Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Tuesday/Middle South Toplef10Tomato Tuesday/Middle South 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Tuesday/Middle South I22gcj10Tomato Tuesday/Middle South 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Tuesday/Middle South Toplef10Tomato Tuesday/Middle South 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Tuesday/Middle South I22gcj10Tomato Tuesday/Middle South 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tomato Tuesday/Middle South

+4
GreenBlueberry
jazzymaddy
dizzygardener
pattipan
8 posters

Go down

Tomato Tuesday/Middle South Empty Tomato Tuesday/Middle South

Post  pattipan 5/19/2011, 11:38 am

Welcome to the first installment of Tomato Tuesday 2011!!

First off you are probably wondering what Tomato Tuesday is, right? It's simply a weekly report or update on how our tomatoes are progressing. Join in and post your reports . It doesn't have to be a long drawn out report and it is not required, but it will be fun and informative to read about how other tomatoes in your region progress throughout the season. It's one of the things we hold in common as a region.

Very easy guidelines for posting your Tomato Tuesday reports...

• Have fun with this!
  • Report only on Tuesday if at all possible.
  • Use this same thread to post your reports through the end of the season. In other words, don't start a new thread each Tuesday. That way it will be easy to find this thread next week. It will be one looooong thread by October.
  • Other regional forums may start a Tomato Tuesday as well, double-check that you are in the Middle South forum when you post your report.
  • Refer to first guideline.
Anyone can post their tomato report. Don't wait! You can check the other regional forums that have Tomato Tuesdays going on if you want to see what others are posting about.

Got tomatoes? We want to hear about them!
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Tomato Tuesday/Middle South Empty Re: Tomato Tuesday/Middle South

Post  dizzygardener 5/24/2011, 11:39 am

Patti, Thank you for posting this thread up for me in my absence.

I'll do the first update and let's see where this takes us.

Tuesday May 24[u]

I only have two tomatoes outside right now. They are both Siberian Tomatoes:
Tomato Tuesday/Middle South Siberi10 Tomato Tuesday/Middle South Siberi11

You'll notice some white discoloration on the bottom leaves. That is sun burn. Apparently, I did not harden them off well enough before I put them outside, and they struggled for 4 or 5 days, but as you can tell from the new growth on top, they are recovering nicely.

The rest of my tomatoes are still in the house (unfortunately).

Tomato Tuesday/Middle South Tomwin10
Tomato Tuesday/Middle South Tomwin11

The peas that I planted in March have only just started to bloom, and they are in the squares that the tomatoes are supposed to go in. This set back is going to mean that I won't have the rest of my Indeterminate tomatoes in until the second week of June.
Sad

I'm hardening off the rest of my determinate tomatoes now, and they should be in their buckets this weekend.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 5/24/2011, 11:48 am

Ooh, ooh, my turn!

My Brandywine has a TOMATO on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My girls got all concerned when I told them the name of this type because we don't drink. "Wine, Mom?!?" Smile I've suckered it, and it seems to be growing well. I also cut off a couple of leaf branches because they were getting too big, and in the way of my trellissing.
Tomato Tuesday/Middle South P1010812

My Better Boy got, um, scalped. I accidentally pruned off the growing tip, and am still waiting for another one to show up. Here's hoping. But the blossoms are turning brown, which I'm assuming means that maters are on their way. Smile (I think the orangish cast on the leaves and stem is reflection from the box. I didn't notice it until I looked at the picture.)
Tomato Tuesday/Middle South P1010811

After I realized that I scalped my one plant, I went to buy another one. I had one pot at home, so I was planning on getting one. Well, I couldn't decide, so I got 2 and improvised. I didn't have any MM left, so I just planted them in a mix of the 2 composts I had left over. Not ideal, but good enough for extras. I'll add on next year, with more MM. Oh, these are Early Girl (on the left) and Bonnie Original (right). The Early Girl seems to be getting a tiny but yellow, so I'm wondering if my canvas bag is not draining well. I'll keep an eye. The patio is wet underneath the bag.

Tomato Tuesday/Middle South P1010813

It's funny how my gardening style has been evolving. At first, I was really caught up on "pretty" and never would've thought I'd stick a plant in a target canvas bag. But I'm now more interested in the plants and their beauty and not spending too much more money at this point. Interesting.
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Female Posts : 309

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 5/24/2011, 12:02 pm

hyper A tomato?!

