Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Vermicomposting (worms inside!) - Page 2 Toplef10Vermicomposting (worms inside!) - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Vermicomposting (worms inside!) - Page 2 I22gcj10Vermicomposting (worms inside!) - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Vermicomposting (worms inside!) - Page 2 Toplef10Vermicomposting (worms inside!) - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Vermicomposting (worms inside!) - Page 2 I22gcj10Vermicomposting (worms inside!) - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Vermicomposting (worms inside!)

+18
miinva
madnicmom
junequilt
etimmer
zornitza
nidiyao
choksaw
Retired Member 1
Shoda
rob.emenaker
titans01
dixie
Daynannan
Josh
chocolatepop
timwardell
jjphoto
orionsbelt
22 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Vermicomposting (worms inside!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Vermicomposting (worms inside!)

Post  jjphoto 3/28/2010, 9:41 pm

Bummer - that's where I was looking at ordering from. Vermicomposting (worms inside!) - Page 2 Icon_cry
jjphoto
jjphoto

Male Posts : 125

http://www.lifewithduchess.com

Back to top Go down

Vermicomposting (worms inside!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Vermicomposting (worms inside!)

Post  orionsbelt 3/29/2010, 3:13 am

I've heard recommendations of Willingham Worm Farm in Georgia from someone (Joe Keyser) who was in a video put out by the Virginia cooperative extension.

To quote from Keyser's blog:

I've been doing wormy business with Sybil Willingham (chief worm
wrangler) for more than a dozen years, and Sybil has supplied worms to
hundreds upon hundreds of classrooms, where said wigglers were enjoyed
and studied by tens of thousands of students.

Here are the details:

<blockquote>Worms-$13.00 per lb.
Postage 1 lb- $8.00
2-5 lb in bulk postage $10.35

To order, said a check or money order to:

Willingham Worm Farm
74 S. Collins St.
Reynolds, GA 31076</blockquote>
This
is a low-tech, low overhead outfit; no fancy websites, credit card
orders, and the like. If you want those features, feel free to pay
twice as much and order online (chances are that Sybil is still the
woman providing the worms -- an industry secret I'll carry to the
grave).

Please note that Sybil will not ship in a week with a
postal holiday. And shipments are sent only on Mondays. Orders received
by Thursday will go out on Monday.

For more information -- but NO ORDERS -- contact Sybil directly: wworm@pstel.net
orionsbelt
orionsbelt

Back to top Go down

Vermicomposting (worms inside!) - Page 2 Empty Worm Vendor

Post  nidiyao 3/29/2010, 7:31 am

I just bought 1/2 lb. red wigglers online from gawigglers through ebay. They have 69 reviews, 100% of which are positive, no neutrals or negatives. I will report back on my purchase after I receive. He seems a tiny bit pricey, but shipping is included.
Sandy
nidiyao
nidiyao

Female Posts : 56

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 3/29/2010, 7:35 am

Thanks for the ordering info. You can also buy red wigglers at most bait shops. They are a staple of fisherman and women. Just be sure you are getting red wigglers and not earthworms.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 3/29/2010, 7:46 am

shoda wrote:Hello, I am new to the forums and live in the San Francisco Bay area. Last August, I purchased a Gusantio Worm Farm (5-stack trays with roof) off Ebay.

-- Lisa

Thank you for the info on this. What is the advantage of the 4 tray over the 5? Just more compost ready to be used? I can't believe I'm really thinking of doing this. However, in the late '70s vermiculture was the rage in Texas -- sort of like a "get rich quick scheme". I looked into then but the systems were large-scale and up-front costs very expensive. So this kind of system looks more manegable.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  nidiyao 3/29/2010, 7:59 am

I am making "trays" out of cheap 7 dollar storage containers from Walmart. Very little to do to get them ready - really just drill a few holes, and I don't want to spend the money on a "worm farm" if I can make a reasonable facsimile. I've got better things to spend the money on - like seeds and plants hahaha

Sandy
nidiyao
nidiyao

Back to top Go down

Post  zornitza 3/29/2010, 8:20 am

Nidiyao, can you post a picture of your walmart bin trays? I am very curious! Thanks!
zornitza

Back to top Go down

Post  nidiyao 3/29/2010, 8:32 am

I will post a picture soon.
Here's a link to the "system" I'm using. http://working-worms.com/content/view/40/62/
It seems pretty straight forward, bought 3 bins yesterday at walmart. Waiting for someone (DH) to drill holes, I might use an icepick and do it myself today!
Gotta be ready for them worms!

Sandy
nidiyao
nidiyao

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 3/30/2010, 9:48 pm

Wow, I really like that DIY system. Let us know what it ends up costing you to set it up.

-- Lisa
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Post  choksaw 3/31/2010, 1:13 am

Nidiyao thanx for the heads up on Uncle jims after reading som eof the feedback i have decided i will lokk elsewhere fo rmy little wiggly buddies Vermicomposting (worms inside!) - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 3/31/2010, 11:05 am

Oh wow on uncle Jim's. That is where I ordered my worms from, 3 separate times with no hitches.

