Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Raised Bed Filler question Toplef10Raised Bed Filler question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Raised Bed Filler question I22gcj10Raised Bed Filler question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Raised Bed Filler question Toplef10Raised Bed Filler question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Raised Bed Filler question I22gcj10Raised Bed Filler question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Raised Bed Filler question

+6
Lindacol
burlingtonbill
choksaw
WardinWake
boffer
Macjim
10 posters

Go down

Raised Bed Filler question Empty Raised Bed Filler question

Post  Macjim 3/18/2010, 12:41 am

I have built a 4 X 8 X 16inch Raided bed. The reason for the 16 inch depth is because I can not get down on my knees or bend way over.

My question is... What should I use as a filler in the bottom. I would need something cheaper to fill in the bottom 10 inches. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Macjim

Back to top Go down

Raised Bed Filler question Empty Re: Raised Bed Filler question

Post  boffer 3/18/2010, 12:54 am

Broken concrete, big rocks, empty coffee cans, old refridgerators, tires,....

then cover them with weedblock or plastic so you don't lose your mels mix
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Raised Bed Filler question Empty Old Refrigerators LOL

Post  Macjim 3/18/2010, 1:02 am

That's pretty funny Smile

I just found in the Square foot book that Mel says to use sand... Is that still the case?

boffer wrote:Broken concrete, big rocks, empty coffee cans, old refridgerators, tires,....

then cover them with weedblock or plastic so you don't lose your mels mix
Macjim

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/18/2010, 1:09 am

The refer was for fun, the rest was for real. There's no reason not to 'lose' stuff in the bottom. I was thinking of cheap/free stuff. Any sand, rock, gravel, dirt will work too if it's more convenient. You probably won't have any different drainage than a box sitting on the ground.

Last edited by boffer on 3/18/2010, 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Raised Bed Filler question Empty Raised Bed Filler question

Post  Macjim 3/18/2010, 1:19 am

Thanks for the help.... Now that I think about it we do have tons of softball size rocks on our back property. I will consider using it.
Macjim

Back to top Go down

Raised Bed Filler question Empty Table Top?

Post  WardinWake 3/18/2010, 9:02 am

Macjim wrote:Thanks for the help.... Now that I think about it we do have tons of softball size rocks on our back property. I will consider using it.

Have you considered putting a bottom in your SFG bed and placing the bed at table top height?
The bottom can be made out of 3/4 inch thick plywood (untreated wood). Drill a 1/4 inch hole for every square foot with an extra hole in each corner. Another way which is my current favorite, as suggested by Boffer, hardware cloth (wire) stapled to the bottom of the bed with cross pieces of wood to keep the the wire from sagging. Line the inside bottom of the bed with weed blocker to hold Mel's Mix in place. The box can then be placed on any stable structure at a height that is easy to work. My TT beds are 36 inches from the ground to the top of the bed. Climbing vegges will still need to be on or near the ground. Let us know what you decide and keep us informed as to your success.

God Bless. Ward.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  Macjim 3/18/2010, 12:04 pm

Hi Ward,
Thanks for the reply...
What we are doing is converting the front yard (Lawn) to raised beds. I have visited some places that have the 16 inch height and they seem to be perfect.

Now another story is my mother...She is 92 and still gardens on the ground. Recently we have discussed her having some raised beds up on legs so that she could easily tend her veggies. These days she does not grow as much... Tomatoes, bush beans, squash, kale and her favorite Chard. I will use your suggestion for the bottom...
Thanks again... Jim

WardinWake wrote:
Macjim wrote:Thanks for the help.... Now that I think about it we do have tons of softball size rocks on our back property. I will consider using it.

Have you considered putting a bottom in your SFG bed and placing the bed at table top height?
The bottom can be made out of 3/4 inch thick plywood (untreated wood). Drill a 1/4 inch hole for every square foot with an extra hole in each corner. Another way which is my current favorite, as suggested by Boffer, hardware cloth (wire) stapled to the bottom of the bed with cross pieces of wood to keep the the wire from sagging. Line the inside bottom of the bed with weed blocker to hold Mel's Mix in place. The box can then be placed on any stable structure at a height that is easy to work. My TT beds are 36 inches from the ground to the top of the bed. Climbing vegges will still need to be on or near the ground. Let us know what you decide and keep us informed as to your success.

