Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
September Garden Report - So Cal  Toplef10September Garden Report - So Cal  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

September Garden Report - So Cal  I22gcj10September Garden Report - So Cal  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
September Garden Report - So Cal  Toplef10September Garden Report - So Cal  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

September Garden Report - So Cal  I22gcj10September Garden Report - So Cal  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

September Garden Report - So Cal

5 posters

Go down

September Garden Report - So Cal  Empty September Garden Report - So Cal

Post  Chopper 8/31/2011, 1:29 am

Oh boy. Summer is over planting-wise - almost - and spring is here. For the next few months the cool weather plants take front and center. That said, it looks like it will be Santa Ana-type hot for the next week at least so no need to rush too much.

What to plant for Sept

Last month to plant:

Beans, Bush and Squash, summer

Plant any month of the year:

Beets and Carrots

And first month to plant:

Broccoli

Brussel Sprouts

Leeks

Lettuce

Peas

Spinach

And continue to plant celery this month and next.

Who is in for the year 'round garden???!!!!
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

September Garden Report - So Cal  Empty Re: September Garden Report - So Cal

Post  Chopper 8/31/2011, 3:37 pm

Seriously though, I'd love to know who will continue their gardens thru the winter. I know Roseinarosecity will. Anyone else. And I know Floridians and Hawaiians can, but who else is able to go year round? AZ, NM. TX?

There is something to be said for taking a break from gardening and just planning for the next year, but it is too good to pass up.

Also - who has pictures of their gardens now?

Just ate the last frozen green and yellow beans from last year. Grew SO many last year I did not bother this year - that coupled with other issues - so was glad to have them. They were GOOD.

And if you did not see the Modesto post - if you have an overabundance of tomatoes and a limited amount of time, you might consider drying them. If you dry and then powder them in a blender they are extremely tasty and the equivalent on tomato sauce. Can be jarred or frozen in baggies.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 8/31/2011, 4:46 pm

I plan on continuing thru the winter. I have garlic ordered and just started some delecata squash, plus will be planting carrots, lettuce, broccoli. No broccoli starts available here but I have seeds. Corn will finish up in a week or so. Tomatoes & bell peppers still producing. I still have some celery but will not be replanting it - it never tasted good. Cucs & beans have petered out. There is still some squash, carrots & green onions to be pulled. The holely kale will be fed to the goats.

I have one pallet bin of finished compost waiting and one cooking.

I saw the Modesto post and really want a dehydrater but can't afford $200. Has anybody used this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-American-FD-80-Square-Shaped-Dehydrator/dp/B00179DCCQ/ref=pd_sbs_k_1

I don't have a lot of counter space in the kitchen. Would it work if I set it up in the garage?

Might have to ask for one for christmas.

Will try to get new pictures later today.

Linda
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 8/31/2011, 5:17 pm

Yes it will work in the garage. Anywhere. And it is a set up - take down and store again type ot thing. A tv tray would do. Look on craigslist.com and see if there are any out there for sale.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

September Garden Report - So Cal  Empty Modesto Post Link

Post  No_Such_Reality 8/31/2011, 5:50 pm

Lindacol wrote:I saw the Modesto post and really want a dehydrater but can't afford $200. Has anybody used this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-American-FD-80-Square-Shaped-Dehydrator/dp/B00179DCCQ/ref=pd_sbs_k_1

I haven't seen the modesto post. Can someone post a link? I searched using tomato, modesto and drying and wildly varying combos, but I either got too many pages or virtually nothing and nothing that looked like it was a post about making dehydrated tomato sauce.

However, I do have the Nesco dehydrator. And a small bag of tomatos from the father-in-law who has more tomatoes than they can can at the moment.

So I'd love to try out this dry the tomato, make tomato powder and use as appropriate thing. Visions of instant home made marinara dancing in my head or instant pizza sauce for home made pizza.

As for the Nesco, I bought it for beef jerky. It makes wonderful beef jerky.

Should be no problem in the garage or on the counter and it does have directions for drying fruit.

So post a link to the Modesto post and I'll give it a test drive.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 8/31/2011, 7:21 pm

No_Such_Reality wrote:
Lindacol wrote:I saw the Modesto post and really want a dehydrater but can't afford $200. Has anybody used this one?

I haven't seen the modesto post. Can someone post a link? I searched using tomato, modesto and drying and wildly varying combos, but I either got too many pages or virtually nothing and nothing that looked like it was a post about making dehydrated tomato sauce.

However, I do have the Nesco dehydrator. And a small bag of tomatos from the father-in-law who has more tomatoes than they can can at the moment.

So I'd love to try out this dry the tomato, make tomato powder and use as appropriate thing. Visions of instant home made marinara dancing in my head or instant pizza sauce for home made pizza.

