Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Are my homemade worm castings "blended"? Toplef10Are my homemade worm castings "blended"? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Are my homemade worm castings "blended"? I22gcj10Are my homemade worm castings "blended"? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Are my homemade worm castings "blended"? Toplef10Are my homemade worm castings "blended"? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Are my homemade worm castings "blended"? I22gcj10Are my homemade worm castings "blended"? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Are my homemade worm castings "blended"?

5 posters

Go down

Are my homemade worm castings "blended"? Empty Are my homemade worm castings "blended"?

Post  SoCalET 8/10/2011, 5:03 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC, the compost that should be added upon planting should either be a blended compost from five sources, or your homemade compost. I don't have a regular compost heap, but plant to start one. However, I have been vermicomposting for a few months. So, I have a decent amount of vermicompost that my little squigglers have produced.

My question is: is my homemade vermicompost adequate on its own, or does it need to be blended with four other store bought composts?

TIA
SoCalET

Back to top Go down

Are my homemade worm castings "blended"? Empty Re: Are my homemade worm castings "blended"?

Post  Goosegirl 8/10/2011, 9:52 pm

SoCalET wrote:
My question is: is my homemade vermicompost adequate on its own, or does it need to be blended with four other store bought composts?

TIA

Worm poo is about the best compost you can get! If you already have your MM in your boxes and are just adding the extra between crops, your worm castings should be just fine.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Are my homemade worm castings "blended"? Empty Re: Are my homemade worm castings "blended"?

Post  boffer 8/10/2011, 10:25 pm

SoCalET wrote:My question is: is my homemade vermicompost adequate on its own, or does it need to be blended with four other store bought composts?TIA

From everything I've read, worm poo is great stuff. I will suggest that no one has done the comparison testing to see if worm poo alone is comparable to a 5 way compost blend that Mel says to use to re-plentish a square after a harvest.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 8/11/2011, 1:58 am

My $0.02 about worm castings and blended compost: It should depend on what the worms were fed. If you have the worms and feed it table scraps then I'd think it would be considered blended IF you don't just feed it broccoli stems. If you feed it bread, broccoli/cauliflower stems, leftover carrots, onion/potato peelings, bean/pea pods and a few other things, then(in my opinion) it's blended.

If you're buying castings from the store, then I'd treat it as not blended since you don't know what the worms were fed. Just like regular compost, if all you're composting is cow manure, then it's not blended. But if you throw in cow manure, chicken manure, straw, kitchen scraps, spent plants and grass clippings then it's mixed. It's the source of the compost that is important, not the end product.

This is why Mel tells us to buy at least 5 different kinds of compost: bagged compost is generally the waste product of a single industry and therefor only contains certain plant nutrients(buying 5 different brands of composted cow manure doesn't count either).

But I will tell you this, when my worms finally produce some castings, I'll still be mixing it with bagged compost from the store(plants need desert too!) and compost from the back yard. I might even just throw it all together after I make a 3-boxed compost bin and let it really blend together well.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  SoCalET 8/11/2011, 12:14 pm

Thank for the feedback. My squigglers certainly get a diversified mix of feeding. I guess as diversified a mix as what comes out of my kitchen. This includes stems and leaves of broc/cauli, ends of cukes and zukes, egg shells and coffee grounds (usually together as my breakfast scraps). I try to give them a healthy amount of fruit scraps (which they seem to enjoy) including banana peels, papaya shells (but not the seeds), grape stems, and of course melon rinds (their absolute favorite). They also get plenty of shredded newspaper and egg cartons for bedding. And when a potted plant dies on me, I give them a scoop or so of the soil.

They get minimal citrus, although after cutting a whole pineapple, it pains me to throw all of the scraps away, so they get some of it. I don't give them lemon/lime rinds. Minimal onion and garlic scraps, they just don't seem to care for it. Also, I learned, no peanut shells. Especially salted, the sodium, even if rinsed isn't good for them. But also, they don't break the peanut shells down. Shells from three months ago are still sitting in the bottom tray, completely whole. They will break an avocado pit down faster than a single peanut shell.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I guess I'm comfortable with assuming that my worms are producing diversified poop. So, I'm going to go with it as my compost for replanting.
SoCalET

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 8/11/2011, 12:24 pm

I consider worm castings wonderful compost.

I usually use mine as a booster around the plants since I have compost from my bins for the normal additions to the soil square when planting.

It doesn't burn, has no chemicals, and is very diversified so you can't go wrong with it to add in the holes when planting.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down