Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First garden with pics (and questions) Toplef10First garden with pics (and questions) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First garden with pics (and questions) I22gcj10First garden with pics (and questions) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First garden with pics (and questions) Toplef10First garden with pics (and questions) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First garden with pics (and questions) I22gcj10First garden with pics (and questions) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

First garden with pics (and questions)

+4
BackyardBirdGardner
dianamarie03
barmstr
junebug
8 posters

Go down

First garden with pics (and questions) Empty First garden with pics (and questions)

Post  junebug 5/25/2011, 4:31 pm

Hi. This is my first square foot garden and I got a little bit of a late start on it. I didn't start any of my plants indoors. They're all from seed outside so I know I might not get a good crop of everything.

The first picture is right after I built the garden and before I planted anything. Then the rest are pictures from today. I planted almost everything the last weekend of April. I didn't plant my watermelon until 2 or 3 weeks ago. I don't have anything labeled but I have a sheet of paper with a hand drawn picture of the garden and what is in each square.

My question is about what's coming up. It looks like the same thing is growing in a few different squares. We were getting so much rain I finally just decided to go out one Saturday between times it rained and planted. So my fingers got pretty dirty and I could have ended up with seeds stuck to my fingers and accidentally planted them in with other plants in the wrong squares. Since I have no idea what my plants are supposed to look like right now I wondered if someone could tell me what I could pull out? There's a lacy looking leaf in all three of the last pictures and some of my spinach looks like it has grass growing with the plant. Is that the way it's supposed to look?

From the back, left side: cucumbers (there is a 3rd plant there because my H couldn't stand me to pull it out - he replanted it), sweet peas, peppers, watermelon,
2nd row: carrots, empty, onions, empty,
next row: lettuce, basil, parsely, tomato
front row: swiss chard, lettuce, spinach and tomato

The fourth picture is supposed to be spinach. The fifth one is supposed to be lettuce and the last one is supposed to be peppers. Can anyone tell which ones are supposed to be there and which ones I need to pull?

First garden with pics (and questions) Img_0915

First garden with pics (and questions) Img_0916

First garden with pics (and questions) Img_0917

First garden with pics (and questions) Img_0918

First garden with pics (and questions) Img_0919

First garden with pics (and questions) Img_0920
junebug

Back to top Go down

First garden with pics (and questions) Empty First garden with pics (and questions)

Post  barmstr 5/25/2011, 4:37 pm

Your first garden looks great. I would not worry about a stray seed or plant. Let them go and enjoy the surprise later on. My garden has done the same thing and I didn't have any rain - just sticky fingers on my part.

Relax and enjoy the growing of the veggies. They are not particular who their neighbors are in most cases.

Bruce Razz
barmstr
barmstr

Male Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

First garden with pics (and questions) Empty Re: First garden with pics (and questions)

Post  junebug 5/25/2011, 4:39 pm

Thanks for the advice Bruce. I'll just let them grow then. Somebody is going to be very happy about that around here.
junebug

Back to top Go down

First garden with pics (and questions) Empty Re: First garden with pics (and questions)

Post  dianamarie03 5/25/2011, 5:02 pm

I'm not sure what the leafy one is.... what kind of lettuce did you plant? It almost looks like a marigold to me. And the spinach does have the long grass looking leaves when it starts growing, they are just the seed leaves and will die off as the plant grows. Smile
dianamarie03

Female Posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post  junebug 5/25/2011, 5:12 pm

The front row has romaine lettuce and the second row has bibb lettuce. At least that's what my intentions were.
junebug

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/25/2011, 6:23 pm

I think your garden looks fabulous! Many thanks for sharing.

Regarding your stray seeds, I wouldn't worry too much. Just because something pops up doesn't mean you have to pull it. Let it percolate a bit. It will identify itself before long. If it matches the rest of the square, leave it alone. If it doesn't look like the rest, pull it out.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurach 5/25/2011, 9:03 pm

As a fellow first-timer, I think your garden looks great! It's healthy and green which is what matters. I say leave the strays and look forward to surprises later. =)
Lurach
Lurach

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/25/2011, 9:05 pm

junebug, one little observation on my part. I rather think the the four squares at the junction of your two trellises are going to be a little bit hard to weed.

I only noticed it as I am not too long in the arm and I have to really stretch even when I want to get to the far edge of a second square. Do you have long arms? Very Happy

But your garden does look good and it will be interesting to see what your plants turn out to be.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  junebug 5/26/2011, 3:18 pm

I was a little concerned about the 2 trellises too. But I figured it would be worth a try to see how it goes. I don't have long arms but the squares in the trellis string are big and hopefully it will work out. I wanted too many climbing plants for one box but I didn't want to set up 2 boxes my first year. So I'm experimenting.
junebug

Back to top Go down

Post  HieronRemade 5/26/2011, 3:48 pm

junebug wrote:I was a little concerned about the 2 trellises too.
Just make sure none of the local kids start kicking soccer balls into them. Razz
HieronRemade
HieronRemade

Male Posts : 139

https://www.youtube.com/user/HieronRemade

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/26/2011, 4:04 pm

First garden with pics (and questions) Imgp1451

I left my son with a real dilemma, trellis on 3 sides. These were the one's I dug out of my beds and took to him to plant sit. I even took him the bed - he had some leftover MM. There's 2 eggplants 3 peppers in the middle of 11 tomatos. Sure hope those big squares in the trellis net allow him to tend to them. But you do what you have to do at the time. The rest of the tomatos and peppers are in pots.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/26/2011, 5:37 pm

Any advance on three sides? Laughing
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/26/2011, 5:44 pm

If you look at the picture closely, you will see that I left him a 1/2 square opening at the corner to stick his hand through. Nothing like presenting a challenge to a newbie gardener. rofl

At this point, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'll ask him to send me some pics this weekend so I can post on the Tues tomato thread.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down