Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Vermiculite in Greater Seattle Area Toplef10Vermiculite in Greater Seattle Area 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Vermiculite in Greater Seattle Area I22gcj10Vermiculite in Greater Seattle Area 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Vermiculite in Greater Seattle Area Toplef10Vermiculite in Greater Seattle Area 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Vermiculite in Greater Seattle Area I22gcj10Vermiculite in Greater Seattle Area 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Vermiculite in Greater Seattle Area

3 posters

Go down

Vermiculite in Greater Seattle Area Empty Vermiculite in Greater Seattle Area

Post  SeattleAreaSQFT 3/29/2010, 10:25 am

Try McLendons Hardware (Sumner, Renton, Kent, Puyallup, White Center, Woodinville). I picked up 3.5 cu ft bag size for $27.00. Also, some feed stores can get it for you.
SeattleAreaSQFT

Back to top Go down

Vermiculite in Greater Seattle Area Empty Re: Vermiculite in Greater Seattle Area

Post  Lavender Debs 3/29/2010, 10:30 am

Thanks Seattle! How fun to see another rainy side gardener! Have you been doing this a while?

Deborah ....who thinks urban Seattle gardens are amazing
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Vermiculite in Greater Seattle Area Empty Re: Vermiculite in Greater Seattle Area

Post  SeattleAreaSQFT 3/29/2010, 10:49 am

Hi Lavender Debs,
No, I got the book last fall and thought I would try it as didn't enjoy tilling, planting and caring for a big area garden. I built my boxes yesterday morning before the rain hit, then was scurrying around to find components for my mix. After reading the forum, it seemed like vermiculite would be an issue. I was happy to find it so readily available. I have no idea if the price is "right." I am struggling more with five different type/brands of compost. Some of the blends at the stores contain additives of dolomite and lime, and I'm not sure if I am supposed to use those? Any idea?

The wind came up yesterday while I was trying to lay down my weed block so I simply stapled my weed block to the frame of my box.

How long have you been doing SFG?

BTW, I live in S. King County.
SeattleAreaSQFT

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/29/2010, 10:55 am

Hi sasfg,
Welcome to the forum. It's raining cats and dogs here in Thurston county, might be coming your way!

I'm going to move this thread to the PNW regional forum, since there's only the three of us who know what we're talking about!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/29/2010, 11:00 am

I've had good luck finding compost at McL Steer manure, chicken manure, mushroom compost, and something called 'compost'! I love their stores!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Vermiculite in Greater Seattle Area Empty PNW forum & compost

Post  SeattleAreaSQFT 3/29/2010, 11:09 am

hey boffer, thx for pointing out the PNW forum. I'm new to this and didn't even realize there was a regional forum ~ that's great!

yup, I did check out the compost @ McL and will go back and get some, but I wondered about their blend that has dolomite lime added to it. Is that ok to use in Mel's mix? Or should I just stay away from that particular compost?
SeattleAreaSQFT

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/29/2010, 11:20 am

This is my first year too, but I've dabbled in gardens before so it isn't a whole new world. I love learning, so I am having a great time with this.

For my first box, which I started in late February, I was lucky enough to have an abundant supply of home-grown compost. I did not garden last year (new puppy) but kept adding to my compost bins. That worked out for me. Now for my 2nd box which I JUST got supplies for I don't have a lot of ripe compost so I went on the hunt. I am trying to live in Everett instead of just sleeping here. My son took me to Lowe's and I scored a bag of steer poo for 98 cents a bag. I also got a bag of their organic brand of compost for under $4.00 and 4 cubic feet of peat for $8.00. We went to Marysville for vermiculite ($26.00) and ended our trip at Sunnyside Nursery (between Marysville and Lake Stevens) where I paid “struggling in this economy” nursery prices for a compost that included bat guano, alfalfa meal, kelp meal and rock phosphate along with a few other goodies for @$8.00 and a bag of worm castings ($7.00?). I am going to mix those with a few shovel full’s of my green compost and see what happens.

I still need to get my box put together.

Deborah ....rooting for you!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/29/2010, 11:25 am

SeattleAreaSQFT wrote:snip ...yup, I did check out the compost @ McL and will go back and get some, but I wondered about their blend that has dolomite lime added to it. Is that ok to use in Mel's mix? Or should I just stay away from that particular compost?
D Lime is added to balance PH. It should be fine for your veggies.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  SeattleAreaSQFT 3/29/2010, 11:37 am

Well it will be fun to compare notes to see how we do in our first yr of SFG. I am getting a late start so will be struggling with peas/radishes :-( However, I may still put them in if I get my boxes filled this week. Well, i am out the door. Have a good day & thanks for the support!
SeattleAreaSQFT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down