Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 Toplef10What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 I22gcj10What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 Toplef10What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 I22gcj10What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget?

+58
MrBooker
OhioGardener
countrynaturals
hammock gal
littlejo
trolleydriver
BeetlesPerSqFt
Suzy
sanderson
Marc Iverson
Escaped Lunatic
Scorpio Rising
yolos
lyndeeloo
AtlantaMarie
Elizabeth
No_Such_Reality
iiiigardener
Lillyz
donnainzone5
JeanneRamick
CapeCoddess
squaredeal
GWN
memart1
rowena___.
Nonna.PapaVino
CCgirl75
sherryeo
gwennifer
shannon1
plantoid
Lavender Debs
staf74
Mamachibi
Kelejan
TN_GARDENER
Goosegirl
walshevak
martha
llama momma
southern gardener
ashort
BackyardBirdGardner
boffer
RoOsTeR
Luci Dawson
Odd Duck
Furbalsmom
camprn
Old Hippie
milaneyjane
acara
Squat_Johnson
SFG in Chicago
Megan
ander217
sfg4uKim
62 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 Empty Re: What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget?

Post  countrynaturals 4/3/2019, 10:11 am

Judy McConnell wrote:The basic unit and an add-on.  Like:
https://www.gardeners.com/buy/stack-n-grow-led-light-system/8595769RS.html#start=1

So, do you absolutely love it? Pics? This $%^ rain actually had me thinking about this, but then I discovered that I wouldn't get it before the rain is almost gone, so I'll make do with what I have for this year, but if this setup is absolutely amazing, I may just have to have one for next winter. Wink
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 Empty Re: What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget?

Post  Judy McConnell 4/3/2019, 11:46 am

Well, I had experience with a wire bookcase-like shelving unit and tied on aquarium lights before. 

This set-up had everything I wanted. The only question I've had about it are the lights strong enough, because the lettuce seedlings developed long stems.  The rest of the plants are doing well, tho.

The reflectors supplied may not be enough, so for the next set of seeds, I'll add foil covering over the lights to focus the light more.

Am I happy with the units - Yes! Very! The expense seems acceptable because one never makes money on backyard gardening - except for the home grown food aspect.
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 4/3/2019, 11:48 am

An addition - Gardeners has frequent discount coupons that might help defray the costs.
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/3/2019, 11:57 am

Judy McConnell wrote:Well, I had experience with a wire bookcase-like shelving unit and tied on aquarium lights before. 

This set-up had everything I wanted. The only question I've had about it are the lights strong enough, because the lettuce seedlings developed long stems.  The rest of the plants are doing well, tho.

The reflectors supplied may not be enough, so for the next set of seeds, I'll add foil covering over the lights to focus the light more.

Am I happy with the units - Yes! Very! The expense seems acceptable because one never makes money on backyard gardening - except for the home grown food aspect.

Thanks, Judy. That's about what I expected.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 Empty bucket

Post  countrynaturals 5/17/2019, 5:44 pm

Katie was cleaning out a shed and asked if I wanted this bucket -- origin unknown. I said yes, but without much enthusiasm -- I just hate to throw anything out that still has some use.

I took the thing home and used it once to water some container plants. WOW! I'M IN LOVE! I love you  This simple design is so much easier to haul around and pour from than a round bucket. Now I'm surprised that there are still round buckets left in the world. This little unsung hero deserves a medal.

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 Bucket10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 Empty Grow Bags

Post  countrynaturals 10/14/2019, 12:18 pm

I need a 5 gal. planter for my Brandywine. It has to come in and out with the weather. Has anyone tried these grow bags? Wadayathink?

Planter Bags
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 10/16/2019, 8:52 am

Tried the 5 gal bags for peppers and discovered they were too small -difficult to keep watered  enough.

Last year had 15 gal bags and used them for indeterminate tomatoes - worked well.
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/16/2019, 10:42 am

Judy McConnell wrote:Tried the 5 gal bags for peppers and discovered they were too small -difficult to keep watered  enough.

Last year had 15 gal bags and used them for indeterminate tomatoes - worked well.
thankyou That's what I needed to know.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 11/27/2019, 4:11 pm

I bought this spudger to repair my Ebook reader. Since that's something I hope I don't have to do very often, I pressed it into service as a transplant tool for sprouts. It seems to work better than a pencil, which is a bit too pointy.

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 C8NpSxu
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/27/2019, 6:06 pm

markqz wrote:I bought this spudger to repair my Ebook reader. Since that's something I hope I don't have to do very often, I pressed it into service as a transplant tool for sprouts. It seems to work better than a pencil, which is a bit too pointy.

