Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
East Coast Earthquake, How are our SFGer's Toplef10East Coast Earthquake, How are our SFGer's 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

East Coast Earthquake, How are our SFGer's I22gcj10East Coast Earthquake, How are our SFGer's 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
East Coast Earthquake, How are our SFGer's Toplef10East Coast Earthquake, How are our SFGer's 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

East Coast Earthquake, How are our SFGer's I22gcj10East Coast Earthquake, How are our SFGer's 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

East Coast Earthquake, How are our SFGer's

+13
quiltbea
Lindacol
sceleste54
BackyardBirdGardner
boffer
sfg4uKim
Denese
camprn
littlesapphire
NaturesApprentice
pattipan
llama momma
madnicmom
17 posters

Go down

East Coast Earthquake, How are our SFGer's Empty East Coast Earthquake, How are our SFGer's

Post  madnicmom 8/23/2011, 5:50 pm

5.8 hit from Atlanta to Toronto.

Where i sit, i didn't get it but east cincy felt it along with downtown area. (nancy,masongarden and a few others)

Please check in , let us know you are ok.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

East Coast Earthquake, How are our SFGer's Empty Re: East Coast Earthquake, How are our SFGer's

Post  llama momma 8/23/2011, 5:57 pm

Earthquake not felt in Cincy?? I was told in Columbus, Ohio, Childrens Hospital, felt it on the third floor of Timkin Hall.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

East Coast Earthquake, How are our SFGer's Empty Re: East Coast Earthquake, How are our SFGer's

Post  madnicmom 8/23/2011, 6:09 pm

sorry, my brother lives in Gahanna but I still call that Columbus. He didn't get it either.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/23/2011, 6:16 pm

I work near the heart of Columbus and I didn't feel it either, but I was pretty busy at the time it happened.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 8/23/2011, 7:29 pm

I definitely felt it here in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia. It shook my insides, my windows and the pictures on the wall...and the coffee in my cup was dancing -- very weird. At first I thought it was some piece of heavy equipment on the street outside, but when I went outside to check, a lot of people were coming out of the local businesses and were talking about it. I didn't know it was an earthquake until I checked online.

It's rare here on the East Coast, so it quickly became CNN's top story..ad nauseam.

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  NaturesApprentice 8/23/2011, 7:36 pm

Had bigger quakes where I didn't even spill my drink.

But, I understand the mayhem. We get a few days of rain and people are all ablather about StormWatch 2012!

Stunning Photos from the East Coast Quake.
NaturesApprentice
NaturesApprentice

Male Posts : 53

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 8/23/2011, 7:40 pm

Hubby felt it at work, and his friend (who lives across the state) also felt it, but I felt nothing at all! That happened the last time a quake came through relatively recently. I've decided that they could feel it because they were in big concrete buildings, working on the ground floor, whereas I'm in a small wooden structure, up on the second floor (actually third, if you count the basement).

But anyway, I hope everyone that was hit are doing ok!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/23/2011, 7:43 pm

I must not have been payin attention because I was pruning tomato plants (again) and I didn't feel it. Also, there is street construction going on so maybe I didn't recognize it for what it was. That being said, it is amazing that things shook off shelves 300 miles away from the epicenter. We get 2-3 small (under 3.0) quakes a year here but the last one I remember was more than 25 years ago when the whole house was racking. Quite frightening. Shocked
What I have my eye on is the potential of hurricane Irene hitting us maybe Sunday.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

East Coast Earthquake, How are our SFGer's WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Denese 8/23/2011, 7:54 pm

Felt it here in Southeast, MI. I really don't like the earth moving under my feet. pale Thought I left that when I left Japan. :scratch:

Just for info, even though the quakes in CA are harder at times, their plates are in pieces so it's usually localized. The East Coast is one large plate, so it rocks and rolls a much larger area.
Denese
Denese

Female Posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 8/23/2011, 8:19 pm

Felt it just south of Baltimore, MD.

At first it was pretty weak and I heard a "tap, tap, tap" like someone was softly knocking on the door. It was enough that the beagles started to bark softly. Then I thought it sounded like a woodpecker was on my roof.

I was about to go out the side door to see the "woodpecker" and then the main shock hit. I grabbed my mom and we stood near the door away from anything that could fall on us ready to get out if necessary.

Although they've said there have been aftershocks, we haven't felt any.

Hubby (who's been away for 6 months) was delayed at Newark airport while they checked the runway. He's home safe & sound.

Blessings!
Kim

Kim

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

East Coast Earthquake, How are our SFGer's WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 8/23/2011, 9:42 pm

Good to hear your all OK!!! I spoke with my friend in WV and she is fine as well.

i have to post this little joke I seen on FB.

Was that really an earthquake near DC..or our founding forefathers rolling over in their grave about how our govt relations / politics / economics are???? hummm..makes me wonder!?!? East Coast Earthquake, How are our SFGer's 889526

I know this is another can of worms ( not intended to be discussed here ) but this is the "Everything Else" sub forum.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/23/2011, 10:07 pm

madnicmom wrote:Was that really an earthquake near DC..or our founding forefathers rolling over in their grave about how our govt relations / politics / economics are???? hummm..makes me wonder!?!? East Coast Earthquake, How are our SFGer's 889526
I know this is another can of worms ( not intended to be discussed here ) but this is the "Everything Else" sub forum.

