Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. Toplef10Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. I22gcj10Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. Toplef10Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. I22gcj10Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest)..

+36
tkdtara84
JustMe
HouseofWool
FarmerValerie
MarcyG
shocks20
Squat_Johnson
Kelejan
stripesmom
ChicagoLaura
Denese
mijejo
herblover
Hyzleyes
unmadecastle
westie42
HieronRemade
jymarino
CindiLou
Suzy
Furbalsmom
ErinL
laurainwinona
Aub
MasonGarden
busygirl
pattipan
WolfHeart
randomsideizzie
Goosegirl
nancy
Amy T
boog1
Smartchick
Blackrose
BackyardBirdGardner
40 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. Empty Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest)..

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/17/2011, 10:27 am

Welcome, Midwesterners, to the Tomato Tuesday Thread for 2011's growing season. This should be a very fun idea to play around with until our frosts get us this fall.

The basic idea is to update the status of your tomatoes each Tuesday. Talk about what you want. What you are proud of; what you are puzzled by; etc. Any serious or "pest" type questions should go in a separate thread. This thread is for bragging about our maters, mostly.

This was a brilliant idea from Pattipan that I, and possibly others, are just straight copying/stealing. Almost all of us grow tomatoes. That makes this an easy thread to get everyone involved with. So, let's get active and let's post up our tomato reports.

One word of caution....keep next week's update in THIS thread. We don't need to start individual threads for people or weeks. This should be a huge thread by our autumn frost dates that we can all look back inside and see what a great season we all had.

Happy Gardening!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. Empty Re: Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest)..

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/17/2011, 10:44 am

Here we go with my update for Week 20 of the year, May 17, 2011.

I am currently growing 3 diffferent varieties of tomatoes. I'm not a fancy gardener. I grow what my family will eat. SuperSweet100 cherry tomatoes (well, and a grape variety that I consider the same for all intents and purposes), Beefsteak tomatoes (for slicing and putting on those burgers and sandwiches), and Better Boy (my tomato starts from seed that are also for salads and tacos and whatnot).

I can tell you that I used to plant deep....dig a big hole and plant up to the tip of the tomatoes. This year, I tried the horizontal method either mentioned in the book or elsewhere. I think it's great! Those plants popped right up and are growing straighter than if I planted them vertically...lol. I imagine this is largely because the MM is so loose. Those roots are likely taking off underneath the surface.

In this first view, I ran lengthwise down my 2x8 dedidicated bed for tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers. I have a couple squares of broccoli in there that didn't have a home back in early March, so they landed here. If you look down the length, my BetterBoys are in the foreground next to the cucumber sprouts. Then, the BeefSteaks for three squares. Finally, the Cherries are the back two squares.

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. 5730416152_e4d0f144aa_z

Low-angle shot to show a better idea of their size. They have been in the ground about three weeks now and have just taken off like mad...

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. 5729867829_19e45483a1_z

And, finally, a quick shot of the front view of my BeefSteaks. The broccoli in the foreground is for size relation. The broccoli is around 18 inches tall as of today. The tomatoes are catching up fast...

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. 5729870551_582a310156_z

Now, you go!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. Empty Re: Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest)..

Post  Blackrose 5/17/2011, 10:52 am

Ok! My turn!

My tomatoes are about 8 weeks old and are more than ready to get outside in the SFG! Now if the weather would just cooperate. They are getting sooooo big.

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. Tomato30

I'm also going to try planting them by laying them on their sides. They're so big though, I may have to figure out how I'm then going to get them up the spirals without breaking the vines. I may have to slowly work them towards the spirals.

