Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New and excited! Toplef10New and excited! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New and excited! I22gcj10New and excited! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New and excited! Toplef10New and excited! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New and excited! I22gcj10New and excited! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

New and excited!

+3
jcarr
Pam Nix
capatl
7 posters

Go down

New and excited! Empty New and excited!

Post  capatl 7/2/2011, 5:49 pm

Hi!

We bought our first home last December. We love our neighborhood, which has managed to keep much green space even though located in southeast downtown Atlanta. This spring/summer has been interesting as I painfully wait, watching things sprout up in the yard that may or may not be weeds! Our backyard already has a raised bed so I was excited to get some veggies in the ground. They are doing well...my biggest challenge is keeping the dogs OUT. I reigned in my resourceful 'teacher' creativity and cut some bamboo growing between my and my neighbors fence, and created some fencing/trellises.

I look forward to be a part of this forum and reading the SFG book, which I just ordered online. I also teach pre-k and I finally persuaded my boss to add a raised bed in our playground. In the beginning of the summer I had my summer camp class (ages 5-11) come up with what to put in the garden. I wish I had the book then, because I was at a loss on how to arrange plants, trellises, etc. This fall I look forward to utilizing the book's suggestions as I continue to learn from my mistakes, lol.

I will be sharing pic's of both my garden and the school's and look forward to suggestions and tips from anyone willing to share!

capatl

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

New and excited! Empty Re: New and excited!

Post  Pam Nix 7/2/2011, 6:43 pm

Welcome! One of the great things about SFG is at least in your garden you know immediately if it is a plant or weed. Smile The book is an amazing teacher and you will learn a lot when you read through it. Then factor in the forum and the knowledge base is limitless.
Pam Nix
Pam Nix

Back to top Go down

New and excited! Empty Info from another Georgian

Post  jcarr 7/2/2011, 6:55 pm

I have just finished reading the new SFG book and am excited to get started with a fall garden. Just wondering if any of you Georgians could give me information on the best place to buy the coarse grade Vermiculite. I am in the Augusta area. thanks.
jcarr

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/2/2011, 7:11 pm

New and excited! 396615 jcarr to SFG. That is two new gardeners on this thread, we are getting new members at breakneck speed. I have only been here a couple of months myself and remember the warm welcome I had and how much help I have received and how much I have learned.

There is a thread under Vermiculite and I think there may be info on where to obtain what you need.

Best of luck. New and excited! 61949

If you go to the top of this page and click on FORUM, there is a list of topics and you will find it there.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 7/3/2011, 3:22 pm

Glad to have two new SFG'rs from Georgia. I have family near Rome and will be visiting with them next week.
New and excited! 654548 capatl, really glad you joined us and we are lloking forward to hearing how your garden progresses. Once you received your ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING book, you will find great information on how to fill that bed with the perfect growing medium, Mel's Mix.

Be sure you keep us updated and please share pictures of both your own garden and the one at school.

New and excited! 654548 jcarr, hope we can help you find your vermiculite.

Here is the VERMICULITE DATA BASE

To view sources already reported click on U.S. D.B.

To add new sources when you find them, click on U.S. FORM

Let us know how things are going, then share pictures as you progress. Looking forward to hearing how everything does.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

New and excited! Empty Found Vermiculite...now another ?

Post  jcarr 7/20/2011, 11:06 am

I am making my first attempt at growing some things from seeds for my fall planting. I followed the schedule for seeding indoors in the SFG book. My broccoli and cabbage seeds came up so quickly in the vermiculite. I then moved them to small containers with Mel's Mix. They are so tall and spindly looking, though. I can't imagine that they will thicken up and look like the plant slips you buy. Will this really work? Basically,all they are are 2 small leaves and a very long skinny stem. Do I just leave them alone, with a bit of water, for the next 5 weeks, at which time the book tells me it is OK to transplant them outside?
jcarr

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/20/2011, 11:43 am

jcarr wrote:I am making my first attempt at growing some things from seeds for my fall planting. I followed the schedule for seeding indoors in the SFG book. My broccoli and cabbage seeds came up so quickly in the vermiculite. I then moved them to small containers with Mel's Mix. They are so tall and spindly looking, though. I can't imagine that they will thicken up and look like the plant slips you buy. Will this really work? Basically,all they are are 2 small leaves and a very long skinny stem. Do I just leave them alone, with a bit of water, for the next 5 weeks, at which time the book tells me it is OK to transplant them outside?
If it was me, I might try putting them in 3 inch pots and putting them outside in a strong shade for the next few weeks. I would also cover them with some tulle to prevent any munchers or moths laying eggs on them, water daily and they will probably do well.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 7/20/2011, 2:23 pm

New and excited! 396615 to the forum and to SFG, please keep us posted, and share pictures when you can!
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down