Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 Toplef10Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 I22gcj10Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 Toplef10Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 I22gcj10Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Three Sisters Thursday

+37
Chopper
giant_trainer
dayhut
sanderson
Marc Iverson
gwennifer
walshevak
southern gardener
ETNRedClay
tagyourit
Dunkinjean
Turan
thegreatcob
snibb
lisaphoto
rhanford
madnicmom
Kelejan
stripesmom
middlemamma
sherryeo
westie42
Goosegirl
Furbalsmom
jcpen
capatl
AprilakaCCIL
Nonna.PapaVino
mijejo
Cynlady
boffer
petals1973
quiltbea
nancy
FamilyGardening
busygirl
FarmerValerie
41 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 Empty Re: Three Sisters Thursday

Post  FarmerValerie 7/1/2011, 8:10 am

I'm pulling some of my corn, didn't really "make", but a few did. Need to replant 2 pumpkin seeds and "hope" they make in time. I'll be planting beans again today, lost quite a few because the squash got too big too fast and shaded out the beans, then my alternate waterer didn't soak the ground. Southern peas planted in the 2 Sisters beds did great, butter and lima beans did okay, the rest of my green beans did not. Southern peas don't need as much water as beans do, so that may be why the are doing so well, I won't combine Southern peas and 3 sisters again, until I get a drip system, even then since corn needs lots of water, and these peas don't, I may not mix them even then, not sure.

I may get some pictures up soon, the heat is getting to me lately, and when I'm done out there, I can't wait to get back in the airconditioning.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynlady 7/1/2011, 6:25 pm

Hi FamilyGardening!
I just recently joined the SFG and I came across this forum about Three Sisters Thursday. Well I'm a day late. I want to complement you on how green your corn, beans and squash are. Very nice and I'm envious. I'm trying to achieve what you have. If I knew how to download photos, they would be here with this blog so you could see what I'm talking about. In my situation I'm growing out of raised beds 24 inches tall. In one of my raised beds, I have planted a sort of a 3 Sisters Garden. Instead of squash, I planted potatoes. I saw a blog in MotherEarth News that some amature farmers, such as I am, had substituted the squash with potatoes in their 3 Sisters Garden. The potatoes are looking beautiful, but the corn and beans, which I have planted at the north and east ends of the raised bed, are a very light green to almost a yellow. I feel the beans and corn are lacking something. This is an all organic garden and my first one in 12 years so I'm a little rusty. I just purchased Alaska Fish Emulsion and thought that would help out the corn and beans. I think, and I'm guessing at this, the potatoes are using majority of the existing nitrogen that's in the soil. What are you using to keep everything there in your garden so green? Also a few of the leaves on my bean plants had a rusty look with a few pin holes. Would you know what might be causing that problem too? I clipped off all the rusty leaves from the plants and tossed them in the trash hoping I may have stopped the spread of some bad diease they might have acquired. I would appreciate any feed back and advice. Thank you
Cynlady

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/2/2011, 12:55 am

cynlady Very Happy thank you for the compliment!

this is my second year for SFG and first year with a garden in the ground......so I'm still new to gardening and still learning as I grow.....I'm also gardening with all organic fertilizers along with organic pest and disease control......

the three sisters garden is my new garden this year and we have planted it in the area of where our 15 + years compost pile use to be.....there use to be a apple tree in that area and is the place we would put all of our cut down limbs of other trees in our yard along with any extra grass clipping, leaves....stuff like that.....we never really maintain it as a compost.....never turning it or anything.....just over the years those things broke down into the soil.....we cut down the apple tree last year because it was really not doing well and the fruit that we got was not edible.....so we decided to put it to better use and grow a second garden......Smile

it was a lot of hard work clearing that area......along with nice composted matter there were left over sticks and such that needed to come out.....if you dig in there....you still have matter trying to compost LOL....the other frustrating part in there is the morning glory....it totally took over that area over the years......so we have ton's of vines......my husband call them an under ground high way of roots.....LOL....I'm really nervous that the morning glory is going to take over the beans and be the ones that climb up the corn LOL

when we planted we made mounds with the dirt that was there and added store bought compost to the tops of the mounds to make planting the corn, squash, pumpkins and beans easier......because there is still so much matter in the soil that is solid and needed to continue to break down....like lots of sticks....we weren't even sure anything would be able to grow in there.....LOL.....

the corn, squash and pumpkins we started inside by seed and transplanted them when the time was right for them to go out side....the beans we planted later by seed direct into the soil....we waited until the corn was at least six inch's high...