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. High_Jump
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  Smartchick 5/17/2011, 11:29 am

Well, so far I have 4 rieties in the ground and one hardening off this week to join them. I have Fox Cherry (red cherry), Orange Van Goeijenbier (orange cherry), Isis Candy (yellow cherry), and two Amish Paste planted with two Sausage (long Romas) ready to go in the ground as soon as they are hardened off this week. I'm ready to make lots of spaghetti sauce and frozen tomatoes this summer (oh yeah, and eat some too). Right now they are still under their milk jug shelters for a few weeks - something my Gram always did and I do to. These are all starts that I grew from seeds from Wintersown. Woo hoo! They are all still alive despite two days of 90+ degrees followed by a frost. Gotta love Nebraska weather. Evil or Very Mad

I'll take some pictures to show as soon as I'm comfortable taking the covers off. They are not too exciting right now!
Smartchick
Smartchick

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 5/17/2011, 12:20 pm

heres a pic of the "organic" yellow pear in frount of the slider yellow are supose to be less acidic than red are least thats what the "other half" heard anyways. as the moment they are over a foot tall. these have been in frount of the south facing slider for a month. these were started on the 26th of march

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. Pict0011

heres a pic of the jet star hybred i bought last year i started almost a month later they are close to 8 inchs already. these i jus started on the under the grow light jus to see if the seeds were any good they spent the winter in the shed. not sure if you can see in the pic is the chew holes something got hungry. last year we planted 6 of these not knowing how big theyed get by the end of summer they were close to 5 foot tall and 3 foot around was not fun tryin ta stake and tie these things up, so this year i was thinkin of going with that thing called "esparing"< sp> tieing it to a trellis i guess is the best way to explain it. today is the only day theres just a chance of showers, the next 7 days according the weather channel is not lookin so bright mostly rain,rain, and more rain. Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. 926169

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. Pict0012

boog
boog1
boog1

Male Posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/17/2011, 1:05 pm

Great starts, guys. I can't wait to watch all of us through summer when things really get rocking!

Blackrose, good luck getting those planted deep w/o a backhoe! Wow, those are tall.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 5/17/2011, 1:16 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:Great starts, guys. I can't wait to watch all of us through summer when things really get rocking!

Blackrose, good luck getting those planted deep w/o a backhoe! Wow, those are tall.

I know!!! I may have started them a little early. Laughing

Oh well. Live and learn. Hopefully they still give me lots of tomatoes!
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy T 5/17/2011, 1:34 pm

Good to know the vertical method works. Just curious- did you plant any of the side shoots like the book suggests & did it work? Everyone's maters look great! Good luck getting the tall ones planted- hope it all works out.
Amy T

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 5/17/2011, 5:30 pm

Here are my babies. I had every intention of getting them in the ground this past weekend; however, the highs the past few days have been in the low 50s. I thought that would have been mean since they have spent their whole lives in the kitchen windows and that would have been too extreme I felt. Hopefully this weekend...

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. 20110515

Front left: Riesentraube, Baswraya, and Gold Medal
Back left: Big Boy, and Ananas Noire

The kitchen will lonely without them!
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/17/2011, 10:06 pm

My first round of tomatoes I accidentally crisped, so round 2 was planted in the little peat plugs about 10 days ago. Measuring at 2 inches tall and only seed leaves, I have:

For Sauce:

Banana Legs
Purple Russian
Russian Big Roma

For Fun:

Manitoba
Porter's Dark Cherry
Roughwood Golden Plum

Pics will come if they survive Hubby's care while I am on a 5-day hiking trip.

TC

PS - will miss next Tuesday post because I will be on the last day of the hike!

Last edited by Goosegirl on 5/17/2011, 10:08 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added PS)
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. Empty Tomato day!

Post  randomsideizzie 5/18/2011, 4:06 pm

I just received my tomato plants in the mail.

Here is what I am planting this year:

3 Little Mamas
3 Steak Sandwich
3 2 Super Sweet 100s (one arrived snapped in half Sad )

They will probably go in the ground tomorrow or Friday. I will take photos once they are not so sad looking and in their permanent home.
randomsideizzie
randomsideizzie

Female Posts : 11

http://alookontherandomside.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  WolfHeart 5/19/2011, 7:31 am

better late then never Very Happy

I took these shots of my maters on Tuesday this is just the first moment that i have had to post them.

