Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 6 Toplef10What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 6 I22gcj10What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 6 Toplef10What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 6 I22gcj10What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget?

+58
MrBooker
OhioGardener
countrynaturals
hammock gal
littlejo
trolleydriver
BeetlesPerSqFt
Suzy
sanderson
Marc Iverson
Escaped Lunatic
Scorpio Rising
yolos
lyndeeloo
AtlantaMarie
Elizabeth
No_Such_Reality
iiiigardener
Lillyz
donnainzone5
JeanneRamick
CapeCoddess
squaredeal
GWN
memart1
rowena___.
Nonna.PapaVino
CCgirl75
sherryeo
gwennifer
shannon1
plantoid
Lavender Debs
staf74
Mamachibi
Kelejan
TN_GARDENER
Goosegirl
walshevak
martha
llama momma
southern gardener
ashort
BackyardBirdGardner
boffer
RoOsTeR
Luci Dawson
Odd Duck
Furbalsmom
camprn
Old Hippie
milaneyjane
acara
Squat_Johnson
SFG in Chicago
Megan
ander217
sfg4uKim
62 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 6 Empty gadgets

Post  lyndeeloo 4/7/2015, 7:58 am

This is a tough question....how to choose? 
I definitely agree, good knives are a must! 
My KitchenAid stand mixer, I'd be lost without that. 
A variety of sizes of stainless steel stock pots.
Canning jars!!!!! Lots of them. I use them for everything!
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 6 Empty Re: What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget?

Post  camprn 4/7/2015, 11:20 am

Some folks have posted in the past about some really cool gadgets.

What have you got? Time for show and tell. cyclops

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 6 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 6 Empty Re: What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget?

Post  Elizabeth 4/7/2015, 12:04 pm

DITTO the dehydrator and seal-a-meal. 

My DH hunts and fishes.  We make venison jerky in the dehydrator. 

In my humble opinion a seal-a-meal is as necessary as a quality knife and a mandolin.

I would love to have a Kitchen Aid Stand mixer but I really do not do enough baking to justify such an expensive tool.  My SIL bakes a lot.  When they built their home they purchased Kraft Maid cabinets.  She has a cabinet for her mixer with a spring loaded shelf.  She pulls the shelf out of the cabinet, it rises to counter height and locks into place.  She never has to lift her heavy mixer.

We use the blender for smoothies and Margaritas.

I make frequent use of the food processor but want to get a smaller one.  It is frequently just too much trouble to haul out the full sized processor when all I really need is one cup machine.

We have a commercial meat grinder.  We use it to make cat food.  Yes my 2 girls are spoiled rotten.  We feed them raw chicken liver, thighs - meat bone and skin, eggs and an assortment of vitamins and fish oil. 

We also use the grinder to make venison sausage - it has the sausage making attachments.  My DH has to deal with the grinder.  It is too heavy for me to handle.  

My DH has a couple of kitchen toys that he is fond of.  An electric smoker with a remote so he can sit in his recliner and monitor the temperature.  He has smoked all kinds of stuff but my favorites are home made venison sausage, pork tasso and smoked chickens.  I like to have smoked chickens in the freezer for making gumbo.  SOOO much flavor.

2 Christmases ago I gave him an oil less (infrared) turkey fryer.  It runs on LPG.  He has "fried" turkey, chicken, hen and pork roast.  Amazingly delicious!

Miscellaneous kitchen tools that I can not live without -

Vegetable peeler - in addition to peeling vegetables I use it shave cheese
Box grater
Long, hand held grater -  good for grating cheese, nutmeg and ginger
Wooden spoons
Heat resistant spatula
Tongs
Assorted whisk - different sizes for different uses
Measuring devices
Instant read meat thermometer
Large, wood cutting board - I will not use my "pride and joy" knife on anything else.
Commercial quality pepper mill

Cook ware:

A very good set of copper clad stainless
A few pieces of Calphalon
Cast Iron - southern cooks can not live without Cast Iron cook ware.

This thread has forced me to take a look at not only the items I really make use of but all of the other stuff that is rarely used and is taking up much needed space. 

Time to purge.  The older I get the less patience I have with junk.  Unfortunately my DH is some what of a hoarder. Rolling Eyes

I had an eye opening conversation recently with my 2 Sisters.  How many pot holders/oven mitts do you need?  How many hands do you have? How many sets of measuring spoons do you REALLY need? 

As the conversation progressed I realized that I have WAY too much junk cluttering up my very limited storage. Embarassed

Thank you for this thread.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Female Posts : 91

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/7/2015, 2:01 pm

Lyndeeloo!!!!!  THERE you are!  Been wondering about you!

I agree about the Kitchenaid mixer.  I've got one of the BIG ones.  And, yes, sometimes it IS too big.  Then I get out my hand-held...

My Nutribullet or Magicbullet for whipped cream...!

Yes, also our electric smoker.  (Ever tried bacon on a smoker.... HEAVEN in my mouth!)  And my Titan veggie peeler - best peeler I've ever had. 

I'm sure I'll come up w/ some other things too...

Oh!  and my apple peeler/corer!  Can't forget that one.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/7/2015, 2:42 pm

I like my gadgets, especially the ones with "tails", but my favorite are faucets. I love the convenience of a faucet handle. Wella! Water for bathing, cooking, washing and watering.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth 4/7/2015, 6:07 pm

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 6 3170584802   Sanderson. 

My SIL has an LPG cook top - 5 burners including a bridge burner - on her island with a POT FAUCET! 

SOOOO Jealous!
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Female Posts : 91

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/19/2015, 10:58 am

A kitchen sink faucet foot pedal has become one of our kitchen priorities.

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 6 Dscn6111

We've had them in our kitchens for nearly 20 years, so using them has become a sub-conscious habit.  However, the habit comes to the fore-front when we stand in front of a sink without a pedal.  Kinda like getting out of a car with a manual transmission and into an automatic: my left foot keeps reaching for a clutch pedal that's not there!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/19/2015, 3:24 pm

boffer wrote:A kitchen sink faucet foot pedal has become one of our kitchen priorities.

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 6 Dscn6111

We've had them in our kitchens for nearly 20 years, so using them has become a sub-conscious habit.  However, the habit comes to the fore-front when we stand in front of a sink without a pedal.  Kinda like getting out of a car with a manual transmission and into an automatic: my left foot keeps reaching for a clutch pedal that's not there!

I have never heard of a kitchen sink faucet foot pedal.  Where have I been all these years.  I guess it turns the faucet on and off ?????????
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/19/2015, 4:24 pm

I've never heard of one either.

Seems like a neat idea.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/19/2015, 4:29 pm

I love sink foot peddles. Used to have them in the hospital where I worked. Now there are knee water faucet levers too.

https://www.tsbrass.com/products.php?loc_cat=Manual+Faucets&loc_desc=Pedal+Valves&page=0

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 6 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/19/2015, 6:12 pm

Scissors hands down. Iris scissors for thinning seedlings and regular scissors for tons of stuff!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  Escaped Lunatic 8/23/2015, 4:17 am

Back in the USA, I'd have to say my bread machine.

Once I moved here permanently, finding a new bread machine was a challenge.  However, the one kitchen item I found I missed the most was an oven - those are extremely rare in Chinese kitchens.

I finally acquired something that's sort of a toaster oven on steroids.  I think of it as an industrial sized EZ-Bake oven. Very Happy
Escaped Lunatic
Escaped Lunatic

Male Posts : 71

http://www.escapedlunatic.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/23/2015, 5:28 am

Wow an oven is hard to find??? That's as far from American cooking as I could imagine.

I love bread machines. Too much ... I vowed never to get one again. The product they make is so good and takes so little effort. I'd smell that loaf cooking half in agony until it was done, and no matter my plans, would be sorely tempted to eat a big chunk of that hot fragrant bread as soon as it was cool enough to handle, either with butter or just alone by its lovely self. Give me a bread machine and I will gain ten pounds a month indefinitely until my soon and sorry demise.

The Japanese make the best-reviewed and by far the priciest ones. Maybe a problem in China, I don't know.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/23/2015, 9:51 am

Escaped Lunatic wrote:Back in the USA, I'd have to say my bread machine.

Once I moved here permanently, finding a new bread machine was a challenge.  However, the one kitchen item I found I missed the most was an oven - those are extremely rare in Chinese kitchens.

