Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
crop rotation - Mizuna as a fall and early winter crop. Toplef10crop rotation - Mizuna as a fall and early winter crop. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

crop rotation - Mizuna as a fall and early winter crop. I22gcj10crop rotation - Mizuna as a fall and early winter crop. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
crop rotation - Mizuna as a fall and early winter crop. Toplef10crop rotation - Mizuna as a fall and early winter crop. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

crop rotation - Mizuna as a fall and early winter crop. I22gcj10crop rotation - Mizuna as a fall and early winter crop. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Yesterday at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:06 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising 5/9/2024, 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mizuna as a fall and early winter crop.

3 posters

Go down

crop rotation - Mizuna as a fall and early winter crop. Empty Mizuna as a fall and early winter crop.

Post  quiltbea 7/16/2011, 11:52 am

I know several of us will be planting for a fall and early winter harvest and some hope to hoophouse and coldframe crops right into winter this year.

Mizuna.....Its considered one of the wintering type crops because it can take the cold so well. I planted some for spring and I'm still harvesting it because its doing well beneath a double layer of cheesecloth along with my lettuces.

As for flavor......its so bland I'd say it has no flavor at all.
Maybe it improves when it gets cold in the winter.
crop rotation - Mizuna as a fall and early winter crop. 07-16-10
This is Basil on the left and Mizuna on the right.

Does anyone know if its flavor improves with a couple of freezes?
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

crop rotation - Mizuna as a fall and early winter crop. Empty Re: Mizuna as a fall and early winter crop.

Post  westie42 7/17/2011, 2:18 am

Hope it does improve with cold weather or frost. Mine like yours is without taste where it was described as a mustard like flavor. Planted it quite early and a couple more times after that all tastes the same, flat. Had high hopes of something exotic and mustardly. Have enough seeds left for another year of trying. Could not really find any info on it except it is a great green, ha. A guy on youtube puts it in scrambled eggs. Since it is bland wonder if running it thru the juicer is a good option. It looks to be extremely cold tolerant so I hate to think about giving up on it but really need some winter greens to grow. I tried cress for the first time and really like its mild peppery flavor in salads.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

crop rotation - Mizuna as a fall and early winter crop. Empty Re: Mizuna as a fall and early winter crop.

Post  quiltbea 7/17/2011, 8:48 am

Westie, thanks for the response.
I've got Claytonia, Mache, Arugula and Toykyo Bekana seeds to try as well so that will go in for fall.
I'll give the Mizuna a cold chance and hope for the best.
Thanks for the update on cress. I'll have to put that on my list.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 7/17/2011, 11:45 am

Used to hate arugula but decided I eat far too few greens for my own good so spent last winter looking for new ideas to get my intake of greens significantly higher. My list was actual what you listed here except for the bekana which will get studied yet today. Slowly I have gotten the arugula to be actually enjoyed in my salads. Find myself waiting for it’s distinct flavor to hit me just like the cress or a chunk of mint or greek oregano do in salads. That was to be mizunas job too but guess will have to stick with mustard for that distinct hit of flavor. So all things considered my greens intake has been upped significantly. Adding three kinds of Choi has been very helpful too and less I forget some Italian dandelions have been a new hit. Most of that stuff came from Johnnies seeds but will seriously look at http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/garden-shop/seeds/ from the UK closely because they have an endlessly enticing list of herbs and organics.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

crop rotation - Mizuna as a fall and early winter crop. Empty Mizuna flavor

Post  3acres 3/22/2013, 1:59 pm

In my ignorance, I didn't realize that mizuna was a cool season crop and planted it around the frost-free date. The flavor was great - it reminds me of deviled eggs as far as mustard strength. It did bolt fairly fast when I planted it that late, but it didn't seem to go bitter when it started flowering. It did attract little beetles and harlequin bugs like crazy at that point, and I pulled it to get rid of the bugs. I will try growing the plain mizuna this year for the first time. In the past, I have grown red-streak/ruby-streak mizuna because it looked interesting in with other greens. Maybe the temperature changes the flavor? I'll try some early and late this year along with my May-June crop.
3acres
3acres

Female Posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down