Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
berries in SFG? (sorry for long post!) Toplef10berries in SFG? (sorry for long post!) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

berries in SFG? (sorry for long post!) I22gcj10berries in SFG? (sorry for long post!) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
berries in SFG? (sorry for long post!) Toplef10berries in SFG? (sorry for long post!) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

berries in SFG? (sorry for long post!) I22gcj10berries in SFG? (sorry for long post!) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

berries in SFG? (sorry for long post!)

2 posters

Go down

berries in SFG? (sorry for long post!) Empty berries in SFG? (sorry for long post!)

Post  Feistywidget 11/15/2011, 6:56 pm

The book only lists one type of berry you can plant in SFG-the strawberry, and it's 3 plants per 4 squares according to the book.

NOTE: With some of the berries I've provided photos, because I know they are not as well known and realize that some may not be familiar with them. Thus, the photos are there for a reference.

I'm wondering if it's possible to grow other types of berries in SFG boxes, and if so how many per square?

Below are the varieties I'm interested in....

raspberry
blackberry
blueberry
grapes (just normal eating grapes, red and green, NOT wine grapes)

also (not sure about these, debating them, but still interested in doing them in SFG)

dewberry (a white berry commonly grown and found in the south; from what I've found out about them, they're very similar to blackberries in flavor and appearance)

boysenberry (this is a cross between a raspberry and a blackberry)

gooseberry (both the normal variety, and the cape gooseberry; the cape gooseberry is also known as the poha berry; the cape gooseberry and regular gooseberry ARE NOT the same berry, they are two different berries)

Also the one other question I have would be what type of soil mixture to use? I know that Mel's mix is a black, fertile, rich, and loamy soil....and it's perfect for veggies.

However just because it's good for veggies, doesn't mean it's suitable for everything. According to this I found about growing berries, this is the type of soil berries in general prefer....

Here are pictures for the boysenberry, dewberry, and gooseberries

http://www.tradewindsfruitstore.com/servlet/the-16/Physalis-peruviana--dsh--Cape/Detail

http://www.gardencrossings.com/plantname/Ribes-Pixwell-Gooseberry

http://www.degroot-inc.com/product_info.php?products_id=725

http://www.burntridgenursery.com/fruitingPlants/index_product.asp?dept=52&parent=30

http://sheltrgroup.com/are-your-kids-sick-try-elderberry-to-soothe-them/

Here is the page link for reference if anybody wants to look at it.

http://www.blueberry.org/gardening.htm

Almost all fruits do best in slightly acidic soil,
somewhere between a PH of 5.5 and 6.5 Blueberries
prefer a soil of even greater acidity of between
4.09 and 5.0

So I'm wondering since berries in general prefer a more acidic soil, will I have to use a different soil mixture besides Mel's Mix?

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, but I know different plants prefer different soil types; what one plant thrives in with a particular soil type, other plants don't do well in at all.

Or, could I just boost the acidity of Mel's mix, so the PH range would be suitable for growing berries? If so, how?

Since most berries send out runners and grow on canes, would you have to trellis them via vertical gardening?

Feistywidget

Location : Boyne City Michigan (gardening zone 5; short growing season....mild and cool climate...hot summers, but much milder than summers in tropical gardening zones)

Back to top Go down

berries in SFG? (sorry for long post!) Empty Re: berries in SFG? (sorry for long post!)

Post  littlejo 11/15/2011, 11:32 pm

I live in the south and know/grow some of the items.

Dewberry-wild, if you could buy a tame dewberry, then 1 per sq? A wild dewberry, as far as I know, will die if cultivated. The ones around here are not white(flowers are white)but are purple.

Blackberry/raspberry- Can be grown,tame ones are thornless. Would take a lot of room, at least 4 sq per plant, this is when they are small, plant can be 6 ft accross.

Blueberry- a bush, prob. about 4 sq. per plant. I've heard that they now have 1 of these that can be grown in a pot!

Grapes- red, blue, green, sweet or sour, you can make wine of all! Also, blackberries make good wine. A vine which should be grown vertically, prob, 1 per 2 squares.

The grapes should be fine in MM.

the blueberries like lots of acidic soil. You could get some organic soil acidifier and add to the mm, or just get some pine needles, chop them and add some to the mm, and mulch heavy with the pine needles.(This last is what I do)

These will work fine, as most growing things will like mm, but these should be a permanant planting. They will grow for many years, but should not be moved yr. to yr.

It's good to have these so you don't have to buy to make pies and jam.

Fruit trees would be good too. I have pears, peaches, plums,apples and sugar plums.

Last edited by littlejo on 11/15/2011, 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : BF)
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down