Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
ARGH, ants! Toplef10ARGH, ants! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

ARGH, ants! I22gcj10ARGH, ants! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
ARGH, ants! Toplef10ARGH, ants! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

ARGH, ants! I22gcj10ARGH, ants! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

ARGH, ants!

+6
shannon1
camprn
capatl
tabletopper
Goosegirl
littlesapphire
10 posters

Go down

ARGH, ants! Empty ARGH, ants!

Post  littlesapphire 8/16/2011, 9:20 pm

I went to all the trouble of making a beautiful strawberry bed this spring because I LOVE strawberries. If I hadn't made a special box just for them, I wouldn't have had room to plant any veggies in my garden!

Well, all season long, I've been having some issues with the berries. There have been a couple of things eating the fruit. The first critter I know what it is, because the bite marks are obviously from a beak!

The second critter, though, I had no idea. It just looked like someone came through with a very small melon baller and took a clean scoop out of the berries. I thought it might be slugs, but I wasn't really sure.

But now I know what the are, because I've been catching the little beasts in action. Ants! Ants are coming in and eating my berries clean! ARGH! What can I do? I know how to take care of ants when they're in my house, but what can I do when they're in with my food? I certainly don't want to use chemicals to kill them, but I can't think of what other options I have.

ARGH, ants! 675916
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

ARGH, ants! Empty Re: ARGH, ants!

Post  Goosegirl 8/16/2011, 9:55 pm

You could try orange oil - they are supposed to hate that!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

ARGH, ants! Empty Re: Grr Grr....Ants

Post  tabletopper 8/17/2011, 7:15 am

where do we buy orange oil....????? Ruth
tabletopper

Female Posts : 235

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 8/17/2011, 8:00 am

tabletopper wrote:where do we buy orange oil....????? Ruth
I get mine online but in Chula Vista you should be able to find it at a health food store. They may have some natural cleaners made with orange oil that you could use as is or diluted as the ant repellent and it would double as a soapy bug spray. Right now I am using my homemade bathroom disinfectant as my soap spray for aphids and beetles when needed and as my fungicide (pine oil soap and tea tree oil - gotta love 'em!). So far it is working!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  capatl 8/17/2011, 9:20 pm

I have used cinnamon inside where they come into my house, they hate it...but I don't know how that would work around the garden. Just a thought. Smile
capatl

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 8/17/2011, 9:42 pm

Capatl, I think I'll try that tomorrow. The little beasts were eating my UNRIPE strawberries today! They must be desperate!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Back to top Go down

Post  capatl 8/21/2011, 12:56 pm

littlesapphire wrote:Capatl, I think I'll try that tomorrow. The little beasts were eating my UNRIPE strawberries today! They must be desperate!

Hey littlesapphire,

Did you try the cinnamon? How did it work? I was doing some much overdue watering the other day and tons of frantic ants came scurrying out of my pumpkin and butternut squash mounds with their larvae. affraid I didn't think about it before, but does anyone know if cinnamon is have an effect on the soil...good/bad?

I hope you found a remedy! Now I need one too!
capatl

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 8/21/2011, 1:13 pm

capatl wrote:
littlesapphire wrote:Capatl, I think I'll try that tomorrow. The little beasts were eating my UNRIPE strawberries today! They must be desperate!

Hey littlesapphire,

Did you try the cinnamon? How did it work? I was doing some much overdue watering the other day and tons of frantic ants came scurrying out of my pumpkin and butternut squash mounds with their larvae. affraid I didn't think about it before, but does anyone know if cinnamon is have an effect on the soil...good/bad?

Cinnamon is just ground-up tree bark, so I would think it would be just something else to decompose. Just a guess, tho'.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/21/2011, 2:57 pm

I have not used it myself but my friend, a gardener for over 60 years, swears by and carries a small container of boric acid crystals in her little garden cart/seat, just for ants. She sprinkles just a few crystals at the entrance of the ant hill and the ants take it up. My understanding is it causes dehydration in the ants. And Leona says, "A little goes a long way". You can buy it at the local pharmacy. I strongly suggest some research about boric acid and it's uses before using it. The label will most likely not have directions for use as an insecticide. Good luck.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

ARGH, ants! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 8/22/2011, 4:24 am

capatl wrote:

Hey littlesapphire,

I used cinnamon earlier this year and it didn't seem to effect the soil adversely but the ants sure didn't like it:twisted:
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 8/22/2011, 11:54 am

I never actually got a chance to use the cinnamon. I posted that last comment the same day my very last two strawberries got eaten by ants, lol. So I kind of threw in the towel and decided not to bother Laughing

However, I will try it in the spring when the strawberries come back. I've been kind of curious if ants would start invading the MM because it's so very soft and I bet they'd just love to build a colony in it. So far, I've only really seen them in my strawberry bed, but I have to be honest here Embarassed I filled my strawberry bed with top soil. For shame!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Back to top Go down

Post  capatl 8/22/2011, 9:39 pm

Aw Sapphire, too bad. Sorry about your strawberries!