There is also a woman in Michigan who is very popular:

http://www.wormwoman.com/acatalog/Wormwoman_catalog_Redworms__Eisenia_fetida__43.html
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nidiyao 3/31/2010, 11:08 am

I think my worms should arrive today - very excited. We are busy thinking up 800 names now!
geek
Sandy
nidiyao
nidiyao

Back to top Go down

Post  etimmer 3/31/2010, 11:09 am

So excited to see this topic pop up here. I started worm composting last fall. Being in zone 5 they weren't very active over the winter because I kept them in the garage, but they are becoming quite active now. I did a DIY with the storage bins and they have worked out well.
etimmer
etimmer

Female Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  nidiyao 3/31/2010, 11:11 am

shoda wrote:Wow, I really like that DIY system. Let us know what it ends up costing you to set it up.

-- Lisa

Well, I spent $4.50 per tote x 3 = 13.50
Then $22 for worms.
That's it - total = $35.50
There shouldn't be any other expenses in future, the totes should last about 10,000 yrs, right?

You can undoubtedly find worms at a local bait shop cheaper...

Sandy
nidiyao
nidiyao

Back to top Go down

Post  etimmer 3/31/2010, 11:12 am

I forgot to mention that I found my worms on craigslist and was very pleased! He was about 1 hour away and met me halfway and even checked in on "us" a few times since. Recently I found a local lady (in my same town) who practically was giving the worms away as she gets more than she can handle.
etimmer
etimmer

Female Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  nidiyao 3/31/2010, 11:13 am

Maybe it's worth posting a "wanted" ad on freecycle for worms. That would be a great idea if the right person reads it!
Sandy
nidiyao
nidiyao

Back to top Go down

Vermicomposting (worms inside!) - Page 2 Empty Report on GAwigglers

Post  nidiyao 3/31/2010, 4:27 pm

The worms arrived today in great condition, nicely packed. I'm sure they will be just wonderful. So thumbs up on this company.
Sandy
nidiyao
nidiyao

Back to top Go down

Vermicomposting (worms inside!) - Page 2 Empty Vermicomposting (worms inside!)

Post  junequilt 4/1/2010, 5:33 pm

My redworms live happily in two outdoor bins. You can use just about anything that has reasonable mass, drainage, and at least some ventilation.

Every spring I spend several hours removing my worms from their old bedding. Then I use the bedding as compost/soil conditioner. My husband thinks I'm nuts because I try to separate all the living worms and their cocoons from the bedding, but it's actually kinda fun and very relaxing. And the old bedding is full of worm castings and makes great soil conditioner.
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 2/2/2011, 4:32 pm

Has anyone tried buying from http://www.wormsway.com/
I live close to the KY store but I think they are shipped out of Indy.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 2/2/2011, 4:37 pm

I'm glad this topic popped up again! My source for worm castings moved away so it looks like I'm going to have to make some myself. I haven't decided how I'm going to make that happen yet...
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 2/2/2011, 5:19 pm

I would love to hear from you worm folks how things have gone - I am wanting to try it. DH, usually so supportive, needs a little convincing, so the more info I have the more likely I am to win him over!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/2/2011, 7:09 pm

martha.....
I'm into my 3rd year with worms. I have a worm condo with 3-floors but in the winter I only use one floor because its inside and I don't have that many scraps to feed the worms and since they regulate their own numbers, more when more food, less when less food, I keep the condo in my bathroom.
Vermicomposting (worms inside!) - Page 2 12-01-11
They do NOT smell so they are fine in the house.
In May I put the condo out under the shade of trees to keep them out of the sunshine in the warm summer. They thrive and make compost. In Sept or Oct., depending on the temps., I harvest my compost and put in in buckets to use in my garden. No turning a pile, no layering with greens and browns, I just let the worms do all the work and this is the result:
Vermicomposting (worms inside!) - Page 2 09-17-11
You can't beat that. Kitchen scraps into divine compost with no effort on my part except to feed them kitchen scraps and shredded newspaper.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  The Cat's Other Mother 2/2/2011, 9:37 pm

I just set up my worms in bins I made myself from rubbermaid containers. I've been having some escapees, and I am not sure I like this system yet. It is difficult to tell how things are going in there, but periodic checks show at least some of them are still in there!
The Cat's Other Mother

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  janefss2002 2/2/2011, 10:01 pm

We started out with a Worm Factory, original (bought from Amazon.com) with worms from a local worm "rancher" (good product! http://www.txwormranch.com/ ) a year ago December. Our colony of worms (or "herd" here in Tx Smile ) grew so much we used a tray ready to harvest to start our Worm Factory 360 (also Amazon.com) this past summer.

We keep the "herds" inside in the laundry room. Both are happy. We needed the 2 systems to meet our Kitchen waste. We collect 2 types of Kitchen waste:
In- OK for worms, priority
Out- Stuff not for worms (aka, onion waste, citrus, etc), and overflow (worm collection pail full)- goes in outdoor compost system

The 2 Worm Factory systems work very well for us. Hubby wanted Worm Factory over Rubbermaid, and I accepted (in spite of cost) cause that got me the worms. He is an engineer, but don't be dazzled, he's an electrical engineer; so shuh, I just let him think he knew what he was doing, I wanted the worms affraid
We both like the 360 over the original...better engineered Very Happy

Hope our experience helps.
Worms are the best cheers
Jane
janefss2002
janefss2002

Female Posts : 116

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 2/2/2011, 10:45 pm

quiltbea, that is some super poop!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next