Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Best place to buy vermiculite, peat moss, and compost in the Portland, Oregon metro area. Toplef10Best place to buy vermiculite, peat moss, and compost in the Portland, Oregon metro area. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Best place to buy vermiculite, peat moss, and compost in the Portland, Oregon metro area. I22gcj10Best place to buy vermiculite, peat moss, and compost in the Portland, Oregon metro area. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Best place to buy vermiculite, peat moss, and compost in the Portland, Oregon metro area. Toplef10Best place to buy vermiculite, peat moss, and compost in the Portland, Oregon metro area. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Best place to buy vermiculite, peat moss, and compost in the Portland, Oregon metro area. I22gcj10Best place to buy vermiculite, peat moss, and compost in the Portland, Oregon metro area. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Best place to buy vermiculite, peat moss, and compost in the Portland, Oregon metro area.

5 posters

Go down

Best place to buy vermiculite, peat moss, and compost in the Portland, Oregon metro area. Empty Best place to buy vermiculite, peat moss, and compost in the Portland, Oregon metro area.

Post  mjohn56 3/21/2011, 2:33 pm

I am new to SFG and am seeking the best sources and prices for coarse vermiculite, peat moss, and a variety of composts. Our garden boxes will exceed 100 cubic feet, total. Therefore, we are looking for at least 30 cubic feet of each substance. Thanks in advance for any help.
mjohn56

Back to top Go down

Best place to buy vermiculite, peat moss, and compost in the Portland, Oregon metro area. Empty Re: Best place to buy vermiculite, peat moss, and compost in the Portland, Oregon metro area.

Post  Furbalsmom 3/21/2011, 8:57 pm

Mjohn,

Check our Vermiculite Data Base
Verm Data Base

These listings are in State Order, and most info is from last year, so I would give them a call and make sure they still carry Vermiculite and what their current prices are.

We also have a few other members in the Portland area, so they may be able to clue you in on other retailers.

If anyone finds new retailers or updated information on exisiting retailers, please go to Verm Entry and update your info on the button that says US FORM. This gives us one central location to find retailers in our own area. Thanks for everyone's participation.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Best place to buy vermiculite, peat moss, and compost in the Portland, Oregon metro area. Empty Re: Best place to buy vermiculite, peat moss, and compost in the Portland, Oregon metro area.

Post  Furbalsmom 3/21/2011, 9:04 pm

Best place to buy vermiculite, peat moss, and compost in the Portland, Oregon metro area. 654548 Mjohn Best place to buy vermiculite, peat moss, and compost in the Portland, Oregon metro area. 654548

I'm sorry I missed saying hello and welcome in my first post. Very glad to "meet" you. It is nice to have new members in Oregon. I am on the Southern OR Coast and love it here.

Wow! that is a lot of Mel's Mix. You don't start out small do you? Hopefully some of the members in your immediate area can hook you up with local merchants that carry vermiculite, peat moss and several varieties of compost.

If you have questions, please ask, there are lots of members that would be glad to help you out. Please keep us updated on your progress and please, share pictures, we love them.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr.Bigfoot 3/21/2011, 10:12 pm

I checked around with different stores and found the prices to be pretty consistent. I got my peat moss and vermiculite from Al's garden center in Sherwood. They had the large bales and small bales of peat moss. The vermiculite is the most expensive part of this mix, it seems. I ended up getting the mushroom compost from Al's, then went to the garden store on 99 in tigard (Gardener's supply or Friend, can't remember the name) and got some compost there, then pretty much just went to Home depot since they had a variety but not sure if I truly got 5 different composts. We'll see what happens once the veggies are all in the beds.
Dr.Bigfoot

Back to top Go down

Best place to buy vermiculite, peat moss, and compost in the Portland, Oregon metro area. Empty Thank you all, for responding.

Post  mjohn56 3/22/2011, 1:05 pm

Thanks to each of you for responding. It's great to be part of this SFG community. We probably won't' install all of the boxes at first, but if volume purchasing gets a better price, we may buy in volume.

Have a great day, each of you.
mjohn56

Back to top Go down

Post  laurieann 3/23/2011, 1:15 am

mjohn, what part of the Portland metro area are you looking? East side or west side? If west, Northwest Environmental in Cornelius has a phenomenal compost mix that you can buy in bulk quite reasonably. Best Buy Landscape off of Cornelius Pass in Hillsboro has a variety of composts and delivers all over.
laurieann
laurieann

Female Posts : 18

http://pfleegspfolly.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Best place to buy vermiculite, peat moss, and compost in the Portland, Oregon metro area. Empty Thanks for the tip.

Post  mjohn56 3/23/2011, 4:22 am

Laurieann, Thank you for the tip about Cornelius. I will check with them. I live in Vancouver, WA and work in NE Portland, but if they deliver, that may be a big help.
Thanks again.
mjohn56

Back to top Go down

Post  laurieann 3/23/2011, 10:19 am

I don't know that Cornelius would deliver that far, as they are a smaller operation. Best Buy delivers all over, and even have double trailers for bigger orders. Although, I imagine you've got lots closer to Vancouver than either of these. Might want to ask local nurseries for recommendations.
laurieann
laurieann

Female Posts : 18

http://pfleegspfolly.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Best place to buy vermiculite, peat moss, and compost in the Portland, Oregon metro area. Empty Best place to find soil amendments in Portland (Or)

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 3/30/2011, 5:31 pm

Just learned through One Green World that Concentrates (2613 SE 8th Avenue, Portland, OR 97202—phone 503.234.7501—toll free: 800.388.4870) has lots of organic soil amendments in Portland. Here's their website: http://www.concentratesnw.com/ Anyone out there with experience with this company? I have confidence in One Green World, which is a wonderful nursery (their website: http://www.onegreenworld.com/ WARNING: looking at their catalog, or visiting their nursery can seriously deplete your wallet, but you'll have wonderful fruit trees/shrubs for your garden or edible landscape.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down