Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My first garden and some questions Toplef10My first garden and some questions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My first garden and some questions I22gcj10My first garden and some questions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My first garden and some questions Toplef10My first garden and some questions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My first garden and some questions I22gcj10My first garden and some questions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My first garden and some questions

+5
Chopper
miinva
HillbillyBob
BackyardBirdGardner
TejasTerry
9 posters

Go down

My first garden and some questions Empty My first garden and some questions

Post  TejasTerry 1/7/2012, 3:22 pm

I find myself going overboard buying seeds, etc., This will be my first attempt at a garden, and I am building a 4 x 8.

So I noticed that with summer squash, they recommend covering it to help control insects. What kind of cover? Also here in South Texas, the sun is pretty brutal come July/August. Do I need to get some shade cloth? Will that still let enough full sun thru for tomatoes, etc?

This is my list for my 4 x 8 garden. Is there anything in this list that you experienced gardners think a newbie may be challenged with? Thanks for all your help and shared experience. I LOVE this forum ... TejasTerry

tomatoes, both heirloom and a few hybrids, i.e. Porter, Arkansas Traveler and a few cherry tomatoes for hot climates

summer squash
tomatios
bell pepper
cucumber
eggplant
okra
swiss chard
cilantro
peppers
beans (bush)
radishes
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Female Posts : 160

Back to top Go down

My first garden and some questions Empty Re: My first garden and some questions

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 1/7/2012, 3:37 pm

I think any cool season veggie will be a challenge in the Texas Hill Country after about Memorial Day....maybe sooner. Summer veggies should be fine. However, remember tomatoes don't set fruit well when temps get above 90°.

As for buying seeds, don't worry. Just read up on Mel's seed saving concept in the book.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 1/7/2012, 4:04 pm

TejasTerry wrote:I find myself going overboard buying seeds, etc., This will be my first attempt at a garden, and I am building a 4 x 8.

So I noticed that with summer squash, they recommend covering it to help control insects. What kind of cover? Also here in South Texas, the sun is pretty brutal come July/August. Do I need to get some shade cloth? Will that still let enough full sun thru for tomatoes, etc?

This is my list for my 4 x 8 garden. Is there anything in this list that you experienced gardners think a newbie may be challenged with? Thanks for all your help and shared experience. I LOVE this forum ... TejasTerry

tomatoes, both heirloom and a few hybrids, i.e. Porter, Arkansas Traveler and a few cherry tomatoes for hot climates

summer squash
tomatios
bell pepper
cucumber
eggplant
okra
swiss chard
cilantro
peppers
beans (bush)
radishes

No corn or Peas you sure your from Texas??Laughing

When the seed package say full sun "they are not talking to us in Texas,they mean full sun in early spring ( before end of March) then they mean shady cover until you plant a fall crop in Sept. fall crop can go back to fullsun,look outside in the moring and see where your am sun is now,remember that because in March or Apr. I'll ask again you will see what I'm talking about then:scratch: :scratch: holy smoke way didn't I think of that study study. every thing doesn't come from a book study when your dealing with a living thing sunny sunny sunny My first garden and some questions 3170584802 study
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Post  TejasTerry 1/7/2012, 5:37 pm

Ok so I need to plan on some shade cloth. I just cut down some big cedar trees to get some sunny areas in the back yard....now covering it back up ..:scratch: But that makes sense.

I don't do peas (yet) or corn. I'm more into hot peppers and cilantro....I'm a white girl with a mexican soul... My first garden and some questions 656620
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 1/7/2012, 8:21 pm

You should try culantro, from what I understand it's easier to store and isn't as sensitive to heat. I'm hoping to grow some this year, although I have so many seeds left over that I struggle to justify buying more, but they're cheap, right? Smile Here's a link to organic seeds on Amazon: culantro seed
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 1/8/2012, 1:33 am

Wow! I had never heard of that. Cilantro does bolt amazingly fast in the heat. I found this in Wikipedia (which we all know is 100% accurate Rolling Eyes but in this instance I will give it the benefit of the doubt.

Eryngium foetidum is a tropical perennial and annual herb in the family Apiaceae. It is native to Mexico and South America but is cultivated worldwide. In the United States, where it is not well known, the name culantro sometimes causes confusion with Coriandrum sativum (also in Apiaceae), the leaves of which are known as cilantro, and which culantro is said to taste like.[1]

[edit] Common names

In English-speaking Caribbean Countries Eryngium foetidum is also referred to as shadon, shado beni (or shadow benny), or bandhania. Other English common names include: Recao (Puerto Rico), cilantro ancho (Dominican Republic), long, wild, or Mexican coriander, fitweed, spiritweed, duck-tongue herb, sawtooth or saw-leaf herb, sawtooth coriander.

[edit] Uses

[edit] Culinary

My first garden and some questions 220px-B_dhaniaMy first garden and some questions Magnify-clip

Eryngium foetidum foliage

E. foetidum is widely used in seasoning and marinating in the Caribbean, particularly in Trinidad and Tobago. It is also used extensively in Thailand, India, Vietnam, and other parts of Asia as a culinary herb. This variety of coriander dries well, retaining good color and flavor, making it valuable in the dried herb industry. It is sometimes used as a substitute for cilantro, but it has a much stronger taste.

In the United States, Eryngium foetidum grows naturally in Florida, Georgia, Hawai'i, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.[2] It is sold in grocery stores as a culinary herb under the common names; "culantro" (pronounced /kuːˈlɑːntroʊ/) and/or "recao" (pronounced |re:`kow|).
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TejasTerry 1/8/2012, 7:46 am

I definently have cilantro on my list. I hate buying it in the stores because I'll only use a little, and then the whole bunch goes to waste. I guess I could try drying it...I should do that. I wonder if worms like cilantro? I will be getting my worm farm going in a few weeks.

