall crop in Sept. fall crop can go back to fullsun,look outside in the moring and see where your am sun is now,remember that because in March or Apr. I'll ask again you will see what I'm talking about then:scratch: :scratch: holy smoke way didn't I think of that study study. every thing doesn't come from a book study when your dealing with a living thing sunny sunny sunny My first garden and some questions 3170584802 study
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162
Join date : 2011-12-27
Location : E.Texas

Back to top Go down

My first garden and some questions Empty Re: My first garden and some questions

Post  TejasTerry on 1/7/2012, 5:37 pm

Ok so I need to plan on some shade cloth. I just cut down some big cedar trees to get some sunny areas in the back yard....now covering it back up ..:scratch: But that makes sense.



I don't do peas (yet) or corn. I'm more into hot peppers and cilantro....I'm a white girl with a mexican soul... My first garden and some questions 656620
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Female Posts : 160
Join date : 2011-12-31
Age : 58
Location : Texas Hill Country north of San Antonio

Back to top Go down

My first garden and some questions Empty Re: My first garden and some questions

Post  miinva on 1/7/2012, 8:21 pm

You should try culantro, from what I understand it's easier to store and isn't as sensitive to heat. I'm hoping to grow some this year, although I have so many seeds left over that I struggle to justify buying more, but they're cheap, right? Smile Here's a link to organic seeds on Amazon: culantro seed
avatar
miinva

Female Posts : 778
Join date : 2010-04-29
Age : 50
Location : Central Virginia, 7A as far as I can tell

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

My first garden and some questions Empty Re: My first garden and some questions

Post  Chopper on 1/8/2012, 1:33 am

Wow! I had never heard of that. Cilantro does bolt amazingly fast in the heat. I found this in Wikipedia (which we all know is 100% accurate Rolling Eyes but in this instance I will give it the benefit of the doubt.

Eryngium foetidum is a tropical perennial and annual herb in the family Apiaceae. It is native to Mexico and South America but is cultivated worldwide. In the United States, where it is not well known, the name culantro sometimes causes confusion with Coriandrum sativum (also in Apiaceae), the leaves of which are known as cilantro, and which culantro is said to taste like.[1]


[edit] Common names


In English-speaking Caribbean Countries Eryngium foetidum is also referred to as shadon, shado beni (or shadow benny), or bandhania. Other English common names include: Recao (Puerto Rico), cilantro ancho (Dominican Republic), long, wild, or Mexican coriander, fitweed, spiritweed, duck-tongue herb, sawtooth or saw-leaf herb, sawtooth coriander.

[edit] Uses


[edit] Culinary

My first garden and some questions 220px-B_dhaniaMy first garden and some questions Magnify-clip

Eryngium foetidum foliage





E. foetidum is widely used in seasoning and marinating in the Caribbean, particularly in Trinidad and Tobago. It is also used extensively in Thailand, India, Vietnam, and other parts of Asia as a culinary herb. This variety of coriander dries well, retaining good color and flavor, making it valuable in the dried herb industry. It is sometimes used as a substitute for cilantro, but it has a much stronger taste.

In the United States, Eryngium foetidum grows naturally in Florida, Georgia, Hawai'i, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.[2] It is sold in grocery stores as a culinary herb under the common names; "culantro" (pronounced /kuːˈlɑːntroʊ/) and/or "recao" (pronounced |re:`kow|).
avatar
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Join date : 2010-05-05
Age : 64
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

My first garden and some questions Empty Re: My first garden and some questions

Post  TejasTerry on 1/8/2012, 7:46 am

I definently have cilantro on my list. I hate buying it in the stores because I'll only use a little, and then the whole bunch goes to waste. I guess I could try drying it...I should do that. I wonder if worms like cilantro? I will be getting my worm farm going in a few weeks.

We are taking a trip to Vegas next week (I play poker), and as soon as we get back, going to start building the boxes. I'll be starting my seeds indoors soon, so need to find the medium vermiculite for that. I have no problem finding the course here in my area.

Thanks!

TejasTerry
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Female Posts : 160
Join date : 2011-12-31
Age : 58
Location : Texas Hill Country north of San Antonio

Back to top Go down

My first garden and some questions Empty Re: My first garden and some questions

Post  Goosegirl on 1/8/2012, 10:33 am

@TejasTerry wrote:I definently have cilantro on my list. I hate buying it in the stores because I'll only use a little, and then the whole bunch goes to waste. I guess I could try drying it...I should do that. I wonder if worms like cilantro? I will be getting my worm farm going in a few weeks.

TejasTerry

Cilantro does not keep its flavor well when dried, but from what I have read, Culantro does. I have Cilantro that grows wild in my garden (has reseeded itself WELL) but I think I am adding Culantro this year so I can save some dried.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3433
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 54
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

Back to top Go down

My first garden and some questions Empty Re: My first garden and some questions

Post  camprn on 1/8/2012, 12:57 pm

@Goosegirl wrote:
@TejasTerry wrote:I definently have cilantro on my list. I hate buying it in the stores because I'll only use a little, and then the whole bunch goes to waste. I guess I could try drying it...I should do that. I wonder if worms like cilantro? I will be getting my worm farm going in a few weeks.

TejasTerry

Cilantro does not keep its flavor well when dried, but from what I have read, Culantro does. I have Cilantro that grows wild in my garden (has reseeded itself WELL) but I think I am adding Culantro this year so I can save some dried.

