Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is it too early for Fall crop planting? Toplef10Is it too early for Fall crop planting? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is it too early for Fall crop planting? I22gcj10Is it too early for Fall crop planting? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is it too early for Fall crop planting? Toplef10Is it too early for Fall crop planting? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is it too early for Fall crop planting? I22gcj10Is it too early for Fall crop planting? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by markqz Today at 12:38 am

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 12:08 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Is it too early for Fall crop planting?

5 posters

Go down

Is it too early for Fall crop planting? Empty Is it too early for Fall crop planting?

Post  braim5 8/30/2011, 9:55 pm

I was able to find seedlings at a local garden center for brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage, and brussels spouts. Here, in north-central Arkansas, we are still experiencing some highs in the lower nineties. Would my seedlings die if I put them out in my SFG now? I am such an impatient person to wait. In fact, I've already tried direct seeding the brocolli, cauliflower, and cabbage in the soil without any luck with germination. I'm hoping that the seedlings(they are pretty good sized) can tolerate the warmer temps better than the seeds could. Anyone with experience in Fall gardening able to help me?

Thanks!
braim5
braim5

Female Posts : 49

Back to top Go down

Is it too early for Fall crop planting? Empty Re: Is it too early for Fall crop planting?

Post  boffer 8/30/2011, 10:05 pm

Your first frost date is going to dictate here. Regardless of your current temperatures, your plants need time to reach near maturity by your frost date. Your cool crops will survive sub-freezing temperatures OK, but their growth rate will slow way down along with the shorter daylight hours.

You can help your seedlings get through the heat by providing shade, and keeping the MM moist on top at all times, as the evaporation process will provide some cooling effect.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Is it too early for Fall crop planting? Empty Re: Is it too early for Fall crop planting?

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/30/2011, 10:38 pm

Wondering if you have Mel's book? The one in the banner? It has wonderful tables on fall plantings, directs you to time them by your fall frost date, and has germination charts showing you that when soils are still that warm....nothing germinates.

If you want to satisfy your impatience (like me), drop some seeds in a starting medium and bring them indoors until they sprout. Then, take them outside and gamble with the heat. If the cooler season plants have some shade, they may just make it. If they are in full sun, they will likely disappear.

However, stagger the gambling attempts every couple weeks and you will time your heat breaking perfectly. Sometimes that's all we can do.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  braim5 8/31/2011, 7:26 am

Thanks Boffer and BBG for your replies. I do have the book and have read it. After several failed attempts at direct seeding in my bed for cool weather crops (I would get some germination, but then the small seedlings would "dissolve" in the sun), I found some tips on here from members about seeding in vermiculite. I am extremely happy with the germination in my little cups inside. However, when I saw these seedlings already established, I couldn't resist buying them... I'm not sure what I will do with my sprouts, but at least I have a back up and maybe I can find some places to plant them to have a staggered harvest later on, especially for the cauliflower and cabbage that doesn't provide side shoots like the brocolli. I can't wait to taste them all! I've never grown any of the cool weather crops before. What a Face
braim5
braim5

Female Posts : 49

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 10/3/2011, 2:13 pm

This is my first year gardening- so no experience to speak of. But my broccoli from spring went all summer! I harvested the heads early on and had non-stop shoots to keep our plates full. I finally pulled those 3wks ago and started my seeds indoor about the same time. Now that it's been consistently mild, my young plants are spending most of their time outside and doing well....except those darn moths found them! Evil or Very Mad But I'm carefully taking care of them now! Twisted Evil I haven't put the plants in the ground yet- I'm keeping them on their watering tray and move them to the shady side of the yard on days when it's supposed to be warmer. So far, so good!

Lettuce, spinach, peas, beans and carrots are all taking off and my tomatoes are still going strong. Even the strawberries are doing well after the light frost. I have some heavy plastic that I'm wrapping the garden up in at night now...got down to 38*F 2 nights ago. Hopefully we'll have a more consistent fall that we did summer. So far- it's been easier to keep all the seeds very moist and most of the pests at bay.
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  AZDYJ2K 10/3/2011, 3:19 pm

I'm surprised your seeds have not germinated. I am in Chandler, AZ (low desert) and it's still hitting 100 degrees give or take 5 degrees. I planted broccoli, spinach, bok choy, carrots, napa cabbage and leaf lettuce. The leaf lettuce are the only ones that did not sprout and I knew going in that leaf lettuce does not sprout in warm soil. All the seedlings are doing good.
AZDYJ2K
AZDYJ2K

Male Posts : 169

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum