Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Harvesting Questions Toplef10Harvesting Questions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Harvesting Questions I22gcj10Harvesting Questions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Harvesting Questions Toplef10Harvesting Questions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Harvesting Questions I22gcj10Harvesting Questions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Harvesting Questions

4 posters

Go down

Harvesting Questions Empty Harvesting Questions

Post  MasonGarden 7/14/2011, 9:41 pm

I've been picking a few things here and there, but I have a few rookie questions about harvesting:

• What is the best way to harvest lettuce? Time of day? Wash right away and refrigerate, or put in fridge and wash when ready to eat it? Harvest right before we eat it? Seems to wilt before we can eat it for lunch or dinner.

• In general, should I only harvest in the early morning? Should veggies be washed before storing/refrigerating? Stored in bags in the refrigerator? (I know I shouldn't refrigerate tomatoes though)

• I don't get enough cucumbers at a time to make a whole batch of pickles, so how long can they keep until I harvest enough to "put up" a jar? Same with hot peppers.

• Will my red and gold sweet bell peppers change from green to the right color on the vine, or should they be harvested while still green, and ripened in the house?

• How can you tell when root vegetables (Carrots, Radishes, Beets, etc) are ready to harvest?

These are probably silly me questions, but since we are about to get into the thick of harvesting in this area, I don't want anything to go to waste by not harvesting properly. Thanks!
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Harvesting Questions Empty Re: Harvesting Questions

Post  shannon1 7/15/2011, 2:57 am

I like to harvest greens in the AM. Into the fridge they go unwashed. It is hot down here. As far as toms go I have heard tell one is not to chill them as it effects the taste in a bad way. I like to eat them cold sometimes and sometimes I eat them right off the vine. I may not have an educated palate due to the amount of chillies I eat, but I don't notice much of a difference. the other vegies I just harvest when I can take them straight to the kitchen and cook them up.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 7/15/2011, 7:09 am

This is my second year, so I hope I don't misinform too much:

I harvested my lettuce by the leaf from different plants so as to allow them to continue growing. I try to harvest as I eat(sometime difficult when things ripen at once like tomatoes), the plant it comes from can keep them fresher than any fridge.

As far as washing, that's a personal choice really. If you didn't spray the veggies with any chemicals and your air quality is good, then the only things you need to worry about is from animals and insects. I've eaten tomatoes off the vine without washing, but some things I do wash. This year I'll be washing everything as I had to use BT(though an organic pesticide, it's still a pesticide..better safe than sorry). Also read the instructions on any pesticides, they usually say to stop spraying 4-6 weeks(or more) before harvesting.

I can't speak for pickling cucumbers, but mine usually last about a week before shriveling in the fridge.

Bell peppers(along with other peppers, tomatoes..and as far as I know everything else) will ripen just fine on the vine.

Carrots, and I think radishes, grow more greens on top the larger they get(width-wise). So you can tell roughly how large around they are and that should be an indicator of when to harvest. I'm not sure about beets.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 7/15/2011, 7:52 am

Hi,
I harvest lettuce just before I eat it. Most veggies are happier if you do not wash them before storage, this does not hold true for root veggies. Believe it or not those fancy veggie refrigerator bags really do work. I can get garden lettuce to last almost a month. (Just for the record I only do that, when I have a huge harvest because the lettuce is about to bolt.) To figure out when your root veggies are ready to harvest just poke a finger around in the ground. Does the carrot feel the correct size? Sometime the "shoulders" will poke out of the ground. Hope some of this helps.

Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 7/16/2011, 9:41 am

Very helpful harvesting advice. Thank you all!

I went out this morning and picked some Simpson Elite, Tango, Flame and Buttercrunch lettuces (still wet from the dew) and popped them right into a veggie refrigerator bag, unwashed and into the fridge. Hoping to have a nice salad for the family tonight, with the Better Sweet and Lemon cucumbers that I plucked off the vine as well. Unfortunately, no ripe tomatoes just yet. No carrots either. I took a peek at a Scarlet Nantes carrot, and it was just a "wee" little thing, about 2.5 inches long and 1/4" wide - too soon to eat! Oh well. It's time will come! hungry
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down