Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings. Toplef10Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings. I22gcj10Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings. Toplef10Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings. I22gcj10Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings.

+2
mckr3441
Steve Healey
6 posters

Go down

Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings. Empty Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings.

Post  Steve Healey 4/17/2010, 4:46 pm

Hello Folks,
My name is Steve and I'm just converting over my 6 x 32 = 192 sqft row garden to a SqFt garden.
As part of our families conversion and planning process I was just about to construct a spreadsheet listing the following:
List names of desired of veg or fruit.
pH range
Plant spacing
Season (cold or warm)
Planting Month
Plants per SqFt
Does anyone have anything like this they would be willing to share to save me time?

I'm very excited to give this a shot and try to maximize the productivity, diversity and asthetics of our garden, especially with growing vine crops vertically!
Thx All,
Steve
E: shealey@rochester.rr.com
Steve Healey

Back to top Go down

Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings. Empty Re: Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings.

Post  mckr3441 4/17/2010, 5:08 pm

Hi Steve, welcome to the forums Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings. 396615 .

How wonderful: a row gardener willing to convert to SFG! Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings. 593714 Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings. 593714 Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings. 593714 You are going to be soooo happy you converted!

Have you read Mel's book, All New Square Foot Gardening? While the information in the book is not in spreadsheet format, most of what you mentioned is listed there in chart form.

Someone on the forum may have something like what you are looking for, though. While I've used my spreadsheet software for many databases I have yet to develop one like you're looking for.

With SFG you won't need to worry about pH if you use Mel's recommended soil mix.

Good luck with your new garden format. The Forums here are just a wealth of information.

Again, Welcome Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings. 832433 and happy easy gardening!

Claire
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings. Empty Re: Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings.

Post  Steve Healey 4/17/2010, 6:20 pm

Hi Claire,
Appreciate your welcome!

Yes I have Mel's book and have looked through all the charts in the back.
There are pieces of what I'm seeking to construct, but not the whole spdsht I envision.

I'm also using my pretty rich existing garden soil and overlaying the SqFt grid on that with 2x4x4ft and line.
Theese grids can be easily removed in the spring and I can quickly till in materil from our compost pile too.

Obviously I'm trying to integrate Mel's SqFt concepts with my existing situation, keep costs to a minimum, while vastly enhancing productivity, diverstiy and asthetics.
Part of the reason I'm considering the spdsht is to sort all this out in my mind and figure what I can plant, in what sequence, etc.

Thanks Again and Feedback is Welcome,
Steve
Steve Healey

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 4/28/2010, 5:34 pm

Steve:

It is not a spreadsheet, but, if you go to the Gardeners Supply web site you will find a grid where you can drag a pic of a plant to a square in the grid and it will automatically put the correct number of plants in the square. The program was built independently from SFGing and a few will differ from the number of plants then what is in Mel's book. It is a lot of fun and helps visualize what is planted where.

God Bless, Ward.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Healey 4/28/2010, 7:16 pm

Ward,
Thank you, could be a great tool for me right now!
I'll check it out.
Steve
Steve Healey

Back to top Go down

Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings. Empty Garden Layout Tool

Post  thyme2shyne 4/28/2010, 8:07 pm

Ward,

Thank you so much for the information regarding the Gardener's Supply garden planning tool. I thoroughly enjoyed using this tool!!
thyme2shyne

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 5/2/2010, 10:00 pm

Thank you Ward !! What a neat and nifty site.. beats the heck out of my primitive pencil and paper..Smile
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  TONY 5/3/2010, 6:27 am

Hi Steve

I have just reset out the boxes I have had for the last 4 years into SFG. I had the same thought of a spread sheet. Should it be spreadsheet, Access or just graph paper?

It's 1125 a.m. coffee in hand as we have another shower but the sun is trying to break through.

Enjoy

Tony

It's a bank holiday in England
TONY

Back to top Go down

Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings. Empty Convert Row to SqFt

Post  Steve Healey 5/3/2010, 1:37 pm

Hi Tony,
I've been iterating between a spdsht ad graph paper and refining the spdst as I go.

I built 6, 4x4 grids last weekend using cheap 2x3x8s (not treated).
I got them all planned and planted this weekend.
I also built the trellis structure for the vertical piece that will run along the fence line.

I'm in the process of planning that vertical planting now.
Not sure if the kind of tomatoe plants I can buy here (Rochester, NY) will climb or not? Anyone know?

I also am using an industrial agriculteral product called Rizoboost on every other grid 4x4 as an experiment.
Should be interesting!
Thx,
Steve
Steve Healey

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 5/3/2010, 5:25 pm

Steve Healey wrote:

I'm in the process of planning that vertical planting now.
Not sure if the kind of tomato plants I can buy here (Rochester, NY) will climb or not? Anyone know?

Steve

Steve:

Tomato plants labeled "determinate" are of the bush type and tend to produce fruit for about a 3 week period or a bit longer. Tomato plants labeled "indeterminate" are veining in nature and will continue to grow and produce until frost kills the plant.

God Bless, Ward.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Converting a row garden to SqFt & planning layout & plantings. Empty Climbig Tmatoe Plants

Post  Steve Healey 5/3/2010, 5:40 pm

Thank you Ward!
Steve
Steve Healey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down