This is my better boy mater:
Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. Img_5119

and I got these from Marvin's Organic, they are San Marzano's a paste type mater:
Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. Img_5121

I took a sucker off on of the maters and have it in water now...going to try to propagate it so i can have two of the same type just for fun Very Happy
WolfHeart
WolfHeart

Male Posts : 159

http://wolfheart68.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. Empty Tomato Week 21..(May 24)

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/24/2011, 9:59 am

Here we go. Not much has changed in the tomato garden, except the growth. I put up the trellis and they are reaching it now....about 8-10 inches off the ground. They are growing pretty quickly...

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. 5754376621_ced67ba86a
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 5/24/2011, 11:33 am

heres a couple pics of mine transplanted friday the 20th the first pic is one of the 'yellow pear' that was under the grow light for a month, then in the south facing slider another month then hardened off before getting tranplanted.

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. Pict0024

now heres what happens when ya get greedy/stupid or any combo of the two this was under the grow light a month, half as tall as the other didnt get hardened off an you can see how sorry it looks, more than likly wont make it.

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. Pict0025
boog1
boog1

Male Posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 5/24/2011, 7:10 pm

Ours went into the ground last Thursday. The deer found them yesterday. Sad First is kid's Bed #2

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. 20110516

Front row: Ananas Noire, Marigold, Gold Medal
Middle Row: Marigold, Gold Medal, Marigold
Back Row: Big Boy, Marigold, Ananas Noire

The deer ate the Gold Medals. I will try to direct seed them in case they don't grow new leaves.

Here is the Summer Bed:

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. 20110517

It has both Baswrayas, a Big Boy, and a Riesentraube, but I'm not sure which is which at the moment. The other Riesentraube is in Kid's Bed #1 and the 3rd Ananas Noire is at home. So far, so good. The weather has been great - warm & humid with great storms the past few days. Everyone seems very happy. I hope to spend some time with them tomorrow after work to "tidy" up. Happy Tomato Tuesday!!
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 5/24/2011, 7:23 pm

nancy wrote:
It has both Baswrayas, a Big Boy, and a Riesentraube, but I'm not sure which is which at the moment. The other Riesentraube is in Kid's Bed #1 and the 3rd Ananas Noire is at home. So far, so good. The weather has been great - warm & humid with great storms the past few days. Everyone seems very happy. I hope to spend some time with them tomorrow after work to "tidy" up. Happy Tomato Tuesday!!

Nancy,
I had to read that last paragraph twice. At first I thought you were talking about your kids, then I realized your were talking about your tomatoes! Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. 421549

You know you're a SFG'er when you talk about your tomatoes like they were your children! LOL!

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 5/24/2011, 8:11 pm

Sorry pattipan! I have a head full of yuckiness and I'm afraid I'm not making much sense to anyone right now. Ugh!!

I have one kid and she has two beds: Bed #1 and Bed #2. Very Happy That's just how we refer to them. Hee hee.
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 5/24/2011, 8:15 pm

No need to apologize! I got a good laugh out of it! See this thread for more "You Know You're a SFG'er when" humor...

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t5647-you-know-you-re-a-square-foot-gardener-when

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  Smartchick 5/25/2011, 4:08 am

Well, if we could get more than a day or two without hail in the forecast, I'd remove the covers from my maters so you could see them! Smile Is it sad when you are standing at the sliding door yelling at the storm "stop hailing on my garden!". Tomatoes are doing good and all in the garden now. Added the two sausage tomatoes and a yellow pear that I was given. So far all of the ones I grew from seed are still alive and kickin' so I consider that a success in and of itself!
Smartchick
Smartchick

Back to top Go down

Post  busygirl 5/31/2011, 7:49 pm

Black Krim
Koralik Cherry
Brandywine
Caspian Pink
Martinos Roma
Thessaloniki

All heirlooms I started from seed. Don't know how to post pics yet, and haven't taken any for a week or so, but next time I have a chance to check out the help thread I will figure it out and edit this to add a pic or two.

