Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
ROI - Return On Investment for Plants Toplef10ROI - Return On Investment for Plants 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

ROI - Return On Investment for Plants I22gcj10ROI - Return On Investment for Plants 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
ROI - Return On Investment for Plants Toplef10ROI - Return On Investment for Plants 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

ROI - Return On Investment for Plants I22gcj10ROI - Return On Investment for Plants 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by sanderson Today at 3:39 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

ROI - Return On Investment for Plants

+4
littlejo
Mamachibi
Lindacol
jkahn2eb
8 posters

Go down

ROI - Return On Investment for Plants Empty ROI - Return On Investment for Plants

Post  jkahn2eb 9/19/2011, 12:54 pm

Gotta love financial planning lingo. I saw a post recently in which the person said they were done planting broccoli because of its low yields (which I concurred) which got me thinking: ROI - Return On Investment for Plants 601593 what plants offer the most bang per plant?

I'm sure it's been done before, but do people want to post which plants gave them the highest yields and lowest yields? I'm still in my first year of SFG so my list is not long... though I've heard one zucchini plant can provide for a neighborhood.

cheers HIGH YIELDS: Siam Queen Basil, Cherry Tomatoes, Swiss Chard
Wink DECENT YIELDS: Diamond Eggplant
pale LOW YIELDS: Broccoli
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

ROI - Return On Investment for Plants Empty Re: ROI - Return On Investment for Plants

Post  Lindacol 9/19/2011, 2:12 pm

jkahn2eb wrote:Gotta love financial planning lingo. I saw a post recently in which the person said they were done planting broccoli because of its low yields (which I concurred) which got me thinking: ROI - Return On Investment for Plants 601593 what plants offer the most bang per plant?

I'm sure it's been done before, but do people want to post which plants gave them the highest yields and lowest yields? I'm still in my first year of SFG so my list is not long... though I've heard one zucchini plant can provide for a neighborhood.

cheers HIGH YIELDS: Siam Queen Basil, Cherry Tomatoes, Swiss Chard
Wink DECENT YIELDS: Diamond Eggplant
pale LOW YIELDS: Broccoli

This is interesting. Not sure if it is exactly what you are looking for.

http://thriftyliving.net/2010/08/20/vegetable-harvest-yields/
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

ROI - Return On Investment for Plants Empty Re: ROI - Return On Investment for Plants

Post  Mamachibi 9/19/2011, 4:56 pm

It's so very hard to calculate this. My tomatoes had a terrible year. I got one red tomato from eight plants, and not a single one from my three cherry tomato plants. It was just too hot to set fruit. Of course, they're setting tons of fruit now, but the days are too short to ripen anything. Will I plant tomatoes next year? You bet, because one of the ROIs is flavor, and nothing in the store can beat my homegrown. I'm betting on this year being a fluke and not a "new normal." I sure could be wrong!

Radishes have a high yield potential, because they have a short growing cycle and can be grown 16 to a square. However, it doesn't make sense for me to grow them in quantity, because I'm the only one who eats them, and I have my limits to how many I can eat in a sitting!

There are also plant variety differences. While regular broccoli makes one head (and possibly some side shoots) and takes so long to mature, there's a variety called "sprouting broccoli" which never forms a solid head. It grows faster and can be succession planted much more easily, making its ROI much higher.
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

ROI - Return On Investment for Plants Empty ROI

Post  littlejo 9/19/2011, 9:43 pm

I think it differs if you are eating the produce or selling it.

Being my first year, I would say that zucchini and eggplant ran neck and neck-we ate so much that I may not plant either next summer!

But, I must stand up for the broccoli! (I love broccoli)

Paid .25 for each plant.

Planted 8 plants, $2.00 invested.

At the grocery a head runs about $3.00 X 8 is $24 minus the $2. that's a profit of $22, then you still have the side shoots(those are free!)

I chose fall to plant the broc. so most of the garden is empty. Broccoli 1 per square, lettuce, radishes, green onions, spinach, planted around the edge of each square, which probably will be eaten before the broccoli is ready.

I guess Brocccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, head collards, make the least food per square, but they are so tasty!
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/19/2011, 10:59 pm

When the bean counters get involved, tomatoes and herbs are typically at the top of the ROI list if the priority is money.

When nutritionists get involved, winter squashes and brassicas lead the list as best return of healthy calories per square foot.

When favorite homegrown foods of the gardener is the focus, tomatoes always lead the list of what should be grown in a limited space.

If you're managing a CSA, weight of harvest per square might be your priority, and...I don't know what veggie produces the greatest harvest weight per square per season...but I'm sure somebody does.

Sweet corn is probably the worst return on everything except the satisfaction of eating it backyard freshly picked.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  jkahn2eb 9/20/2011, 12:26 am

Nice diversity in answers. I dig it (no pun intended).

Littlejo... I will transplant those broccoli seedlings sitting under the lamps. By golly I'll do it.
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 9/20/2011, 2:33 am

Everything in live is all about perspective and relativity, and for most of us no 2 people are ever the same!

I grew corn this year and I made corn relish, ate some and really enjoyed just watching the process!! It was so awesome!

Next year...eh, I'm not so excited to grow corn. I wanna try something else. Shrug. Plant what makes you happy. My garden (this is just me) isn't about money, it's about the joy it brings me. If I eat a veggie or two that tastes good in the process WHOOOPIE! This could all evolve and change over time for me...but for now it's all about fun, learning and joy.

I know I am an odd duck. Some do it for the organic factor, some the savings factor and still others will have other reasons.

All that said I still find this thread valuable and fascinating, because when I read what everyone writes it gives me new ideas and perspectives to process information from! Thanks for posting i hope more people put in their two cents about the plants with the highest yield from their perspective. Smile
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  jkahn2eb 9/20/2011, 9:05 am

I wasn't so much concerned with the financial aspect, it is more about yield. I'm hoping my cantaloupe and honeydew have yields like I think they will... It's still a very young plant but already many more female flowers than my watermelon plant has been producing. They are so cool looking with their rounded little stripes
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 9/20/2011, 1:24 pm

middlemamma wrote: My garden (this is just me) isn't about money, it's about the joy it brings me. If I eat a veggie or two that tastes good in the process WHOOOPIE! This could all evolve and change over time for me...but for now it's all about fun, learning and joy.

I know I am an odd duck. Some do it for the organic factor, some the savings factor and still others will have other reasons.
. Smile

I don't think you're odd, and if you are, I am too. Very Happy I did it for fun, just to see if I could do it. And in the process I found out I could, and that yes, it was fun. So next year I'll do it again (or rather, I'll keep doing it this fall and through the winter into the spring). I'll play around with what I plant just to see how different things turn out - I don't plan on making a living off it or surviving solely off my own garden - I have too many other things to do to devote that much time to it. But it is a nice hobby, and it's even nicer that it's a relatively painless hobby that gets me outside more than I otherwise would be (I have a tendency to sit inside and read all summer!).

So for me, ROI = how much did I enjoy growing it, did I get any yield at all, and did I like the taste. THe only thing I grew this year that I might not grow again is Thai basil - I just don't use enough of it to justify its space in the SFG.
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/21/2011, 1:18 am

I agree with boffer and MM. I love the garden. My blood pressure drops 20 points every time I spend time there.

And it does matter to me which veggies I get the most of. Whatever is ready is eaten and if that is never broccoli well then it is something else. I have had to buy all my veggies this week and it is EXPENSIVE and not likely to get cheaper. So to me it is all gravy. I spent a lot getting my boxes up last year, but almost nothing this year. I think the ROI is a hundredfold easily. (More of an artist than a bean counter - would never make it as an engineer)
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down