Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What about the wind? Toplef10What about the wind? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What about the wind? I22gcj10What about the wind? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What about the wind? Toplef10What about the wind? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What about the wind? I22gcj10What about the wind? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What about the wind?

+5
rmdoogs
choksaw
SirTravers
boffer
colesonsmom
9 posters

Go down

What about the wind? Empty What about the wind?

Post  colesonsmom 3/19/2010, 4:55 pm

Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as protecting my boxes from the wind? Right now the wind is gusting over 40 mph with sustained winds at 25 - 30 mph. Of course it doesn't blow year round (we will be wishing for a breeze come July). The problem is that it tends to blow during the months when my plants will still be young. Any suggestions? All will be appreciated!

~Rhonda
colesonsmom

Female Posts : 12

Back to top Go down

What about the wind? Empty Re: What about the wind?

Post  boffer 3/19/2010, 5:24 pm

Hi,
Yours is a question that doesn't get asked to often; I'm curious too as to the responses. One solution is a windbreak that is appropriate for your area. Another is to make a box cover as described in Mel's new book. Here are some of my boxes that are put to bed for the winter. The light colored hoop one is one example of how to protect your beds.

What about the wind? Winter10

That box is 4 feet wide. The electrical pvc I used was cut to 8.5 feet. If you left the sticks at 10 feet, as they are sold, you could get more height.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

What about the wind? Empty Mulching and windscreens

Post  SirTravers 3/19/2010, 5:36 pm

Tim, boffer, and I have been discussing the different types of mulch lately to keep the precious Mix from blowing away. I've been using that shredded mulch around some of my trees and it seems to stay put in these south plains "breezes." I'm going to try it on my SFG beds also, but I am concerned about the higher (40+mph) days.
I'm thinking that the wire cages that Mel Describes could be covered with the same light colored row cover cloth or perhaps the weed block fabric and double as a sunshade for our hot summer days too. Whatever we use needs to be easy to place, strong enough not to fall into the plants and anchored well enough so it wont blow away.
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

What about the wind? Empty Thanks boffer!

Post  colesonsmom 3/19/2010, 5:38 pm

Thanks for the suggestion boffer. I appreciate the pics too.....oh and the light gray looks great on the ticker!

~Rhonda
colesonsmom

Back to top Go down

What about the wind? Empty Wind and heat

Post  colesonsmom 3/19/2010, 5:43 pm

SirTravers~
I think the idea of the wind protection / sun protection is a good idea. It will need to be anchored down in some way so that it will not blow across the yard like my lawn furniture just did....lol.
colesonsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  choksaw 3/19/2010, 7:59 pm

Im thinking a couple of poles or some 2x4's stuck in the ground then staple gun some shade cloth onto the uprights. it should provide a decent wind break and still allow the sun to penatrate the fabric. just a thought
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

What about the wind? Empty Same Problem

Post  rmdoogs 3/26/2010, 11:00 am

I have been having the same issue with wind at my house too. We are in a new subdivision with very few trees. My garden also sits almost above my lower fence line due to a dramatic drop off in the elevation of our backyard. I have constructed the covering for the plants and it did great with blocking the wind but I have a follow up question:

Are there any long-term effects to leaving the cover on? I am not familiar with a greenhouse design and am not sure if there are any ill effects to my plants for remaining under the protection of the tarp?

I have attached the pictures of my SFGs to give you an idea of what I have done.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks

What about the wind? Imgp1511
rmdoogs

Back to top Go down

Post  jjphoto 3/26/2010, 11:08 am

Aaah another Texan griping about the wind... glad I'm not alone! What about the wind? Icon_lol After years of gardening in this area where the wind blows almost non-stop in Spring I decided the only thing to do was move my garden into an area that had permanent/natural windbreaks.

It's in the corner of my yard where my wood privacy fence acts as two side of the garden, then there's a chainlink fence in the yard that makes the other two sides of the garden. I put honeysuckle on the chainlink to take over and create a natural windbreak.

I've been reluctant to try any type of cloth or plastic because of how intense the wind gets. Couple years ago it took the thick, heavy cover off my gas grill and blew it to who knows where.
jjphoto
jjphoto

Male Posts : 125

http://www.lifewithduchess.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/26/2010, 11:36 am

rmdoogs wrote: I have constructed the covering for the plants and it did great with blocking the wind but I have a follow up question:

Are there any long-term effects to leaving the cover on?

Be sure to provide plenty of ventilation when the sun is shining and it's not cold outside. They heat up quickly. I fried a whole box in one day cause I didn't open the cover in the morning.

Best way to understand what it's like under a covered box is to get in your car. The temps will be similar. Ideally, you want to avoid 90+ temps, as that's when warm crops start to shut down.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  titans01 3/26/2010, 11:49 am

Definately need to vent. My covered one has been running anywhere from 100-122 inside while it's only 40-60 degrees outside.
titans01

Male Posts : 122

http://goodgameme.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

What about the wind? Empty wind

Post  dixie 3/26/2010, 12:29 pm

Everyone's pictures look so good, I'll be glad when the mess is cleaned up around here. I was working on this post & it disappeared, if it shows up twice, forgive me.

DH built the frame for one box this weekend from PVC pipe. He tried wiring it at the top, but kept flipping sideways. He drilled a hole in each piece, slipped a nail through. Hole is larger & nail comes out easy. The skeleton of a frame at the left is for my sugar snaps. I soaked them in water overnight & they are peeking through the mix already.l

When the wind started up earlier, I found a plastic painter's drop cloth & clamped over the frame. Doesn't look great, but works in a pinch. The top is open on both ends where it goes over the frame for ventilation. I have my trays of peppers & tomatoes inside. I only have romaine & cabbage planted so far, they seem very happy.

One thing to fix this weekend - the cat loves her new litter box. We have wire fencing at the barn, so we'll make a cover of some sort for it.

What about the wind? 00910
What about the wind? 00111

What about the wind? 00411
What about the wind? 00711
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 3/26/2010, 1:30 pm

Ahhh the winds of spring in Texas. Poo! Like jjphoto I've got one of my beds running east-west along the north fence. It certainly helps. The wind is either east to west or west to east and it blows long and hard in the spring. My other bed is "out in the open" running north south along side the driveway. I put my trellis on that one. (There's a photo in my gallery if you care to look.) This year When the trellis is covered it acts as a wind break, but by then the winds are over for the year. This year I'm planting a climbing/vining nasturtium that I hope will cover the trellis quickly. We'll see what happens. Once the cukes and cantaloupe start growing, I'll cut the nasturtium back if needed.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

What about the wind? Empty Thanks

Post  rmdoogs 4/8/2010, 7:46 pm

Special thanks to you Dixie. I got the idea of using clamps from your pictures. It has worked out better than I had hoped. I was able to create a half cover to block the wind and still allow ventilation and rain to fall on the garden. Still having some plants destroyed by the wind, but I'm able to minimize the damage. Thanks for everyone's help. I know I'll be begging for a breeze come June and July What about the wind? Icon_smile
rmdoogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down