I'm SO jealous! You're tomatoes are looking great!
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 5/24/2011, 1:01 pm

Very Happy It sure is exciting! It's actually good to hear that they're looking great, because I have no frame of reference. Yay. Thanks for the feedback.
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  GreenBlueberry 5/24/2011, 4:09 pm

My Heinz 2653 is doing great! Tons of flowers, 3 huge green ones at the bottom.

The Amish Paste and Speckled Roma look a little rough, but it may be because they are heirlooms, so the leaves are not as "pretty" as the ones from the other gardeners. They have fruit, but I cut the suckers as I read and well, I am not getting as many flower clusters as I'd like. Maybe next year I will cut down on that and leave 2 vines from the very bottom instead of one.

I added a San Marzano and a Black Zebra at the last minute. I had them at home for a while, and just moved them a week ago. Well, I noticed that their leaves were yellowing yesterday. I suspect a nutrient deficiency since it's just those 2 new tomatoes. I treated them today with calcium, Epson salts and a little fertilizer to see if they perk up more (I added new compost to those squares, but I'm paranoid).
The previous squares had catnip and cilantro. Would that have added/depleted something the tomatoes need?

I can't believe I am a gardener!
GreenBlueberry
GreenBlueberry

Female Posts : 88

http://www.tableclothsandsporks.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/24/2011, 5:12 pm

GreenBlueberry wrote:I can't believe I am a gardener!

Tomato Tuesday/Middle South 641297 Yup, most of us shock ourselves with our capabilities.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 5/24/2011, 5:22 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:
GreenBlueberry wrote:I can't believe I am a gardener!

Tomato Tuesday/Middle South 641297 Yup, most of us shock ourselves with our capabilities.

Uh-huh and amen.
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 5/24/2011, 8:27 pm

Hi all,
My tomato plants seem to be doing okay. I suckered them this evening and I also began the process of leaning them toward the trellis and tying the ones that were long enough to reach. A few of them have flowers developing...hopefully I will see some tomatoes soon. Very Happy I also noticed that a few of my transplants have what appears to more than one main stem? Does this mean there is more than one plant growing in this square foot and if so, what do I do? They have gotten pretty tall at this point (almost 2'). I forgot to take pics, but I will do so in the morning and post them.
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 5/31/2011, 2:58 pm

Where is everyone?! It's Tuesday again, so it's time for a Tomato update. I hope you all will consider posting some photos. Our region seems to be starved for posts. It will remain that way unless you all start posting!

My Siberian tomatoes are flowering! Yay! They are also looking bushy and healthy as ever. You can hardly tell that they had a major issue with sun scald a couple weeks ago.

Tomato Tuesday/Middle South Siberi12

Tomato Tuesday/Middle South Siberi13

And the flowers! I have 3 cluster like this one.

Tomato Tuesday/Middle South Sibflo10

The rest of my determinates are going to go outside as soon as I can get the MM mixed for their buckets. Hopefully I can do it tonight. I'll be setting out a Mt. Pride, 2 Roma, a Mt.Princess, and an Empire Hybrid.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 5/31/2011, 10:37 pm

My tomato plants are looking good, despite all of the issues I've faced. One thing I realized today is I am not so sure how to weave them up the trellis :scratch: . Anyways, here are some pics I took today:

Tomato Tuesday/Middle South 53111_10

Tomato Tuesday/Middle South 53111_11

Tomato Tuesday/Middle South 2011-089

Tomato Tuesday/Middle South 2011-090

Tomato Tuesday/Middle South 2011-091
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/7/2011, 5:13 pm

Pretty baby tomatoes from a week ago, Buttaflie. How are they doing today?
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 6/7/2011, 5:22 pm

The one little tomato is growing. All of my plants have lots of blooms, but no tomatoes. Sad I don't know what's going on. Should I be concerned?
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/7/2011, 5:28 pm

If it is not too hot, they may need a bit of help pollinating. Simple, just gently shake the plant a bit and the pollen will fly.
If you have lots of blooms, you still have the opportunity for lots of tomatoes. I would not be concerned this early in the year.

