Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Gagggg!!!  The stench of fish fertilizer. Toplef10Gagggg!!!  The stench of fish fertilizer. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Gagggg!!!  The stench of fish fertilizer. I22gcj10Gagggg!!!  The stench of fish fertilizer. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Gagggg!!!  The stench of fish fertilizer. Toplef10Gagggg!!!  The stench of fish fertilizer. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Gagggg!!!  The stench of fish fertilizer. I22gcj10Gagggg!!!  The stench of fish fertilizer. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Gagggg!!! The stench of fish fertilizer.

+8
BetsyC
BackyardBirdGardner
acara
pattipan
sistabelle
Mamachibi
MarcyG
milaneyjane
12 posters

Go down

Gagggg!!!  The stench of fish fertilizer. Empty Gagggg!!! The stench of fish fertilizer.

Post  milaneyjane 6/30/2011, 4:56 pm

Oh....My...Gooodness!!!!!!!!!!! I almost retched mixing up a batch to water my plants with. It looked like pooh-in-a-bottle and smelled just as bad. affraid Are they all this smelly????
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Gagggg!!!  The stench of fish fertilizer. Empty Re: Gagggg!!! The stench of fish fertilizer.

Post  MarcyG 6/30/2011, 6:16 pm

It is Poo!! Fish poo and yes it stinks but the veggies love it Very Happy
MarcyG
MarcyG

Back to top Go down

Gagggg!!!  The stench of fish fertilizer. Empty Re: Gagggg!!! The stench of fish fertilizer.

Post  Mamachibi 6/30/2011, 7:20 pm

Yup, stinks when applied, but tomorrow you won't smell it at all. And the plants love it SO much - it's really worth it!
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Post  sistabelle 7/1/2011, 3:16 am

The Indians who taught the settlers how to plant corm put a fish in the ground under each corn seed. I tried using the same formula years ago by using fish heads from fishermen who tossed them . Worked great and no smell!
sistabelle
sistabelle

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 7/1/2011, 9:07 am

And another friendly word of advice...

Never, ever, premix your fish emulsion and leave it outside in the sun in a closed milk jug!

If you think it smells bad fresh from the bottle, well... affraid

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  sistabelle 7/1/2011, 9:18 am

yummy! I can smell it from here!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
sistabelle
sistabelle

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 7/1/2011, 11:41 am

Oh yeah .....

#1 way to get yourself in trouble ......Spill some on yourself and then toss yr dirty clothes in the hamper .... Embarassed

Takes days to get the stench outta the hamper !!
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 7/1/2011, 1:30 pm

When we were kids, we baited our fish hooks with it. They sold similar smelling stuff in plastic tubs called "Catfish bait." They even sold it in squeeze tubes called Mr. Catfish or something like that.

We just called it "sweet smelling pate (pah-TAY)." I remember baiting trot lines with it on a river in Texas with my grandfather. My brother and I looked at each other and said....."aaaaah, sweet smelling pate." And, sort of giggled.

My grandfather uttered his first curse word in front of us and said, "This stuff smells like bleep. It's supposed to. If you think it's so sweet smelling, you little turds can bait the lines." And, he walked away.....giggling.

We never called it that again.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  BetsyC 6/2/2012, 12:37 pm

I just did a foliar feeding of all my veggies with good old stinky fish and kelp spray! Oh yeah...it is funky, but I remember it always worked for me before so I bought some before I started my gardens this year then finally remembered I had it! cheers
BetsyC
BetsyC

Female Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post  rod champion 6/2/2012, 12:47 pm

cats like it too.
rod champion

Male Posts : 125

http://www.southholstonriverflyshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/2/2012, 12:55 pm

Lol, it's definitely an eye opener isn't it What a Face

Gagggg!!!  The stench of fish fertilizer. Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Gagggg!!!  The stench of fish fertilizer. Empty Fish Fertilizer

Post  memart1 6/2/2012, 1:11 pm

My boyfriend had a traditional garden in which he threw everything. He would always put a fish under a tomato plant, His garden was full of eggshells, clam shells, used cooking oil, kitchen scraps, lawn trimmings, and anything else that would compost. He used the direct compost method all his life. He started his garden about 1950 when he built his home, and when I first met him in 1982 he stood on a board he had put between the rows and held a pitchfork up in the air. When he let go of it, it went about two feet deep in the soil. Everything grew very, very well and his biggest problem was rabbits and woodchucks. I know he also used chewing tobacco to make a tea which he used for insect control, but I am not sure just what he did with it. He was a non-smoker.
memart1
memart1

Female Posts : 195

http://www.mem-artceramics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BetsyC 6/2/2012, 4:31 pm

rod champion wrote:cats like it too.

When I came inside this morning, the dogs attached their nostrils to my pant legs immediately! "Mmmmmmmmmm...it smells like Mom rolled in poop! Yay!" affraid
BetsyC
BetsyC

Back to top Go down

Post  BetsyC 6/4/2012, 7:05 pm

Doggone! It has only been a couple of days since I applied the fishy stuff and my peppers and tomatoes look much greener and healthier. The peppers have even grown some! I hate to overuse anything, so I will use a careful hand with it, but I like what I am seeing so far. cheers
BetsyC
BetsyC

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/4/2012, 7:28 pm

BetsyC wrote:Doggone! It has only been a couple of days since I applied the fishy stuff and my peppers and tomatoes look much greener and healthier. The peppers have even grown some! I hate to overuse anything, so I will use a careful hand with it, but I like what I am seeing so far. cheers
Betsy, I don't use the stuff but I am curious what the label says about when or how often to use the product.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Gagggg!!!  The stench of fish fertilizer. WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  BetsyC 6/4/2012, 7:32 pm

camprn wrote:
BetsyC wrote:Doggone! It has only been a couple of days since I applied the fishy stuff and my peppers and tomatoes look much greener and healthier. The peppers have even grown some! I hate to overuse anything, so I will use a careful hand with it, but I like what I am seeing so far. cheers
Betsy, I don't use the stuff but I am curious what the label says about when or how often to use the product.

I got the Burpee's brand, and it says every 7-10 days as needed. This was my first application, so I plan on using more, but not for a good while!
BetsyC
BetsyC

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down