GG
Has anyone tried freezing it? Does it preserve more flavor? Hmm, I have some frozen out in the garden, I suppose I could go give it a try... Shocked

____________________________

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



My first garden and some questions WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 57
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

http://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

My first garden and some questions Empty Re: My first garden and some questions

Post  Rhianna78 on 1/8/2012, 1:53 pm

I've grown medicinal & culinary herbs for years so I'd think that cilantro would be okay when frozen. It doesn't have as much water in the cells as something like a garlic so there should be much less flavor loss. If anyone tries it let me know. I can't stand cilantro (growing up in South Texas did in my desires for that herb) but knowledge is always useful.
Rhianna78
Rhianna78

Female Posts : 45
Join date : 2012-01-08
Location : Poquoson, VA

Back to top Go down

My first garden and some questions Empty Re: My first garden and some questions

Post  camprn on 1/8/2012, 1:56 pm

@Rhianna78 wrote: knowledge is always useful.
+1

____________________________

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



My first garden and some questions WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 57
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

http://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

My first garden and some questions Empty Re: My first garden and some questions

Post  ashort on 1/10/2012, 3:30 pm

@Rhianna78 wrote:I've grown medicinal & culinary herbs for years so I'd think that cilantro would be okay when frozen. It doesn't have as much water in the cells as something like a garlic so there should be much less flavor loss. If anyone tries it let me know. I can't stand cilantro (growing up in South Texas did in my desires for that herb) but knowledge is always useful.

Cilantro:

A little bit is good
A bit more is okay
Too much gives a grassy flavor....
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 51
Location : Frisco, TX zone 8a

Back to top Go down

My first garden and some questions Empty Re: My first garden and some questions

Post  TejasTerry on 1/10/2012, 4:10 pm

My husband hates cliantro...so I was hoping that by growing it in the garden, I could pinch off a little here and there for enhancing my food.

On another note, I have so much to learn. I went to Gardenville today to buy some vermiculite to start my seeds indoors. I thought I would ask the guy a few questions, like, do I really need shade cloth for my garden here in S. Texas....he looks at me like I'm an idiot and says, "well, you'll find out this summer if you need it or not, won't you?"...Uhhhh, sorry for asking.... My first garden and some questions 926169
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Female Posts : 160
Join date : 2011-12-31
Age : 58
Location : Texas Hill Country north of San Antonio

Back to top Go down

My first garden and some questions Empty Re: My first garden and some questions

Post  ashort on 1/10/2012, 4:45 pm

@TejasTerry wrote:My husband hates cliantro...so I was hoping that by growing it in the garden, I could pinch off a little here and there for enhancing my food.

On another note, I have so much to learn. I went to Gardenville today to buy some vermiculite to start my seeds indoors. I thought I would ask the guy a few questions, like, do I really need shade cloth for my garden here in S. Texas....he looks at me like I'm an idiot and says, "well, you'll find out this summer if you need it or not, won't you?"...Uhhhh, sorry for asking.... My first garden and some questions 926169

Shade cloth - depends upon what you are growing... I didn't use them through the summer here in the DFW area - grew hot peppers, sweet peppers, eggplants, okra, tomatoes, sweet potatoes... my sweet peppers, egg plants, and big tomatoes didn't set any fruit during the heat - but my most of my hot peppers and cherry tomatoes did. My okra grew like something out of Jack and the beanstalk - I planted eight plants - three of them ended up being dominant and shading the others. The three big ones grew to nine feet tall... I had to gently bend the top 3 feet over to cut the okra from up there... next year I will lop off the plant at about 3-4 feet so that it creates more secondary branches and plant half as many plants
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 51
Location : Frisco, TX zone 8a

Back to top Go down

My first garden and some questions Empty Re: My first garden and some questions

Post  TejasTerry on 1/10/2012, 5:19 pm

@ashort wrote:
@TejasTerry wrote:My husband hates cliantro...so I was hoping that by growing it in the garden, I could pinch off a little here and there for enhancing my food.

On another note, I have so much to learn. I went to Gardenville today to buy some vermiculite to start my seeds indoors. I thought I would ask the guy a few questions, like, do I really need shade cloth for my garden here in S. Texas....he looks at me like I'm an idiot and says, "well, you'll find out this summer if you need it or not, won't you?"...Uhhhh, sorry for asking.... My first garden and some questions 926169

Shade cloth - depends upon what you are growing... I didn't use them through the summer here in the DFW area - grew hot peppers, sweet peppers, eggplants, okra, tomatoes, sweet potatoes... my sweet peppers, egg plants, and big tomatoes didn't set any fruit during the heat - but my most of my hot peppers and cherry tomatoes did. My okra grew like something out of Jack and the beanstalk - I planted eight plants - three of them ended up being dominant and shading the others. The three big ones grew to nine feet tall... I had to gently bend the top 3 feet over to cut the okra from up there... next year I will lop off the plant at about 3-4 feet so that it creates more secondary branches and plant half as many plants

I will be growing about the same veggies you mentioned. Guess I will wait and see how hot it gets this summer. I'll remember that about the okra. I remember growing up in San Antonio, my mom always had more okra than anything else in her garden. That and Swiss Chard. Yummy....
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Female Posts : 160
Join date : 2011-12-31
Age : 58
Location : Texas Hill Country north of San Antonio

Back to top Go down

My first garden and some questions Empty Re: My first garden and some questions

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum