Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Garden - Wind Toplef10New Garden - Wind 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Garden - Wind I22gcj10New Garden - Wind 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Garden - Wind Toplef10New Garden - Wind 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Garden - Wind I22gcj10New Garden - Wind 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Today at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 4:10 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New Garden - Wind

5 posters

Go down

New Garden - Wind Empty New Garden - Wind

Post  JK 12/6/2011, 2:16 pm

I am planning to build my first garden using the sqft method. The best place I have for a garden is in a very windy area that is on top of a hill. I have read that mels mix is such a loose soil that it causes some people problems with taller plants such as corn falling over. Is there a fix to this other than heavy duty stakes for each plant?

Also, I am in the deep south in middle Georgia. Getting enough sunshine is no problem... but how much is to much? It can be so hot in the summer it's hard to imagine any plants thriving in the outdoor oven. Course i've never gardened before so maybe thats just a faulty notion on my part.

Btw, If I post questions that have been asked/answered elsewhere I apologize. I dont have internet at the house and I can only spend so much time at work goofing around on the internet Smile
JK

Male Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

New Garden - Wind Empty Re: New Garden - Wind

Post  Kelejan 12/6/2011, 2:42 pm

[quote="JK

Btw, If I post questions that have been asked/answered elsewhere I apologize. I dont have internet at the house and I can only spend so much time at work goofing around on the internet Smile[/quote]

New Garden - Wind 396615 JK and don't apologise for asking about things that have been talked about previously. Always someone here ready to show off their knowledg: even newbies love to share what they have learned. Sometimes it is quicker to ask a direct question than to browse through the threads. When you have time, then that is when you browse.

As to your questions above, I cannot answer them but I am sure someone will help you.New Garden - Wind 61949

ETA: If I had too much windy weather I would not bother to plant corn but concentrate on low-growing plants.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 12/14/2011, 3:28 pm

Hi, JK, and welcome to the forum! glad you\'re here

My garden gets a fair amount of wind, but I don't have the heat you do, nor the sun. My guess is that you'd need a windbreak of some sort, though. I have something that looks like snow fencing (oh, I guess you wouldn't know what that looks like in GA thinking )
Along highways, they erect this bright orange plastic netting that's only about 60% hole, and 40% plastic to keep snow from drifting across the road. I have it in green: ever so much better looking.
There are some Texans and southerners around here somewhere that might know better, if they're not out shopping...... santa
j
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Post  JK 12/16/2011, 1:50 pm

Hehe, your right I can honestly say I have never seen snow netting. I've seen plenty of that orange netting that DOT uses though. I think im going to toss the corn since this will be my first year gardening and give it a try later once I know what I'm doing with the easier stuff Smile.

With high temps and lots of sun is there a point where its better to intentionally plant in a shady area or is to much sun still better than less?
JK

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/16/2011, 4:44 pm

Back in one of my old homes I lived in a 1864 rail crossing gate keepers house perched on top of a manmade railway mound that led to the sidings/ marshalling yards two miles away . We got hit by winds almost every day as we were nigh on 40 feet above the rest of the land which was as flat as a pancake and open pararie style farmed .

My beds at the time were earth based and heavily manured but the solution may be the same or a modified version for ANSFG bed . I planted the corn in stands of 16 ... 4 plants wide by 4 plants deep and knocked six foot stakes in at each row end then wound a nylon line with sections of an old perished 1/2 hose pipe on it around them to make a grid of small squares that were protected on the sides with the old hose to stop plants getting sawn in half by the cord .
Once the plants got to 3 foot 6 high I guided them through the holes and let them grow to harvestable cobs.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/16/2011, 5:10 pm

Small plots of corn are prone to blowing over regardless of what they are planted in. Here's a 8x25 feet corn patch, native soil and compost, that was subjected to just the right combination of rain and wind. The steel framework just happened to be there from another project, to save the day. Despite the lean, the harvest was excellent.

New Garden - Wind 100_1311
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  JK 12/19/2011, 9:30 am

Thats encouraging Smile. I think Im still going to wait on the corn though. Due to the expense of getting started I am probably only going to have one 4x4 to start with, maybe two if I can swing it. Now I just need to decide what to plant in it for the largest yield and biggest variety. To many choices :scratch:
JK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down