Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare? Toplef10HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare? I22gcj10HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare? Toplef10HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare? I22gcj10HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare?

+9
Chopper
middlemamma
Dunkinjean
Patty from Yorktown
sherryeo
camprn
Furbalsmom
Kelejan
sfg4uKim
13 posters

Go down

HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare? Empty HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare?

Post  sfg4uKim 8/28/2011, 10:47 am

Hey Everyone:

I never lost power here in MD, but I lost a HUGE Bradford Pear (it was past it's prime anyway). Thankfully it fell AWAY from the house & shed, but it crushed my SFG! Sad

Whatever veggies might have survived will probably be lost since we won't be able to get to them for a few days.

We found out that when they installed our ductless a/c, they put the metal flashing tilted inward at the bottom, so rain came in where the house meets the garage. Luckily my roofer is a friend who lives across the street.

All-in-all things went pretty well and we're all safe & sound.

PLEASE everyone - check in when you can.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare? Empty Re: HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare?

Post  Kelejan 8/28/2011, 2:11 pm

You may be surprised at what you can salvage. Let's hope it is quite a bit.

I guess the MM will survive anyway. Hope you can get on track with fall planinting if not then next spring.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare? Empty Re: HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare?

Post  Furbalsmom 8/28/2011, 4:57 pm

Kim, glad everyone is safe. How did your Mom handle the storm? Hope it was not too stressful for her. HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare? 993580

Hopefully, when you do get the tree out of the way, some of your garden will have survived.

Take care.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 8/28/2011, 7:09 pm

LOL Mom (and the rest of us) slept right through it.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare? Empty The bridge is GONE!

Post  camprn 8/28/2011, 8:30 pm

Barttonsville Vermont
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2095508065389&comments
so, now you can't get there from here.

Last edited by camprn on 8/28/2011, 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 8/28/2011, 8:35 pm

Awwwww, what a shame! An historic covered bridge! I'm so sorry, camprn! Hurricanes sure have a terrible way of changing the scenery forever!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 8/28/2011, 9:09 pm

We fared well. It seems that this storm was not as bad, as our last Hurricane (Isabel.) We got a lot of wind and rain, but no damage to our property. Several neighbors were not as lucky. We will all be doing yard work for a few days. You can tell who left town and who stayed by the piles of sticks in front of folks homes. Our pile is growing. My garden seems to be alright. The only casualty was my red wooden ladder. I tried to lay it down before the storm and it fell apart. Not much to fuss about.

Patty in Yorktown Virginia
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/28/2011, 9:20 pm

Quechee bridge is gone too.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 8/28/2011, 10:21 pm

It is so sad when historic covered bridges and other landmarks are gone, but when they are also actively used for daily access, it is even more disturbing.

Thank you for sharing these two videos. My heart goes out to you and your neighbors.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 8/29/2011, 1:46 am

Hi everyone

Unfortunately we were hit hard in our area. We got 5' of water in our basement and a couple of inches covering a whole backyard. Sad We have been pumping water from both areas since early morning. Luckily we have fantastic neighbors that bought over extra sump pumps to use. We have 3 pumping in the basement and 2 in the backyard. The fire dept. came and shut off our gas. Luckily we have electricity. The hard part will be cleaning out the basement since we lost just about everything that was stored there; furnace, hot water heater, standup freezer (filled with frozen meats, veg's, fruits), fridge, sink, tools, food on shelves, clothing, washer and dryer, ping pong table, pool table, sump pump that broke, and other items. I guess it could be worse! At least our house above the basement is dry....

Our floating freezer

HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare? Irene_11

Shed in backyard

HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare? Irene_12

Basement showing ping pong table with tablecloth - water rose above it

HURRICANE AFTERMATH - How did you fare? Irene_13
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 8/29/2011, 1:59 am

Thinking of everyone affected.

My heart goes out to you all...I don't even have any good words to say.

I am glad you all are safe and so sorry for your losses.
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 8/29/2011, 4:03 am

Mel says you can't water an SFG too much. I guess this will be the acid test. Good luck esp you Philly thru Vermont people who seem to be having serious saturation problems.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 8/29/2011, 8:44 am

Dunkinjean wrote:Hi everyone

Unfortunately we were hit hard in our area. We got 5' of water in our basement and a couple of inches covering a whole backyard. Sad We have been pumping water from both areas since early morning. Luckily we have fantastic neighbors that bought over extra sump pumps to use. We have 3 pumping in the basement and 2 in the backyard. The fire dept. came and shut off our gas. Luckily we have electricity. The hard part will be cleaning out the basement since we lost just about everything that was stored there; furnace, hot water heater, standup freezer (filled with frozen meats, veg's, fruits), fridge, sink, tools, food on shelves, clothing, washer and dryer, ping pong table, pool table, sump pump that broke, and other items. I guess it could be worse! At least our house above the basement is dry....

Aggravating, irritating, and disheartening, BUT glad to hear that the top of the house is dry and you are safe!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 8/29/2011, 11:10 am

I lost power some time between 2:30 and 4:15 am Sunday morning, and it's not on yet. I've got about 3 inches of water in my basement and no way to pump it out. Sad I'm relatively new to the area so I don't really know my neighbors well to see if someone's got a generator.

Flood waters reached within half a block of my house, literally. A tributary of the Raritan that runs through my town flooded, sending water several feet high right through the middle of town, into the post office, and I suspect up to our electricity substation. Our town has its own electric, unfortunately, which means I can't even find out how long it's going to be before I have power (their offices seem to be closed, and they don't even have an automated message going with any updates).

Everything except the tomatoes seem to be just fine in my SFG. The trellis came down, and yesterday I had to cut all the trellis netting and cut off several branches on the tomato plants just to get everything upright again. But I think some of the two plants that were in the SFG will survive. I also have another plant of each variety in a pot that I brought onto the porch before the storm, so I think I'll still get my tomatoes this year. Smile
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 8/29/2011, 11:18 am

Oh, Dunkinjean, my heart goes out to you, too. I hope everything is fixable and that you'll get things back as they should be soon. Thank goodness that your loved ones are safe, though. Disasters like this really have a way of making you realize what is most important in life! Take care and keep us informed as to how things go for you! Good thoughts and prayers headed your way!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 8/29/2011, 11:19 am

I'm so sorry for the loss due to flooding, but glad everyone is okay.

When I was a kid we would drive around and check out any covered bridges in our area, and when we lived in Mahomet IL, we would at least once a week take a drive to a bridge there, just so dad could honk his horn, turn around, and go back through. On of many things on my bucket list is to tour the country and see covered bridges.... So sad to see them go.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 8/29/2011, 11:20 am

Dunkinjean - I'm so glad I didn't really have much in my basement, and what little I did I was able to get off the floor (other than the washer, dryer, and then the fixtures like the water heater, heater/ac). I'm glad you didn't lose power and have neighbors who can help. Good luck getting everything back in order.
moswell
moswell

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 8/29/2011, 9:26 pm

Thank you everyone for your kind words and well wishes!

Today most of the water is out except for large puddles which Hubby is using a wet/dry vacumn. Many people have it alot worse than us.

The good news - my SFG survived Hurricane Irene!! Laughing
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 8/30/2011, 12:21 pm

Dunkinjean and Moswell,

Nice to hear that everyone is ok.

These disasters leave so much devastation behind and I am happy that you both are recovering from the flooding. Disheartening, yes. Overwhelming, at times. But, you will be able to get back to normal.

Good thoughts going out for both of you and everyone else effected.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 8/30/2011, 2:29 pm

Thanks everyone. The town's website says they're "anticipating" power return by Friday. I'm not holding my breath, but that's something. . .
moswell
moswell

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 9/1/2011, 9:54 am

Well I still don't have power, but at least I have hot water again. A plumber came by and emptied out my basement, then relit the pilot light on my hot water heater. My town is saying they're going to try to turn on power section by section starting tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed!
moswell
moswell

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 9/2/2011, 9:11 am

Hallelujah - I have power. Smile It's so wonderful I want to turn on every light in the house!
moswell
moswell

Back to top Go down

Post  Denese 9/2/2011, 9:15 am

moswell wrote:

Hallelujah - I have power. Smile It's so wonderful I want to turn on every light in the house!

YAY!! bounce
Denese
Denese

Female Posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/2/2011, 3:40 pm

Good for you, moswell. The one wire is so important in lives, and so fragile.

Enjoy your refound power.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down