Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Law of Diminishing Workload (Sunday's Content Post) Toplef10The Law of Diminishing Workload (Sunday's Content Post) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Law of Diminishing Workload (Sunday's Content Post) I22gcj10The Law of Diminishing Workload (Sunday's Content Post) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Law of Diminishing Workload (Sunday's Content Post) Toplef10The Law of Diminishing Workload (Sunday's Content Post) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Law of Diminishing Workload (Sunday's Content Post) I22gcj10The Law of Diminishing Workload (Sunday's Content Post) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The Law of Diminishing Workload (Sunday's Content Post)

3 posters

Go down

The Law of Diminishing Workload (Sunday's Content Post) Empty The Law of Diminishing Workload (Sunday's Content Post)

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 12/18/2011, 10:50 pm

WARNING: THESE ARE GOING TO BE FAIRLY LONG...

We'll see if this idea sticks. It likely won't unless it really sparks discussion or feedback. But, I felt like typing something off the cuff today and felt I would title it such that I could continue weekly.....no guarantees, though.

I was thinking this week about the concept of SFG. And, I'd seen posts of people asking about and/or hesitating putting in the workload up front (not recent posts, just digging through archives). Those of us that have committed to the process know the initial work up front can be extensive. Planning, designing, sizing, buying wood and materials, adding hoops and trellises if that's your thing, planting, mixing Mel's Mix, researching where you can even buy components of MM, bucket measuring, misting/wetting, building and laying the grid, starting a compost pile.....my God the list just goes on....

A lot of those are optional, but you get the point.

I also remembered a "law" from my Economics classes in college. The Law of Diminishing Returns. It simply states that if we load up on one element of our process, we dilute our results. An example relating to SFG, we decide to cram a bunch more seeds than recommended into a square and still water the same, sunlight stays the same, etc. What happens? We get a lower, less satisfactory yield. There is an "inflection point" where we maxx our yield for the minimal amount of work we put in. That's SFG....by the book. Mel did the work for us! We get too technical and question the very methods sometimes.....to our detriment....creating our own Law of Diminishing Returns.

Common gardening also creates the L of DR. However, following the All New Square Foot Gardening book actually creates a whole new law....one that isn't taught in your fancy, 2nd mortgage book-lurnin higher edumacation facilities. I call it the Law of Diminishing Workload.

Sure, the effort is front-loaded. Sure, we are popping Advil like it's going out of style by the end. But, if we commit to the process, we are virtually done. Let me say that again. IF WE COMMIT TO THE PROCESS, WE ARE VIRTUALLY DONE.

Let me explain quickly....

I no longer need to run to the store for fertilizer. I no longer need to apply fertilizer. I no longer need to buy seeds every spring. I no longer need to pick weeds like I used to. I no longer need to go outside everyday to check things. I no longer need to amend my soil. I no longer need to monitor my rain gauge to see if my garden needs water (because it holds moisture). I no longer need to trim back plants that grow outside the garden. I no longer need to till soil in spring. I no longer need to weed rows. I no longer need to manage a football field to get a salad. Again, I could go on.

My point is the work upfront is SO worth it. Just trust Mel. Just trust the work he did for you....the testing he performed years ago. Just trust that his method cuts your workload by 90%. If you dig in and trust the process, you will notice the work up front almost vanishes as time goes on. Just trust....
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

The Law of Diminishing Workload (Sunday's Content Post) Empty Re: The Law of Diminishing Workload (Sunday's Content Post)

Post  ashort 12/18/2011, 11:22 pm

well said BBG
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

The Law of Diminishing Workload (Sunday's Content Post) Empty Re: The Law of Diminishing Workload (Sunday's Content Post)

Post  martha 12/19/2011, 12:11 pm

Excellent post. It is so easy to drift in life. In our restaurant, the cooks start out following the established recipe. But you don't have to read the recipe the 27th time you are making the wild mushroom ravioli. So little by little, the recipe drifts - or the ravioli start to get underfilled or overfilled. No one notices at first....

In discussions about SFG, I sometimes notice the same drift. "Hey, how did we get so off-center?" And, certainly, in my approach to SFG, the same can happen.

Two years ago, I had someone mix the composts etc for me. A lot of topsoil got mixed in. That year, my back was hurt, so I couldn't do it myself. But why didn't I change it this past year to be actual MM instead of MM-wannabe? Because I had drifted. And guess what - maybe it's a coincidence*, but those beds are the ones that have verticulum wilt.

Which results in.....lower yields.

* I believe there are very few coincidences in life.

Thank you, BBG.
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down