Right now working on getting trellises up. My plan is to put one trellis between two rows and "double up."
busygirl
busygirl

Female Posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/31/2011, 7:55 pm

Awesome! Thanks for bumping this today; it almost got by me. I'm in the peak of my mowing season right now and things slip my mind even easier than usual. Rolling Eyes

Here is the update of mine. They are as tall as the broccoli now. I am suckering and using the trellis as they climb. Personally, I don't want to see fruit yet, so I am picking off blossoms until I get more tomato vine going in hopes of getting more fruit production later. But, around Father's Day I will let them set fruit, weather permitting.

That's another thing...today is in the 90s, and it will be all week. That's a little hot for the maters to set fruit from their blossoms. I feel I may as well pick them off and not disappoint myself with wishful thinking so early in the mater season.

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. 5781771490_ce6d84776f

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. 5781778316_1d50d1428c

Happy Tuesday, all!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 5/31/2011, 8:57 pm

Considering how hot it has been - and it hasn't rained since Thursday - my little corner of the world is doing really well. We bought knee highs & several bars of Irish Spring as Deer Remedy #1. So far, so good. Kid loved hanging them! I've been looking for pinwheels to add, but cannot find them. I'll keep looking. They sill be fun in addition to being Deer Remedy #2, which hasn't been needed yet.

Here is Kid Bed #2 aka the Tomato Bed. Both Gold Medals are coming back. We added a basil on the left. The Big Boy in the back doesn't seem very happy. It leaves are curled tight in a ball. I haven't seen that before.

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. 20110519

Here is the Summer Bed. I added the stevia on the left. I can't remember if the cilantro and parsley were in last week, but they are in now. The lettuce is just begging to be picked! I had hoped to clean up and finish this bed over the long weekend, but it didn't happen. I didn't pull very many weeds, either. Ah well. When the pool calls, the weeds have to wait. Cool

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. 20110517

It's been upper 80s / mid 90s all weekend. The time / temp sign on my way home said 97* today. Ugh! Not very motivating. All I had time for tonite was watering & pictures. I really want more time down there to talk to my babies!
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 5/31/2011, 9:22 pm

Nancy, I saw 97 degrees on my thermometer as well and gulped. Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. 43549 I got such a late start on my garden, that I hope that my transplants can make it. I transplanted a Cherry and a Cherokee Purple that I got from Glendale-Gardener (Thanks, Jennifer!), a Beefsteak from Marvin's Garden Center, and Yellow Pear, Matt's Wild Cherry, and San Marzano from seed on the 21st. I had to go out of town this past weekend, so my beds were a bit thirsty when I got back, but the seeds all germinated! (tomatoes are in the back row and on each end of the row just in front of that in the photo below) I don't have any flowers yet, but if any show up, I guess I'll need to pinch them off anyway. I do need to get a trellis set up though before they go through a growth spurt!

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. 1_mont20 Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. 43549
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/31/2011, 9:30 pm

I have 24 seedlings that will hopefully be ready to go into the ground by next weekend. Round 1 got crisped, so Round 2 is a bit behind, but considering my frost date just passed and I usually don't get my tomatoes in the ground until the middle of June due to scatterbrainedness, I feel ahead of schedule! My tomatoes are the last thing that needs to go into the ground until it is time for succession crops.

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Aub 5/31/2011, 11:22 pm

I just noticed that my Super Sweet 100 has a little bud on it. Very Happy Should I pinch them off when I see them? It's not very tall yet, maybe 10 inches. I'm so excited for them to do something I don't know if I could pinch them!
The Roma's are getting huge. And 2 of the 4 that I got as seeds from Dixie are doing great, 1 got eaten by a bunny and the other is only 3 inches tall. Hopefully I can get a picture up tomorrow morning.

Last edited by Aub on 5/31/2011, 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Aub
Aub

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next