for fertilizer I use compost tea, Alaska fish em, organic miracle grow and dry fertilizer called Espoma Plant Tone......I don't fertilize on a schedule.....I'm trying to garden by learning from the plants what they need and when they need it.....when i see the leaves start to lighten up to a lighter color green or yellow i know they need some food.......the three sisters garden seems to love the compost tea and Alaska fish em the best Smile....not sure if this is the best way to go about it.....cause one of my tomato plants has bottom end rot...which is a lack of calcium......so we will see how the three sisters garden turns out Smile

LOL.....didn't mean to write so much.....i hope this helps
hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/2/2011, 1:00 am

oh....forgot to add.....potatoes and corn are heavy feeders....for your corn and potatoes i would give them a big drink of the fish em as directed on the label.....and see if that gets them back to a green color Very Happy wait a week and give them some more if your not seeing any changes Very Happy

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 7/2/2011, 7:50 am

I would be careful with the fish emulsion and root crops, the nitrogen in fish emulsion tends to make plants look very beautiful above ground while not doing much for the roots.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/8/2011, 2:32 am

so far so good Very Happy the only problem i have run into is with my soaker hose....this is the first year ever using one....i have only used it twice so far and it has sprung some leaks that are spraying istead of soaking Shocked

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 07_06_19

the corn is so pretty.....they are to get purple husks Very Happy
Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 07_06_21

i remember when they were tiny babies and thought they would never grow

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 07_06_22

the beans are climbing
Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 07_06_23

the kids are so excited to find female flowers on the pumpkins cheers
Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 07_06_24

hugs
rose who is having so much fun with the children in the garden.... sunny
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 Empty How do we protect the corn from raccoons?

Post  mijejo 7/8/2011, 12:44 pm

I check on my corn every morning. Now that the cobs are starting to swell, a critter is breaking stalks and chewing on the developing cobs. So, far it is only a few, but my corn needs more time.
I have a 4.5' fence around the yard. The garden is in one corner and is enclosed (within the larger fence) with an addition 3' garden fence.

I thought I read somewhere about putting a wrap around the developing husks. However, I have forgotten the details.
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/8/2011, 9:07 pm

The Native Americans who used the three sisters planting arrangement found that: the beans produced nitrogen that the corn could utilize; the beans used the corn stalks to grow up to the sunlight; and the squashes made a prickly barrier to keep out pests like raccoons, squirrels, etc. that desired a corn feast. Since planting a squash barrier around the corn, we've not lost a single ear to a four-footed pest, but we HAVE had some remarkable pumpkins! This year, we have planted the Three Sisters in a bale bed (six old hay bales with good soil halfway up in the center, then finished with Mel's Mix) and have mixed results. The bale corn is way ahead of the corn planted in the white man's traditional rows; the beans quickly outgrew the cornstalks, and had to have maple tree sprouts cut and inserted in the bed to provide support as they grew up; and six winter squash plants make too much huge leaves, with a tendency to shade the corn/beans. Next time, I'll just plant 4 squashes in the corners and encourage them to vine over the side or up the fence behind. The bale bed warmed up earlier in the spring, and now generates heat which encourages the plants inside to outdo themselves--read, mature sooner. Definitely will try this experiment again next year. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 7/12/2011, 7:47 pm

I'm a couple days early or a few weeks behind...

The first row of corn is doing great!

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 20110712

The beans are getting taller, but not by a whole lot. I'm just so excited anyway!! I don't care if I get beans or not! =)
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/13/2011, 2:11 am

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 86751 wow your corn looks great!!!!

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 7/13/2011, 8:37 am

Thanks Rose! I've never grown corn before, so I'm just tickled! I hope the rest of the rows grow up like this one did. It's still an experiment and I'm keeping an open mind so far.
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/15/2011, 2:18 am

well didnt get any pictures today.....its raining again here....i did go out and check the gardens....and wow....just from a couple days of rain....the corn is taller then me and the pumpkins and squash have grown taller and wider Shocked

the way the garden is set up we only really have one way in and one way out....not sure how we are going to get in there to harvest anything....LOL....its a jungle in there!

hugs
rose....who was happy to get some rain for the gardens but hopes to see the sun soon!
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  AprilakaCCIL 7/15/2011, 8:42 pm

Okay here is my Three Sisters SFG Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 Ccil_t10

I got Sweet Corn, Squash, Italian Pole Bean, Sunflowers, Borage Starflower, Wildflowers & Broccoli in the lower bottom raised bed.