I got a chuckle, and I don't think you could post a safer joke. Just a caution from the forum's Terms of Service that everyone agreed to when they joined:

We have an off-topic forum for conversations that aren't SFG specific. However, as with most forums, we demand that the topics of politics, religion, and others that invariably lead to heated arguments, not be discussed.
The Terms of Service can be found in their entirety here.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/23/2011, 10:22 pm

camprn wrote:I must not have been payin attention because I was pruning tomato plants (again) and I didn't feel it. Also, there is street construction going on so maybe I didn't recognize it for what it was. That being said, it is amazing that things shook off shelves 300 miles away from the epicenter. We get 2-3 small (under 3.0) quakes a year here but the last one I remember was more than 25 years ago when the whole house was racking. Quite frightening. Shocked
What I have my eye on is the potential of hurricane Irene hitting us maybe Sunday.

Lot to digest here. But, the bold is funny to me because you were standing near your MM when it happened. You probably wouldn't feel a 7.8 in MM.....that stuff is so loose and friable. Wink

East coast, from what I know, feels quakes farther away than the west coast. Eastern North America has much more granite, especially the northeast, than anywhere else. The west has a lot of sandstone. Granite, being so hard, conducts vibrations much better.....like metal vs wood in sound testing. Sandstone almost absorbs shockwaves compared to granite. I've even read that if the New Madrid Fault, here near St. Louis, goes off again at an 8+, you will literally feel the shaking in Quebec or Montreal. But, they won't feel a thing as close as eastern Colorado, except by seismograph. (Sorry, the science dork in me erupts from time to time.)

As for the hurricane, I hope you all are watching closely along the east coast. This one looks to be as serious as advertised. Projected landfall is between Wilmington and Cape Hatteras.

However, I imagine it will be further north. My guesstimation is Irene will glance The Outer Banks, but not actually make a landfall until it gets somewhere between Atlantic City and the Connecticut/Rhode Island border. That puts Long Island about right in the crosshairs.....that makes me really nervous. Why? The longer this gal is over water, the more she might strengthen. Coming from this direction, the winds wrapping around the center will funnel water right up the New York Bay in it's storm surge. Let's hope it's not category 4 when it gets there. That carries catastrophic potential with it.

I hope I'm wrong. But, everyone from the Carolinas up through the Maritimes had better be watching this one....
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 8/23/2011, 10:29 pm

My daughter in Raleigh NC felt it strongly. She says her cats are still freaked out !! She just moved to Raleigh from Panama City. Looks like the hurricane will follow her !!
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 8/23/2011, 10:52 pm

My son who live in Clifton, VA, just outside DC says he was driving & did not feel it. A couple of items fell off the shelves - no biggie. He is a southern California boy and has been thru lots of earthquakes out here.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 8/24/2011, 12:01 am

I never felt it here in southwestern Maine.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/24/2011, 7:43 am

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:However, I imagine it will be further north. My guesstimation is Irene will glance The Outer Banks, but not actually make a landfall until it gets somewhere between Atlantic City and the Connecticut/Rhode Island border. That puts Long Island about right in the crosshairs.....that makes me really nervous. Why? The longer this gal is over water, the more she might strengthen. Coming from this direction, the winds wrapping around the center will funnel water right up the New York Bay in it's storm surge. Let's hope it's not category 4 when it gets there. That carries catastrophic potential with it.

I hope I'm wrong. But, everyone from the Carolinas up through the Maritimes had better be watching this one....

The updated forecast of hurricane Irene from NOAA agrees. I'm starting to batten down hatches. My trusted meteorologist is calling for 6-9 inches of rain, with wind gusts of 50+MPH. Shocked

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

East Coast Earthquake, How are our SFGer's WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 8/24/2011, 8:57 am

Well I didn't feel it. But at the time I was standing up in the library talking to someone who was sitting down. She started to freak out, asking what was going on. I laughed at her and told her she was nuts. A few minutes later I walked downstairs to my office, and another colleague opened up her office door and said, "Did you feel that earthquake?" Very Happy Obviously I was the one who was nuts for not feeling it while everyone else around me did!
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 9/17/2011, 4:10 pm

Was in the DC area having left Austria and on the way to the Philippines. I was getting packages out of the back seat when I heard a thump and the truck sank, then raised back up like somebody had dropped a 100lb sack into the truck bed. My first thought was, "who hit my truck". My friend was standing near the front of the truck and felt the ground roll under her feet.

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

East Coast Earthquake, How are our SFGer's Empty Earthquake?

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/24/2014, 8:48 am

Heard y'all had another earthquake up there...  Everyone okay?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/24/2014, 11:50 am

The quake was 1.4 magnitude. Just a brief whisper.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/24/2014, 11:58 am

I'm searching but can't find anything about it. Glad it was just a "whisper"
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/25/2014, 5:25 pm

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

http://earthquaketrack.com/p/united-states/new-hampshire/recent

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down