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 C8NpSxu
I love it, perfect!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8682

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 12/10/2019, 9:20 pm

I got this at an all-things-Japanese store. It hasn't been as useful as I hoped, but it does come in handy from time to time. Notice I painted the handles to make it easier to find when I'm having an obviously premature senior moment:

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 I746Yjj
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/16/2019, 7:16 pm

Spudger - I learned a new word today. Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 Empty 8 in 1 Wheelbarrow

Post  countrynaturals 2/17/2020, 12:16 pm

For my birthday, I got an 8 in 1 wheelbarrow. Yes, it's everything it's cracked up to be. No, we would never use all 8 features. (Couldn't resist getting a cat in the shot -- that's Hootie.)

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 8in110
The wheelbarrow is narrow, making it easy to navigate. It has 2 wheels, making it easy to balance -- won't tip over.

One of the best features is to use it as a dolly. The little platform has a simple locking mechanism, so it stays put.
What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 8in1b10

What I was excited about was the cargo net and arms for hauling rocks.
What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 8in1c10What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 8in1d10

So, what's the downside? It's just as hard to get from point A to point B as any other wheelbarrow. If your land is smooth and flat, there is no downside. If it's uneven and bumpy, like mine, this wonderful gadget is worthless. I'm back to hauling dirt and compost by the bucketful, and getting one of the guys to haul the rocks for me. Crybaby

Also, the capacity is small, so, for large loads, you'll still need a regular wheelbarrow.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 2/17/2020, 1:42 pm

I have one of these, although I haven't yet used its more esoteric features.

Yes, the capacity is small, around two cubic feet, I'd guess.  Otherwise, it's an incredible gadget!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 2/23/2020, 2:19 pm

If you like these clamps for creating tulle huts, then the cheapest way is direct from China:

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 Xf2pzbv

Guess I should count and make sure there's a 100 ...
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 2/23/2020, 5:23 pm

I generally use binder clips, although in a pinch, I resort to old-style plastic hair roller clips.  They're particularly good for securing frost cloth, bird netting, regular trellis netting, etc. to supporting trellises and branches of plants/trees.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 2/24/2020, 1:24 pm

donnainzone5 wrote:I generally use binder clips, although in a pinch, I resort to old-style plastic hair roller clips.  They're particularly good for securing frost cloth, bird netting, regular trellis netting, etc. to supporting trellises and branches of plants/trees.

These clips have some advantages over binder clips:

• Binder clips for 1/2 PVC require a fair bit of hand strength
  • Binder clips have sharp edges that might tear tulle
  • Binder clips left outside rust
  • Binder clips mostly come in black, rather than attractive colors

The hair roller clips I'm familiar with seem kind of fragile, but they do come in interesting colors! My quick scan on amazon suggests they run around 75c a piece, about 3x what these cost. But of course, if you have a bunch just laying around then that's a different thing Wink
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 2/24/2020, 2:18 pm

Actually, Mark, those hair roller clips usually stay in place pretty well.

I've seen binder clips that come in different colors, although those are usually in small sizes.  I don't really care too much about color, just about funtionality.

I've rarely torn frost cloth or the like with them, although you're correct that the can rust if left outdoors.  The obvious fix is to bring them inside for the winter.  

Here are some other options from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pvc+greenhouse+clips&hvadid=77928017143544&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_3tv59r39jx_e
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/2/2020, 5:47 pm

After all of these years, this is still one of my favorite garden tools. This Dibble belonged to my father, and was probably originally purchased in the 1940's or 1950's. It is made of steel, whereas all of the ones sold today are either wood or plastic, and it has been used so much the point of it is worn off.

Today, I used it to plant 144 sets of Onion plants in 9 squares. I say "sets" because each of the 144 hole had 2 or 3 onion plants in it, for a total of somewhere around 350 plants.

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 9 Dibble10

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/2/2020, 5:56 pm

My favourite gadget is someone who is going to do all the hard that I need done.  Please do not tell him otherwise he might change his mind.  I intend to break him in gently so that it will take a while before he realises what is going on. Laughing
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 4/5/2020, 9:22 am

My newest favorite gardening related gadget is The Easy Sorter Funnel Tray at Harbor Freight. I use it to sort seeds from the chaff and just used it yesterday on Black-eyed Susan and Echinacea dried dead headed flower heads so I can jump start them now. I am hoping to get away with dry cold stratification, here's hoping and a link to what I now call my seed separating tray, notice the opening in one corner, brilliant.

https://www.harborfreight.com/easy-sorter-funnel-tray-37081.html
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/5/2020, 9:32 am

Dan, that is a great idea. Sure would make it easier to put the seeds back in the packets too.

My Fav gadget is SFG - without it, I don't know if I would garden
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9