As for the Nesco, I bought it for beef jerky. It makes wonderful beef jerky.

Should be no problem in the garage or on the counter and it does have directions for drying fruit.

So post a link to the Modesto post and I'll give it a test drive.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t2996p165-modesto-central-valley-ca#81928
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

September Garden Report - So Cal  Empty Today's garden pictures

Post  Lindacol 9/1/2011, 1:38 am

Here are pictures taken this evening.

South side of 4x8 bed with basil & corn in front. Behind the basil bell peppers, then pole beans & cucs can be seen. September Garden Report - So Cal  Garden11

In this picture from the east, corn with orange bells behind it, then kale, climbing bush beans and tomatoes. Behind the kale is a sweet potato, celery, green onions & carrots. September Garden Report - So Cal  Garden12

From the north it is all tomatoes, behind them in the middle is green onions, carrots & celery. September Garden Report - So Cal  Garden13

In the tub is a sweet potato and delicata squash, replacing a tom that died.September Garden Report - So Cal  Garden14

Trellis with spaghetti squash & trombocino zuchini. They took off on the ground when I was gone for about 2 weeks and had already rooted several places so I just left them. They are wandering to the right.September Garden Report - So Cal  Squash10
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/1/2011, 5:26 am

Wow. I know the first year I did this I was shocked at the shear volume of plants and I can see that in your garden too. Looks great. I love growing sweet potatoes. I have a 2X2 bed with a volunteer sweet potato and a zucchini also. I am thinking one of them might not make it. I guess we will both find out. Very Happy
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  barmstr 9/6/2011, 10:03 pm

I hate to say this but my garden was a bust this year. My neighbor had the same problem. Hardly anything grew. My problem was I put in new beds but DID NOT USE MEL'S MIX. Nursery talked me into something else. What a waste. I'm going to take all the beds down to bare ground this fall, build new beds and raise them 30 inches off the ground. I have two dogs that raid the veggies that are there and eat to their delight. The tomatoes will have to be fenced in. All of the ground based veggies will be in ground that has horse and chicken poop added as will as other admendment. A lot of work but have to get it done so I have a great crop nest year.

The best growing veggies were my Jalapeno peppers I grew in my Earthtainers.

A new challenge and a way of getting more exercise.

Bruce Smile
barmstr
barmstr

Male Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma 9/7/2011, 2:10 pm

Chopper wrote:Seriously though, I'd love to know who will continue their gardens thru the winter. I know Roseinarosecity will. Anyone else. And I know Floridians and Hawaiians can, but who else is able to go year round? AZ, NM. TX?

And if you did not see the Modesto post - if you have an overabundance of tomatoes and a limited amount of time, you might consider drying them. If you dry and then powder them in a blender they are extremely tasty and the equivalent on tomato sauce. Can be jarred or frozen in baggies.

Wow, how did I miss this?! Chopper, you can be sure the Apollo gardeners will be gardening year round...we started last Aug 1st, a year ago...and the gardens have been producing every month!

As for the dehydrator...we have the biggest one because my husband is nuts...he loves to do things in a BIG way...hey, take a look at the Modesto Central Valley thread ( https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t2996-modesto-central-valley-ca ) and you'll see what I mean! Anyway, our dehydrator sits on the dryer in our laundry room and works very nicely right there. The outlet is nearby for the washing machine and that's on a separate circuit so I don't have to worry about using to many things at one time. Here in our mobile home park the electricity was set up in the late 1970s and wasn't geared for all the "new fangled" things we have...computers, printers, microwave ovens, etc, etc...that we can't seem to do without! Anyway, the dehydrator works well and all is fine until we forget to put the trays back INSIDE the machine and just stack them on top...and then use the washing machine next to it...the spin cycle tends to vibrate the trays off, and of course they fall BEHIND the dryer! One of these days we might learn...ya think?? Rolling Eyes
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Female Posts : 297
Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/9/2011, 12:48 pm

barmstr wrote:I hate to say this but my garden was a bust this year. My neighbor had the same problem. Hardly anything grew. My problem was I put in new beds but DID NOT USE MEL'S MIX.
Bruce Smile

Are you like me and can't seem to learn anything except the hard way? Well, saved money on a gym one more year while you tackle rebuilding everything. Very Happy
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/9/2011, 12:49 pm

PNG_Grandma wrote:! Anyway, the dehydrator works well and all is fine until we forget to put the trays back INSIDE the machine and just stack them on top...and then use the washing machine next to it...the spin cycle tends to vibrate the trays off, and of course they fall BEHIND the dryer! One of these days we might learn...ya think?? Rolling Eyes

lol!
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down