If it is too hot, they will slow down creating tomatoes until the temp drops a few degrees.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  GreenBlueberry 6/7/2011, 7:56 pm

Darn, I forgot to take pictures.
My Heinz 2653 is toppling over with so much fruit. One is just orange. I hope they taste good because if they do, I am definitely getting one or 2 next year.
The Speckled Roma has 2 good bunches and looks like more flowers coming up. The Amish Paste has less bunches and flowers. Both of them I trimmed to 1 vine (they are indeterminate) but I think next year I will leave 2-3 vines because I'd like more tomatoes even if they are not huge.
I have a San Marzano and a Black Zebra but I planted those a month later so they have no fruit yet, just 1 bunch of flowers each. We'll see how those do.

For the food pantry garden I have some better boys that are doing fantastic (I trimmed those to 2 vines from the start) and a Bonnie Grape Tami G that is exploding with fruit. I am really surprised at this one. I am not really into hybrids but I may just get one of these next year.
GreenBlueberry
GreenBlueberry

Back to top Go down

Post  GreenBlueberry 6/14/2011, 11:51 am

All right, I better post this before I forget and it is Wednesday.
These are my first Heinz 2653 tomatoes. I've harvested 2 of them. The plant is so full of them, I can't wait for the rest.
Tomato Tuesday/Middle South Heinzt10

My Amish paste on the left and speckled Roman on the right. These were indeterminate so I trimmed them to one vine, but I think next year I will trim to two to get more tomatoes.
Tomato Tuesday/Middle South Greent10
GreenBlueberry
GreenBlueberry

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 6/14/2011, 7:18 pm

My Brandywine, German Johnson and Sweet 100 are producing, but I have to admit I am more excited at the prospect of the Cherokee Purple and Mr. Stripey producing fruit because they look exotic and I have never tasted them before. I have been spending lots of time in my SFG, but I haven't taken any pics. I'll try to have some for next week. Happy Gardening.
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 6/14/2011, 10:25 pm

Why does my non-SFG neighbor have crazy lots of tomatoes, and I have 2? They are not pruning from what I can see. Does that have something to do with it? I have a good amount of blooms, and a couple have teeny tiny tomato starts behind them, and have for a week or so, but not getting any bigger. Am I just being impatient?

I also killed a hornworm. Threw him in a bowl of water, turned my back for a minute, then looked back to see the poor thing in the throes of his death battle. He was squirting his stinky stuff into the water, squirming around, struggling. I don't like bugs, especially ones that eat my babies' food. But I felt horrible to know that I had just tortured one. I didn't know quite what to do, so just sat and watched. I won't be killing them that way again.
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 6/21/2011, 11:14 am

Time for a tomato update!

My two Siberians are struggling. They have curled leaves and purple veins. So, either they have the leaf curl virus or a nutrient deficiency. I'm not sure which it is, but they are in their own buckets, so I'm just going to let them live on 'til they give up the ghost.

Tomato Tuesday/Middle South Siberi14

BUT, they are bearing fruit, and they have lots more flowers. So, so long as mother nature stops drowning them in rain they should still bear fruit pretty well! Coincidentally, you can see their sickly leaves a lot better here.

Tomato Tuesday/Middle South Sibtom10

Tomato Tuesday/Middle South Sibtom11

Finally, here is the whole row of determinate tomatoes. All the rest are happy, healthy, and flowering. They had curled leaves for a bit, but that was just a reaction to the tremendous amount of rain we have been getting around here. Hopefully they set fruit!

Tomato Tuesday/Middle South Dettom10
l to r: 2 Siberians, 1 Empire hybrid, 1 Mt. Pride, 2 Mt. Princess, and 2 Roma.

How are yours doing?
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Back to top Go down

Post  jhayford 6/21/2011, 5:32 pm

Last night I bought 2 roma tomato plants. I know it's late but I just got some of my boxes together. I WAS going to plants them today. However the rain god has other plans lol. So i just left them out in the rain along with the rainbow of peppers that I got. Hopefully I will get a little bit of stuff this year.

So tomatoes = on hold till rain stops. Mainly because I don't like to get hit by lightening.
jhayford
jhayford

Female Posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down