God Bless. Ward.
Macjim

Back to top Go down

Post  choksaw 3/18/2010, 12:13 pm

although it may smell a little stop by your local horse farm and see if they need any help cleaning out the stalls i found 1 down here that will let me clean the stalls and take as much used hay (from the stalls) as i want along with all the manure i can use so i kill 2 birds with 1 dyas work, its a bit back breaking, but well worth it. If thats not a plausable solution maybe talk to the rancher or the stable person (i would have said guy but thats not politcaly correct) and see if they will load up some bags or the back of a pick up truck for you might cost a couple $$ but its a win win situation they get some lunch money and you get the materials you need. usualy it all just gets thrown on the compost pile anyway or thrown in the garbage.
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

Raised Bed Filler question Empty new, first post, this topic has been bugging me a long time

Post  burlingtonbill 3/18/2012, 5:32 pm

WardinWake wrote:

God Bless. Ward.

Raised bed is the way I'm going also...I'm building four 4'x4' "boxes" 6" deep using deck "wood" with deck wood slats forming a bottom (no rotting.) But I want these up off the ground at waist height for ease of working them. I've seen various ways of elevating: 1) open space below (raised via 4 4x4 legs); 2) box bottom supported underneath by various means - extra 4x4 cedar legs (sideboards down to the ground hiding what's underneath) or 3) completely-filled dirt pedestals with a liner. The last method seems most secure but would require 48 cu ft of fill dirt for a 3' high box. (Seems like a lot.) Haven't decided which method to use, but am leaning towards #3. Any thoughts?

Bill in KS
burlingtonbill
burlingtonbill

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 3/18/2012, 6:12 pm

Do a search for table tops. There are lots of ideas in several different threads. Here is one:

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t297-building-a-table-top-sfgsome-ideas

I'm 5'7" and the new TT (using a old security door as a base) I just built is 24" at the bottom of the bed with 2x8s for the sides. So the top of the bed is about 32 inches. I can reach across the bed (it is about 30 inches) from one side easily. I think I am going to like that height and plan on putting up to pepper size plants there.

Raised Bed Filler question Ttbed110
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 3/18/2012, 11:00 pm

Lindacol wrote:Do a search for table tops. There are lots of ideas in several different threads. Here is one:

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t297-building-a-table-top-sfgsome-ideas

I'm 5'7" and the new TT (using a old security door as a base) I just built is 24" at the bottom of the bed with 2x8s for the sides. So the top of the bed is about 32 inches. I can reach across the bed (it is about 30 inches) from one side easily. I think I am going to like that height and plan on putting up to pepper size plants there.

Raised Bed Filler question Ttbed110

Gorgeous. My next beds will definitely be table tops.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  B00kemdano 3/18/2012, 11:29 pm

I made a flower box a couple years ago (before I learned about SFG) outside our big picture window. The ground slopes away from the house there, so the flower box ended up being pretty tall - about 3 ft - and it is made of stacked landscape timbers. I didn't want to buy expensive soil to fill the whole thing, so I filled the bottom with the cutoffs from the timbers, rocks from the yard, broken bricks, and compost from my pile. After all that, there's about 6" of bagged topsoil, and another 3" or so of MM that I added this spring, since I learned about SFG.

I think for SFG, it would be better to just not make it so deep, but if you have no choice and have to fill the bottom with something, I'm sure you could get wood cutoffs and broken bricks from any construction or house renovation site.

As a note, the landscape timbers I used for my flower box are treated, because I don't grow any food in there. Don't use treated wood in your veggie boxes.
B00kemdano
B00kemdano

Male Posts : 131

Back to top Go down

Raised Bed Filler question Empty filler for deep DEEP boxes or pots

Post  curio 3/19/2012, 8:28 am

One thing I use for fillers for extremely deep boxes are plastic soda bottles (with the caps on). I just fill it to the level I want it, then put a piece of weed block on top and fill the rest of the way with good soil. This is an especially handy thing to do with large pots that you might need to move about at some point.
I leave the caps on so the bottles don't crush down at all. They just act like hard bubbles.
The plastic doesn't decompose like wood eventually will, and in the case of the pots, is lightweight enough to make it easier to lift or move. This was sort of a take-off on filling the bottoms of pots with styrofoam packing peanuts for drainage and to take up extra space. The bottles are MUCH easier to dispose of if you ever need to dismantle the box or pot (instead of picking all those silly peanuts out of the soil) Shocked
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin 3/19/2012, 1:49 pm

So glad I saw this post! I just posted the same question, what to use to fill the bottom half of my raised garden beds. Thanks to everyone who posted here because you helped answer my question too!

Evelyn
efirvin
efirvin

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum