Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Opinions Please - Tomatoes will ripen while I'm gone Toplef10Opinions Please - Tomatoes will ripen while I'm gone 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Opinions Please - Tomatoes will ripen while I'm gone I22gcj10Opinions Please - Tomatoes will ripen while I'm gone 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Opinions Please - Tomatoes will ripen while I'm gone Toplef10Opinions Please - Tomatoes will ripen while I'm gone 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Opinions Please - Tomatoes will ripen while I'm gone I22gcj10Opinions Please - Tomatoes will ripen while I'm gone 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Opinions Please - Tomatoes will ripen while I'm gone

+3
bev
The Cat's Other Mother
sfg4uKim
7 posters

Go down

Opinions Please - Tomatoes will ripen while I'm gone Empty Opinions Please - Tomatoes will ripen while I'm gone

Post  sfg4uKim 6/3/2011, 9:43 pm

HELP!

I'm going to visit my husband overseas for 3 weeks. Of course it will probably coincide with the time my San Marzano tomatoes are ready to harvest.

My 28 YO son will be staying at the house to take care of the dogs (and hopefully water). BUT I doubt he'll want to roast tomatoes & make sauce. Very Happy

SOOOOOO can I have him wash & freeze them and then can I thaw them and make sauce when I return?

If not, what should I do?

Thanks,
Kim

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Opinions Please - Tomatoes will ripen while I'm gone WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Opinions Please - Tomatoes will ripen while I'm gone Empty Re: Opinions Please - Tomatoes will ripen while I'm gone

Post  The Cat's Other Mother 6/3/2011, 10:00 pm

I can't think of why not. I froze a lot of my tomatoes last year and they worked great later for sauce, stews and soups. I peeled mine and chopped them a bit first, but I googled 'freeze tomatoes whole' and evidently it is done. Looks like some sites do want you to remove the skin and stem scar first, and I'm guessing it would be a pain to do that to a frozen tomato, but it seems possible if you don't think he's up to that.
The Cat's Other Mother

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Opinions Please - Tomatoes will ripen while I'm gone Empty Re: Opinions Please - Tomatoes will ripen while I'm gone

Post  bev 6/3/2011, 11:29 pm

I do remove the skins before freezing them but I know someone who just washes and freezes them intact. She says she just runs hot tap water over them (still frozen) and the skins slip right off. The reasons I skin them first is to get rid of all the mess and also I can just open the bag and put them frozen into things.
bev

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/4/2011, 12:23 am

Do paste tomatoes work like any other? Can you just pick them a bit early when they first show yellow and put them in a paper bag or dark place to let them ripen on their own? That method seemed to work for other tomatoes like Early Girl and Big Boy last year for me when the season expired.

Any chance you can leave nothing to chance?
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 6/4/2011, 12:00 pm

Email Rachel Ray that is her most prized variety of tomato. San Marzano is a fairly tender one. If he could wash and freeze them you probably would be close to fine.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  Denese 6/4/2011, 12:48 pm

I've washed and frozen Romas in the past without peeling. When I was ready, I just thawed them, and the skins came right off. I then removed the stem end and prepared as usual. Works great when they all ripen at the same time like Romas and you can't get to the sauce making and/or canning immediately. Very Happy

Happy Gardening!
Denese flower
Denese
Denese

Female Posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 6/4/2011, 2:53 pm

Thanks everyone!

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com

Opinions Please - Tomatoes will ripen while I'm gone WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 6/5/2011, 12:33 pm

Just wanted to let you know, I did it and it was fine. I froze (can't remember which kind) whole tomatoes with only a quick wash and dry. Popped them in bags and took out as needed. They clatter together like pool balls, lol. As they thaw, the skins slip right off. Not good for much else besides making sauce or using in cooked items, but taste great.
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 6/5/2011, 3:42 pm

That's OK because San Marzanos are specifically sauce tomatoes. I may convince him to "fire roast" a few of them (or maybe all of them if I'm lucky).

I put drip hoses in the veggie bed (2'x23') as well as my flower bed in the front yard (not SFG) plus added mulch in the front to make it as easy as possible for him. Gonna harvest the rest of the lettuce, the snow peas, and 2 ripe cabbages before I leave.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down