Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Brand new SFG-what can I plant here? Toplef10Brand new SFG-what can I plant here? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Brand new SFG-what can I plant here? I22gcj10Brand new SFG-what can I plant here? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Brand new SFG-what can I plant here? Toplef10Brand new SFG-what can I plant here? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Brand new SFG-what can I plant here? I22gcj10Brand new SFG-what can I plant here? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Brand new SFG-what can I plant here?

5 posters

Go down

Brand new SFG-what can I plant here? Empty Brand new SFG-what can I plant here?

Post  violentlyserene 9/22/2011, 1:02 pm

My husband and I have just moved into our first house and I'm over the moon at the possibility of a garden for the first time. I did some gardening with my mom when I was a kid but it mostly consisted of picking prolific easy plants by accident and using miracle grow.

My research tells me that there's a bit of wiggle room here in the PNW for plants thanks to our mild weather but I'm having a dreadful time figuring what is reasonable for my conditions and what's reasonable for my experience.

I want to put together either a 2x2 or 2x3 box with a bottom so it's portable but after that it gets muddy.

I'd like to grow garlic, carrots, scallions,and red potatoes for vegetables and then an herb garden as with at least with basil, and rosemary and thyme, oregano, and cilantro (this one I want most of all). I know that rosemary does better in dryer soil than the rest and that mint will try to take over everything so I was planning to put those in their own containers. Other than that, I'm totally lost. I get the basics of SFG and find it totally brilliant. If I could sort out what plants will work where and when, this could go super well for me.

My house is a duplex so I only have 3 sides. There's a side yard facing south that seems to get a lot of sun without many shadows interferring, a backyard facing west with patchy sun and the front yard faces east with reasonably good sun. There's a little brick section that could work work for setting up a small garden area.

While I'd like to keep most of this outdoors, I do have really big windows facing east and west that get good sun for things that won't do well in the conditions here or whatever other reason. I've also got a couple aerogardens for starting seedlings if that would make this venture to be more successful. I'd really love to be able to harvest something over the winter and I suspect it should be possible with the variety of possible locations I have but the logitistics are making me a tad nutty.

Anything you can help with would be hugely appreciated! Thank you.
violentlyserene

Back to top Go down

Brand new SFG-what can I plant here? Empty Re: Brand new SFG-what can I plant here?

Post  Kelejan 9/22/2011, 3:32 pm

Brand new SFG-what can I plant here? 396615 violentlyserene. Just a quick hello to you. I am sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to give advice. I don't knoe enough yet myself and I would not like to give you wrong info. All the best in your new venture.Brand new SFG-what can I plant here? 61949
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Brand new SFG-what can I plant here? Empty Brand new SFG-what can I plant here?

Post  janezee 9/23/2011, 1:00 am

Just a quick hello for now. I'm new here myself, but I live in your region.

Congratulations on your new home. It sounds perfect for gardening and landscaping. I'm jealous that you have so much sun.

For now, I'd suggest that you build your first box and get a garlic head to plant, and shop the sales for some herbs to tide you over the winter. Lemon and French thyme, oregano, and sage have overwintered fine for me here. Lavender, too.

If you're not totally overwhelmed by moving, perhaps the next best thing is to make a list of what you most want to grow, and how many squares you think you will need to accomplish that. You won't be right the first time, but you'll have a general idea how much space you'll want to devote to gardening.
Then guesstimate how much room you'll want for other activities, i.e. barbecuing, croquet, pathways, hammock, etc. You'll be wrong on that, too, in the beginning, but it's good to have a guess. Then it's arranging, just like furniture in the house.

As you might know, tomatoes are not our best crop in this neck of the woods, but they're almost irresistible. Carrots, beets, potatoes, greens, brassicas, and peas and beans thrive here, though.

Hope this helps a little. Don't be overwhelmed, and start with one sure thing. You can always build and prep boxes in the winter here. Good luck!
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Brand new SFG-what can I plant here? Empty Re: Brand new SFG-what can I plant here?

Post  violentlyserene 9/23/2011, 1:30 am

Thank you, that's very helpful. I considered this further and am thinking a 1 x 2-4 box for herbs plus separate containers for rosemary and mint. For the garlic, will that grow outdoors here or will I need to bring it inside or protect it somehow?

It's good that you mention lavender, I was looking at that today and want to give it a shot.

violentlyserene

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 9/23/2011, 5:28 am

violentlyserene wrote:Thank you, that's very helpful. I considered this further and am thinking a 1 x 2-4 box for herbs plus separate containers for rosemary and mint. For the garlic, will that grow outdoors here or will I need to bring it inside or protect it somehow?

It's good that you mention lavender, I was looking at that today and want to give it a shot.

Howdy SereneOne: Check with your local Extension Agent. The Agent should be listed in the phone directory in the Government section. Also check with your local Master Gardeners who are trained by the Washington State AG college. They usually can be found at the Extension Agent's office. The Agent/Master Gardeners may or may not garden the Square Foot Gardening way, but, they will have knowledge on what to plant and when for your area. Also your local plant nursery will have folks on staff that can give advice and will have in season plants and seeds to sell.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/23/2011, 11:53 am

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Looks like you have it figured out: cool weather crops are fairly easy to grow, and warm weather crops can be challenging, depending on whether we have a warm or cool summer. Start out by growing the things you like to eat. Each year, make adjustments as necessary. Be aware that you can do everything perfectly, and some things still won't grow to your satisfaction. That's just part of gardening.

I can't help with herbs.

If you haven't made your Mel's Mix yet, all ingredients can be found at McLendon's Hardware and Nursery Stores. I know for sure that the one on 512 and Canyon Road stocks the coarse vermiculite, which is the perfect stuff.

Happy Gardening
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 9/23/2011, 3:36 pm

violentlyserene wrote:Thank you, that's very helpful. I considered this further and am thinking a 1 x 2-4 box for herbs plus separate containers for rosemary and mint. For the garlic, will that grow outdoors here or will I need to bring it inside or protect it somehow?

I keep my mints in double pots of the same size, above ground, so the that there's about an inch of air between the roots and the ground. Really keeps them from spreading.
I've not had success overwintering rosemary so far, so a protected sunny spot would be good for that. Lavender is a good companion for it. They both like it drier and warmer.

This is my first year growing garlic here in boxes. It needs to be planted next month for harvest next year, spring to summer, depending on the kind. No protection needed at all. We have Skagit Valley Farm Supply out here, which has the best kinds to grow here.

The internet is your best friend for finding out this stuff. Always there when you're awake! This site and so many others. Territorial Seeds and Ed Hume Seeds have lots of regional information to read.

You're gonna have so much fun!
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down