Shannon, thanks for the info, I am definitely going to use cinnamon tomorrow.
capatl

Back to top Go down

Post  AprilakaCCIL 8/22/2011, 10:21 pm

I again stepped in yet another ant hil by accident today while out in the garden. I'm sick of them. Arghhh Twisted Evil
AprilakaCCIL
AprilakaCCIL

Female Posts : 219

Back to top Go down

Post  jtuck2 8/24/2011, 3:31 am

I feel the same way!! I have never seen so many ants in my life, not even in Florida. They're in my house...in my garden...everywhere! And I hate to use chemicals for ANYthing!

I found that Terro ant killer with boric acid works pretty well in and around the house, but not as well with the ants in my garden. They like my corn better than the bait.

I was going to try cinnamon, but I tried it in the house this week. It worked the first day, but then wore off and the little buggers started walking right through it....the first day they got up to about 1/16th of an inch away and then just turned around fast like they had been hit by a bumper car and went in the other direction.

The ants ruined whole ears of my corn...just turned them brown.

One thing...if the ants are carrying aphids onto your plants and then eating their sweet debris to stay alive, I know what to do that works. But you have to repeat it often...maybe once a week or so. You trim branches off your tomatoes, then cut them into 1 inch pieces and soak them overnight in a bucket of water to make "tomato tea." I probably overdo the quantity because my tomatos needed lots of trimming.

You then put the "tomato water" in a spray bottle and spray the plants that have ants and aphids on them. The aphids hate the tomato tea, and because they can't live with it, the ants give up and go away. It really works, but you really have to keep doing it!

Please, please....more ant remedies!! I get too busy to do the tea trick all the time. And there are only so many extra tomatoes!! cherry
jtuck2

Back to top Go down

Post  jtuck2 8/24/2011, 3:35 am

Goosegirl wrote:
IThey may have some natural cleaners made with orange oil that you could use as is or diluted as the ant repellent and it would double as a soapy bug spray.
GG

If you're referring to goo gone, it's got some petroleum in it that shouldn't be used with veggies. Should read the label even if it says "natural" 'cause so many natural things aren't!
jtuck2

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 8/24/2011, 6:51 am

jtuck2 wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:
IThey may have some natural cleaners made with orange oil that you could use as is or diluted as the ant repellent and it would double as a soapy bug spray.
GG

If you're referring to goo gone, it's got some petroleum in it that shouldn't be used with veggies. Should read the label even if it says "natural" 'cause so many natural things aren't!

Definitely not Goo Gone! There are some natural cleaners available in some health food stores for windows or for all-purpose cleaning that have orange oil in them for scent and for its cleaning power. Can't remember any brand names because I make my own cleaners, but there are a few different ones out there.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 8/24/2011, 12:30 pm

I was on my knees replanting some lettuce that had not sprouted very well. As I moved down a few squares, I noticed my tiny white lettuce seed marching toward the edge. That's right, they were packing off my seeds before my eyes.
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  jtuck2 8/24/2011, 2:11 pm

[quote="GoosegirlDefinitely not Goo Gone! There are some natural cleaners available in some health food stores for windows or for all-purpose cleaning that have orange oil in them for scent and for its cleaning power. Can't remember any brand names because I make my own cleaners, but there are a few different ones out there.

I will definitely take a look for those! Never saw them!
jtuck2

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 8/26/2011, 1:02 am

Some of you may remember my failed attempt to afix the insect barrier to the out side of my TT with adhesive zelcro (it would not stick to the insect barrier). Well I left the prickly side of the stuff around the outside edge of the box and it has kept out ants, snails and who knows what else. I have seen ants walk right up to it and turn around and walk away. It won't help you folks with boxes on the ground as I think the ants would just come up through the bottom.

Last edited by shannon1 on 8/26/2011, 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 8/26/2011, 1:15 am

shannon1 wrote:Some of you may remember my failed attempt to afix the insect barrier to the out side og my TT with adhesive zelcro (it would not stick to the insect barrier). Well I left the prickly side of the stuff around the outside edge of the box and it has kept out ants, snails and who knows what else. I have seen ants walk right up to it and turn around and walk away. It won't help you folks with boxes on the ground as I think the ants would just come up through the bottom.

OMG! That is BRILLIANT! I love it!When I relocate my boxes will all have the velcro rough stuff on them - and it already has adhesive. Tonight I assume I am being inundated by snails as we speak. I hate using snail bait but nothing else works. Although I did try Epsom salts tonight. See this thread. What a GREAT solution. You should be in the solutions hall of fame.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 8/26/2011, 1:23 am

Gosh thanks.sunny It was a happy case of being too lazy to take it off. I did end up putting in a few nails to just to make sure it would stay. Next box I'm just going to use the kind you sew with since it is so much cheaper. You might look into that, so much cheaper by the yard.Twisted Evil
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 8/26/2011, 2:32 am

I would probably secure it here and there with a staple gun, but still...
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jtuck2 9/3/2011, 6:48 pm

[quote="Chopper"]
shannon1 wrote:Some of you may remember my failed attempt to afix the insect barrier to the out side og my TT with adhesive zelcro (it would not stick to the insect barrier). Well I left the prickly side of the stuff around the outside edge of the box and it has kept out ants, snails and who knows what else. I have seen ants walk right up to it and turn around and walk away. It won't help you folks with boxes on the ground as I think the ants would just come up through the bottom.
Hi Chopper, can you send us to the original info about your zelcro insect barrier? I'm not understanding. thanks!!!
jtuck2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down