Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What in the world am I going to do now? Toplef10What in the world am I going to do now? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What in the world am I going to do now? I22gcj10What in the world am I going to do now? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What in the world am I going to do now? Toplef10What in the world am I going to do now? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What in the world am I going to do now? I22gcj10What in the world am I going to do now? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What in the world am I going to do now?

+5
nidiyao
camprn
Lavender Debs
happyfrog
dixie
9 posters

Go down

What in the world am I going to do now? Empty What in the world am I going to do now?

Post  dixie 3/31/2010, 9:01 am

What was I thinking? 3 x 72 = 216, right? I've got about 216 tomato plants & almost as many pepper plants. I tried some different varieties this year & I planted 2-3 seeds "just in case" in each cell of a 72 cell container. God blessed & nearly every one of them sprouted & growing strong. I know, I could use scissors & cut all but 1 in each cell, but that's against my nature. I'm going to start repotting them today & I'll probably lose some of them. If nothing happens I'll be begging people to take plants. The old garden spot has been plowed, I guess most of them will go there, will keep about a dozen in my boxes.

Tomatoes:
Opalka
Gold Medal
Isis Candy
Early Cascade
Family heirloom
Red grape
Jerry's German Giant
German Pink
Orange banana
Homestead
Peppers:
Tam Jalapeno
Pepperoncini
Ancho
Emerald Giant
Jalapeno
Cascabella
Serrano
Big dipper
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

What in the world am I going to do now? Empty Re: What in the world am I going to do now?

Post  happyfrog 3/31/2010, 9:16 am

i had a similar problem - solved it by offering on freecycle my 'extras'. i only need/want/desire 2-3 cherry tomatoes and ended up with close to 2 dozen seedlings from the 20cent packet. . . i repotted and kept 6 - gave away the rest. when it's closer to end of may, i will pick the 2-3 biggest, strongest looking plants and will give away the rest again.

it's an idea.

i met some great folks that way who are also into gardening and were most intrigued by my sfg . .. got them thinking about a different way to garden. ..

happy sprouting!

gardening is such a fun and easy hobby! Smile and for the most part, gentle on the budget.
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

What in the world am I going to do now? Empty Re: What in the world am I going to do now?

Post  Lavender Debs 3/31/2010, 9:37 am

A happy dilemma!

I did not start nearly as many as Betty Anne did but I do have far too many and I'm not sure that I have anyplace to till. I want to start replacing my lawn with food but the lawn was rolled in and the plastic netting is still just an inch or so under the sod.

My plan is to either put up a notice by the front walk that I have too many tomato starts and for .50 each they can go home with you OR to have a garage sale and set them out with descriptions.

Deborah ....who didn't think that people in Tomato country grew Cascade.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/31/2010, 9:54 am

Lavender Debs wrote:A happy dilemma!

I did not start nearly as many as Betty Anne did but I do have far too many and I'm not sure that I have anyplace to till. I want to start replacing my lawn with food but the lawn was rolled in and the plastic netting is still just an inch or so under the sod.

My plan is to either put up a notice by the front walk that I have too many tomato starts and for .50 each they can go home with you OR to have a garage sale and set them out with descriptions.

Deborah ....who didn't think that people in Tomato country grew Cascade.
I know I am going to have extra and plan to donate them to my local WIC or Food Pantry.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/31/2010, 10:59 am

Awesome (and duh) camp (are you a nurse?). I give to the food bank but didn't think about giving starts. That is terrific!

Deborah ....wonders why she didn't think of that. Glad you did.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nidiyao 3/31/2010, 11:06 am

Maybe set up tray or two at a local farmer's market saying "free starts", or at the library, or outside your church door. Actually, I love the freecycle idea, I really like to meet local gardeners!'
Sandy
nidiyao
nidiyao

Female Posts : 56

Back to top Go down

What in the world am I going to do now? Empty Freecycle

Post  dixie 3/31/2010, 11:38 am

Thanks, I never heard of Freecycle, but there is a local one & I'll check it out.
dixie
dixie

Back to top Go down

What in the world am I going to do now? Empty tomatoes

Post  dixie 3/31/2010, 5:40 pm

It didn't take as long as I feared & I got all the tomatoes repotted, will tackle the peppers later in the week.
dixie
dixie

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 3/31/2010, 10:06 pm

Deborah - TILL??? didn't you read the rules about this being a family forum? And yet you speak this way in public???

What in the world am I going to do now? Icon_wink
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/31/2010, 10:12 pm

Lavender Debs wrote:Awesome (and duh) camp (are you a nurse?). I give to the food bank but didn't think about giving starts. That is terrific!
Deborah ....wonders why she didn't think of that. Glad you did.
Yup, I'm a nurse. I've been at it for more than 20 years. Goodness, where does the time go? Shocked
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

What in the world am I going to do now? Empty Freecycle

Post  SirTravers 3/31/2010, 10:19 pm

I like the Freecycle idea. I joined my local group and got an armload of irises the other day from a member that was dividing hers out.
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  bullfrogbabe 3/31/2010, 10:44 pm

My friends at work are also into gardening, we swap varieties with each other and give away our spare plants to each other at planting time. I only plant 2-3 spare pots as seed germination is pretty reliably most of the time; I only put 2 seeds per pot and either snip the weak one off or transplant it if it is strong into another pot that didn't germinate. I ask around when I plant seeds to see if others would like some of whatever I am planting, if they do I plant enough extras to share. They do the same in return.

Not everyone has time or lights to start their own plants, so those of that do just share our extras so our coworkers don't need to buy theirs at the nursery.

We also swap seeds with each other, so we can use them up while they're fresh. We all take turns buying the seed! Some co-workers supply the seed and I'll start them some in return.
bullfrogbabe
bullfrogbabe

Female Posts : 189

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 3/31/2010, 10:51 pm

What in the world am I going to do now? Icon_eek Holy cow that's a lot of 'maters! What in the world am I going to do now? Icon_eek

camprn wrote:I know I am going to have extra and plan to donate them to my local WIC or Food Pantry.

That's a cool idea. It reminds me of a few years ago in our area a guy decided he didn't see any use to having a lawn. So he ripped out his front lawn and replaced it all with tomato plants. Then he donated the tomatoes to the food bank.
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down