Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
hello from the garlic capitol of the world! Toplef10hello from the garlic capitol of the world! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

hello from the garlic capitol of the world! I22gcj10hello from the garlic capitol of the world! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
hello from the garlic capitol of the world! Toplef10hello from the garlic capitol of the world! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

hello from the garlic capitol of the world! I22gcj10hello from the garlic capitol of the world! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

hello from the garlic capitol of the world!

+7
RoOsTeR
Kelejan
camprn
plantoid
Goosegirl
miinva
screech
11 posters

Go down

hello from the garlic capitol of the world! Empty hello from the garlic capitol of the world!

Post  screech 12/25/2011, 4:22 pm

Hello all. I Just moved to Gilroy, Ca (garlic capitol of the world). I moved from a big city apt. to a nice big place out in the country. I am now surrounded by orchards and farm with the constant, sometimes overbearing sent of garlic in the air. I am a begginer at gardening and now that I have some open space I want to try out my green thumb! A friend told me about the square foot method and a quick search on the web leed me here! Great site! the first problem I have found is the soil here. It is HARD packed clay! any suggestions on how to loosen it up a bit? Talk you yall soon!!!
screech

Back to top Go down

hello from the garlic capitol of the world! Empty Re: hello from the garlic capitol of the world!

Post  miinva 12/25/2011, 4:32 pm

That's the beauty of SFG, you don't have to worry about your native soil, you just follow Mel's recipe from the book! I was lazy as heck about my gardens this year and I still managed to get some beans and peppers, not to mention a handful of tomatillos Smile
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

hello from the garlic capitol of the world! Empty very true

Post  screech 12/25/2011, 4:39 pm

I am defenitly going to use Mels plan for the beds. But i would also like to plant some fruit trees around the yard.
screech

Back to top Go down

hello from the garlic capitol of the world! Empty Re: hello from the garlic capitol of the world!

Post  Goosegirl 12/25/2011, 4:58 pm

glad you\'re here glad you\'re here glad you\'re here
I just KNEW you had to be in Gilroy as soon as I read the thread title! When I lived out in CA I always wanted to go to the Gilroy Garlic Festival sometime but just never made it. Now that I am 2000 miles away...................

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/25/2011, 5:39 pm

screech wrote:I am defenitly going to use Mels plan for the beds. But i would also like to plant some fruit trees around the yard.

I live in the Uk slightly different but also a similar problem was overcome by my father .
When I was child many many moons ago I lived in an area where we had very deep clays that had all nutrients but little or no water .

My dad used a pickaxe and shovel to make his fruit tree planting holes some five feet deep and seven feet round ,then backfilled the holes with a mix of well composted manures & veg waste , sharp sand ( coarse grit ) and some of the clay he'd removed . He then dug out a tree planting hole and trod the trees into them , staked the trees & added an 18 inch clay pipe to be just proud of the finished soil level ( for deep watering ).
He then back filled the hole then placed an old thick weighted at the corners hessian corn bags around the tree to keep the moisture in .

He called this idea his " Pit Pots "

We had fantastic plums and apples for years. He dressed the area around each tree in the autumn with a similar composted mix to a depth of 3 inches.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/25/2011, 5:44 pm

GAWD, now I want artichokes! Very Happy Welcome to the SFG Forum! First thing about SFG is the box, second thing is the grid, third and probably most important is you don't use dirt but instead plant your seeds in Mel's Mix; get a hold of a copy of the 2006 book, it will answer so many questions! What a Face

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

hello from the garlic capitol of the world! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/26/2011, 8:10 am

Goosegirl wrote: hello from the garlic capitol of the world! 396615 hello from the garlic capitol of the world! 396615 hello from the garlic capitol of the world! 396615
I just KNEW you had to be in Gilroy as soon as I read the thread title! When I lived out in CA I always wanted to go to the Gilroy Garlic Festival sometime but just never made it. Now that I am 2000 miles away...................