I finally acquired something that's sort of a toaster oven on steroids.  I think of it as an industrial sized EZ-Bake oven. Very Happy

No ovens? How do they bake things?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/23/2015, 10:26 am

EL - can you make an adobe oven?  There are plans available online for free.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Escaped Lunatic 8/24/2015, 7:22 am

Happily, I did get a bread machine early on (a separate tale I should tell with pictures on my website - need to hunt those down).  Ah, found one pic of it.

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 6 BreadMachine

But, what good is fresh bread if you can't occasionally bake some lasagna (something I hadn't done since I was about 12), thus the need for the oven.

Finding an oven at any of the appliance chains or super stores proved useless.  Had to order mine online.

How do Chinese bake things?  For the most part, they don't.  A lot of things we would bake (like bread), they usually steam.  Had quite an argument once over microwaving leftover pizza (Papa Johns - Available in Dongguan since December 2006).  My wife insisted on steaming it.  Much to my surprise, it turned out pretty good.  Now I need to figure out how to create a fresh pizza crust that's steamable.

I've now done French bread pizza (amazingly, Walmart in China carries French bread) in the oven, the microwave, and steamed.  Each method produces a different texture. What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 6 3170584802

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 6 FrenchBreakPizza_Steamed

Adobe oven  I thought about some sort of wood fired oven.  The drawback?  Every scrap of wood or twig that falls gets scooped up by one of the older ladies of the village.  Many of them have wood-fired stoves - some are portable and used in front of the house, others are built in.  I'd have to save up disposable chopsticks for months to be able to cook anything. No

I suppose if I'd gotten really creative, I could have figured out a gas fired one.  Overall, I think I'm happy with my supersized EZ-Bake.

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 6 FrenchBreadPizza_Baked

Once nice thing about the house.  My wife has her Chinese kitchen on the second floor.  I've got a whole separate mostly westernized kitchen for my stuff on the 3rd floor.  The one drawback - she's slowly deciding which of my items she likes and I keep having to buy replacements for things that migrate to her kitchen.
Escaped Lunatic
Escaped Lunatic

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/24/2015, 8:33 am

lol!

"What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine."  That's the rule at our house too!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/24/2015, 12:23 pm

I posted last night but can't find it. What about a solar oven? There is a lot of information on the internet.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Escaped Lunatic 8/25/2015, 6:09 am

I do have an old solar box cooker that somehow ended up getting packed when I moved here.  It's been years since I used it.  Not sure I'd trust the sunshine not to go on holiday while baking lasagna, but it might work out well for pizza.
Escaped Lunatic
Escaped Lunatic

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/12/2016, 5:59 pm

Bump

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Suzy 8/12/2016, 6:26 pm

WonderVeg Vegetable Spirializer

This is my new favorite gadget. I love my pasta, but it doesn't love me. So bring on the zucchini! And carrots! And I'm going to try potatoes & cabbage & broccoli stems.....
Suzy
Suzy

Female Posts : 46

http://www.northernglory.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/12/2016, 6:56 pm

Suzy wrote:WonderVeg Vegetable Spirializer

This is my new favorite gadget. I love my pasta, but it doesn't love me. So bring on the zucchini! And carrots! And I'm going to try potatoes & cabbage & broccoli stems.....
Easy to clean, Suzy?  That is the number one reason I don't own/use many gadgets.  They are fun, but knuckle breaking/scraping/never get clean type of things....Dish!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Suzy 8/12/2016, 8:05 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
Suzy wrote:WonderVeg Vegetable Spirializer

Easy to clean, Suzy?  That is the number one reason I don't own/use many gadgets.  They are fun, but knuckle breaking/scraping/never get clean type of things....Dish!

SO easy to clean. It comes with a tiny "bottle brush" , the blades are in a frame and slide right out. There are no tricky nooks or crannies. Plus it comes with replacement parts!!
Suzy
Suzy

Female Posts : 46

http://www.northernglory.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 8/12/2016, 8:42 pm

I have it too and LOVE it.

LOL I originated this post quite awhile ago. While I STILL love my Clever Cleaver, I'd probably also choose my spiralizer now.

Yes, it IS easy to clean.

I just used it the other day with the flat blade to cut zucchini for refrigerator pickles.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 6 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/12/2016, 9:17 pm

Just got a new Cabela's Commercial 12" Vacuum Sealer. (Other ones bit the dust.)

LOVE it!!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next