Hope all comes out right and we have some good eats. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

AprilakaCCIL
AprilakaCCIL

Female Posts : 219

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/17/2011, 4:57 pm

april your three sisters look great!

we were able to get a couple of pic's between rain fall yesterday Very Happy

its a jungle!....not sure how we are going to get in there when its time to harvest....fingers crossed it will keep the coons out as well!!

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 07_16_13

pumpkins and squash are are doing a great job guarding the corn and beans!

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 07_16_14

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  capatl 7/17/2011, 9:41 pm

Beautiful gardens! I'm in my first season of gardening experience and do a garden with my summer camp. I wish I had known about this "Three Sisters" companion gardening before we planted. Ties in a great lesson in Native American history too, HUGE plus!

We do have corn (just over knee high) and some pumpkin, watermelon (both just starting to blossom), and squash in our non SFG (another thing I wish I had known about before hand) row garden. blush

Do you think it would still work well to sow some beans near the corn and can you all suggest a typically faster producing, reliable variety?

@April, where in zone 7 are you? I am in Atlanta, I was a bit worried that we were getting our plants in a bit late. Did you select varieties that mature quickly, or is it more common than I realized to sow these veggies midsummer? I wouldn't mind sowing a few more corn! flower
capatl

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/18/2011, 2:42 am

this is only my second year of gardening.....so im still learning....but...i think if you planted a bush bean it would produce faster then a pole bean would....Very Happy

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  AprilakaCCIL 7/18/2011, 4:34 pm

Thank you Rose & capatl I love you

@capatl -- I used the planting schedule here according to our zone.
The Vegetable Garden

I planted my corn on July 5th and then some more on July 12th in another raised bed.

I'm 15 miles south of Griffin GA. (zone 7b) I love you

I planted the Sweet Corn (Early & Often Hybrid) by Burpee **64 Days --purchased @ Home Depo
& Italian Pole Beans **60-70 Days & Lioness F-1 Summer Squash **45-55 Days from Seeds of Change website.

Also refer here for great growing tips for our area
The University Of Georgia
AprilakaCCIL
AprilakaCCIL

Back to top Go down

Post  capatl 7/18/2011, 8:43 pm

Thanks April! That website has been bookmarked and the planting guide and calendar printed! Very Happy

I really like that it combines 7-8, as I am on the southern side of Atlanta (just south of I20) and I feel the we typically get away with a later, less severe frost date than most of Atlanta.

So nice to meet another fellow Georgian! cheers
capatl

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  AprilakaCCIL 7/19/2011, 10:05 am

Your welcome capatl flower

Excited to meet another fellow Georgian as well. cheers cheers cheers
AprilakaCCIL
AprilakaCCIL

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/22/2011, 12:36 am

a few changes in our three sisters garden Very Happy

we have purple tassels starting to show Very Happy
Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 07_21_27

beans climbing, holding and securing the corn from the wind
Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 07_21_28

pumpkins guarding the garden from the coon's
Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 07_21_30

squash providing shade
Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 07_21_31

what a wonderful family garden Very Happy the three sisters!
Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 07_21_32

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  AprilakaCCIL 7/22/2011, 1:17 am

Looks great Rose

Mine-is-a-growin' Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 274447

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 Three_12
AprilakaCCIL
AprilakaCCIL

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/22/2011, 1:47 am

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 802240 wow they sure are April!!! Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 802240

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  AprilakaCCIL 7/28/2011, 8:35 pm

Growin' fast. After 4 days of rain and wind, having to battle the leaf munchers. Evil or Very Mad

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 7-28-210
AprilakaCCIL
AprilakaCCIL

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/29/2011, 1:07 am

wow April they are growin fast!....the garden looks great!

After getting a few days of sun and some good compost tea....our corn is making baby ears Very Happy we were so excited to find two babies with very fine hair Laughing

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 07_28_11

here is the first baby close up.....i think she is so pretty and cute!

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 07_28_10

I tried to stand in the thick of it to get a picture.....its turned into a wild jungle....the pumpkins have been making fruit...then it just falls off and it looks mushy on the ends Sad ....the squash plants are huge, lush and green but havent made any fruit yet No ....the beans are still climbing and a few of them look like they are going to flower flower

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 07_28_12

over all i think the three sisters are doing really well....we are hoping for a warmer aug!

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 2 07_28_14

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/29/2011, 9:31 am

How many are you growing per square?

They sure are lookin' good. I think I'll have to try that next year.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next