We are taking a trip to Vegas next week (I play poker), and as soon as we get back, going to start building the boxes. I'll be starting my seeds indoors soon, so need to find the medium vermiculite for that. I have no problem finding the course here in my area.

Thanks!

TejasTerry
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/8/2012, 10:33 am

TejasTerry wrote:I definently have cilantro on my list. I hate buying it in the stores because I'll only use a little, and then the whole bunch goes to waste. I guess I could try drying it...I should do that. I wonder if worms like cilantro? I will be getting my worm farm going in a few weeks.

TejasTerry

Cilantro does not keep its flavor well when dried, but from what I have read, Culantro does. I have Cilantro that grows wild in my garden (has reseeded itself WELL) but I think I am adding Culantro this year so I can save some dried.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/8/2012, 12:57 pm

Goosegirl wrote:
TejasTerry wrote:I definently have cilantro on my list. I hate buying it in the stores because I'll only use a little, and then the whole bunch goes to waste. I guess I could try drying it...I should do that. I wonder if worms like cilantro? I will be getting my worm farm going in a few weeks.

TejasTerry

Cilantro does not keep its flavor well when dried, but from what I have read, Culantro does. I have Cilantro that grows wild in my garden (has reseeded itself WELL) but I think I am adding Culantro this year so I can save some dried.

GG
Has anyone tried freezing it? Does it preserve more flavor? Hmm, I have some frozen out in the garden, I suppose I could go give it a try... Shocked

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

My first garden and some questions WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhianna78 1/8/2012, 1:53 pm

I've grown medicinal & culinary herbs for years so I'd think that cilantro would be okay when frozen. It doesn't have as much water in the cells as something like a garlic so there should be much less flavor loss. If anyone tries it let me know. I can't stand cilantro (growing up in South Texas did in my desires for that herb) but knowledge is always useful.
Rhianna78
Rhianna78

Female Posts : 45

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/8/2012, 1:56 pm

Rhianna78 wrote: knowledge is always useful.
+1

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

My first garden and some questions WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 1/10/2012, 3:30 pm

Rhianna78 wrote:I've grown medicinal & culinary herbs for years so I'd think that cilantro would be okay when frozen. It doesn't have as much water in the cells as something like a garlic so there should be much less flavor loss. If anyone tries it let me know. I can't stand cilantro (growing up in South Texas did in my desires for that herb) but knowledge is always useful.

Cilantro:

A little bit is good
A bit more is okay
Too much gives a grassy flavor....
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  TejasTerry 1/10/2012, 4:10 pm

My husband hates cliantro...so I was hoping that by growing it in the garden, I could pinch off a little here and there for enhancing my food.

On another note, I have so much to learn. I went to Gardenville today to buy some vermiculite to start my seeds indoors. I thought I would ask the guy a few questions, like, do I really need shade cloth for my garden here in S. Texas....he looks at me like I'm an idiot and says, "well, you'll find out this summer if you need it or not, won't you?"...Uhhhh, sorry for asking.... My first garden and some questions 926169
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 1/10/2012, 4:45 pm

TejasTerry wrote:My husband hates cliantro...so I was hoping that by growing it in the garden, I could pinch off a little here and there for enhancing my food.

On another note, I have so much to learn. I went to Gardenville today to buy some vermiculite to start my seeds indoors. I thought I would ask the guy a few questions, like, do I really need shade cloth for my garden here in S. Texas....he looks at me like I'm an idiot and says, "well, you'll find out this summer if you need it or not, won't you?"...Uhhhh, sorry for asking.... My first garden and some questions 926169

Shade cloth - depends upon what you are growing... I didn't use them through the summer here in the DFW area - grew hot peppers, sweet peppers, eggplants, okra, tomatoes, sweet potatoes... my sweet peppers, egg plants, and big tomatoes didn't set any fruit during the heat - but my most of my hot peppers and cherry tomatoes did. My okra grew like something out of Jack and the beanstalk - I planted eight plants - three of them ended up being dominant and shading the others. The three big ones grew to nine feet tall... I had to gently bend the top 3 feet over to cut the okra from up there... next year I will lop off the plant at about 3-4 feet so that it creates more secondary branches and plant half as many plants
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  TejasTerry 1/10/2012, 5:19 pm

ashort wrote:
TejasTerry wrote:My husband hates cliantro...so I was hoping that by growing it in the garden, I could pinch off a little here and there for enhancing my food.

Shade cloth - depends upon what you are growing... I didn't use them through the summer here in the DFW area - grew hot peppers, sweet peppers, eggplants, okra, tomatoes, sweet potatoes... my sweet peppers, egg plants, and big tomatoes didn't set any fruit during the heat - but my most of my hot peppers and cherry tomatoes did. My okra grew like something out of Jack and the beanstalk - I planted eight plants - three of them ended up being dominant and shading the others. The three big ones grew to nine feet tall... I had to gently bend the top 3 feet over to cut the okra from up there... next year I will lop off the plant at about 3-4 feet so that it creates more secondary branches and plant half as many plants

I will be growing about the same veggies you mentioned. Guess I will wait and see how hot it gets this summer. I'll remember that about the okra. I remember growing up in San Antonio, my mom always had more okra than anything else in her garden. That and Swiss Chard. Yummy....
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down