GG

Like you, GG, I also knew as soon as I read the title that it was Gilroy as we had passed through there in the '80s on our way to Pasadena to vist relatives. At that time they had just had the Garlic Festival so the place was pretty quiet. We had a great meal in a family style restaurant that served only one choice, take it or leave it. But just about every local person was there and the meal was delicious, and very inexpensive. Just real home cooking and the people were very friendly. I drew the line at garlic icecream.

Anyway, hello from the garlic capitol of the world! 396615 screech, and do please use Mel's Mix, you will never regret it.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 12/26/2011, 9:15 am

Welcome aboard screech. You have good friends suggesting the Square Foot Garden method! Now pick up the book and you will be on your way Very Happy

hello from the garlic capitol of the world! Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

hello from the garlic capitol of the world! Empty thanks guys!!

Post  screech 12/26/2011, 1:26 pm

Ill pick up the book tomorrow and start putting things together! I am loving it out here in gilroy. I found a mushroom farm out here that gives organic mushroom compost to resedents and im planning to grab a few truckloads and till it in to entire property. I hope it loosens up the clay so maby next year i can make the area around my SFG pretty!
screech

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/26/2011, 2:20 pm

Lucky you to able to the mushroom compost screcch. But please be aware not to overload your compost by using too much of one ingredient.

There are several good threads about composting here so take the time to read up on them and ask questions. You will get tons of knowledgeable answers.Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

hello from the garlic capitol of the world! Empty thanks guys!!

Post  screech 12/26/2011, 2:41 pm

thanks for all the help! im looking foward to giving SFG a try1 ill keep yall posted!
screech

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 12/26/2011, 9:23 pm

screech wrote:Ill pick up the book tomorrow and start putting things together! I am loving it out here in gilroy. I found a mushroom farm out here that gives organic mushroom compost to resedents and im planning to grab a few truckloads and till it in to entire property. I hope it loosens up the clay so maby next year i can make the area around my SFG pretty!

I have a cousin that used to have a mushroom farm in Morgan Hill, just up the road from you! Not sure if he and the family are still running it, as our family tends to get together and catch up about once every 20 years - so not due for an update for at least another 2 or 3 years! rofl
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 12/26/2011, 11:01 pm

My local fabulous nursery told me they only use mushroom compost a few years ago, and now I know why. Ours comes from near Canada, and I've never had such sweet vegetables, or so many healthy ones. Roses, perennials, annuals, and bushes, too.
I have the opposite situation, with all sand and gravel, but it provides wonderful tilth. Sweetest berries ever, too. You'll love it!
Make sure it isn't stinky, but earthy smelling before you plant in it. That indicates that it's 'done.'
j
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 12/27/2011, 2:37 pm

Re: the trees. You could use a version of SFG for them too. A 4X4 higher (1 foot or more) raised structure (say pretty brick, stucco or other attractive wall material) and fill with Mel's Mix. In time, and with worm activity, enough water, and good microbes, by the time the tree works its way into the native part of the soil it should be mellowed somewhat. The raised beds would also allow for more focused watering thus making your watering more efficient.

Although it sounds like you have a lot of space, there is a 'movement' or scheme called Backyard Orchard that recommends keeping trees pruned small so that a person who is caring for trees themselves in a small space with just personal needs to meet can successfully have a large variety in a small space. They might have some good ideas.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 12/29/2011, 4:34 pm

hello from the garlic capitol of the world! 654548 screech

We are glad to have you join us and look forward to hearing about your progress with your SFG. You will find following the ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING method will make your gardening easier, and very productive. Enjoy!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

hello from the garlic capitol of the world! Empty beautifull volunteer flower!

Post  screech 12/30/2011, 2:15 pm

hello from the garlic capitol of the world! 186411_100002285529344_233836595_n

I found this guy next to my back fence. Its a christmas cactus that just bloomed. I took the picture just after a light rain. Best looking flower ive ever seen! I love my new place!
screech

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 12/30/2011, 2:17 pm

Absolutely beautiful, screech! Lucky you!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down