Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help?  Canning salsa Toplef10Help?  Canning salsa 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help?  Canning salsa I22gcj10Help?  Canning salsa 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help?  Canning salsa Toplef10Help?  Canning salsa 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help?  Canning salsa I22gcj10Help?  Canning salsa 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help? Canning salsa

+4
ModernDayBetty
petals1973
Furbalsmom
jerzyjen
8 posters

Go down

Help?  Canning salsa Empty Help? Canning salsa

Post  jerzyjen 5/17/2011, 7:30 pm

So i decided I wanted to can some salsa now to test out recipes on grocery store tomatos before my harvest this year. So I followed the instructions, and it was supposed to be enough for 2 pint jars. I only had enough salsa for 1 and 1/3 jar. I can't for the life of me think of anything I did wrong, I double checked my measurements and ingredients.

I used a tested Ball recipe, direct from their website. Has anyone had this happen before?

My plan is to just refridgerate the 1/3, I didn't process it, and the one I did process I think I will just refridgerate the jar after it cools and try to eat it up in the next week (unless I don't like it).

Is this safe? I don't want to die from my favorite snack.
jerzyjen
jerzyjen

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Help?  Canning salsa Empty Re: Help? Canning salsa

Post  Furbalsmom 5/17/2011, 11:06 pm

Jen, if you followed the recipe regarding ingredients and measurements, you should be fine, but I can't imagine what would cause it to be that short.

What was the title of the recipe? I would like to look at it, cause I need more canning recipes in case my 28 tomato plants actually produce here in the chilly damp PNW.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  petals1973 5/18/2011, 9:59 am

Furbalsmom wrote:Jen, if you followed the recipe regarding ingredients and measurements, you should be fine, but I can't imagine what would cause it to be that short.

What was the title of the recipe? I would like to look at it, cause I need more canning recipes in case my 28 tomato plants actually produce here in the chilly damp PNW.

28 affraid I thought I had a lot with 14. Lets not talk about the other 20 that I have rooting. lol!
petals1973
petals1973

Female Posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 5/18/2011, 10:06 am

Furbalsmom wrote: I need more canning recipes in case my 28 tomato plants actually produce here in the chilly damp PNW.

I've thought about moving back to Seattle but you pnwers comments like this give me the chills....

Opps hijack. My Ball cookbook says that if you have any concerns about your recipe not turning out that you should put the jars in the fridge and consume now.
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 5/18/2011, 11:01 am

Jen,

Was this the recipe? Ball's Traditional Salsa

Notice most canning recipes say they will yield "about" so many pints. My guess is that the store-bought tomatoes just weren't as juicy as home-grown ones would be. Did you substitute or leave out some of the other ingredients? That also could account for the difference.

I think you can safely eat the extra 1/3 for up to a week or two. It has vinegar in it, so that gives it a little more time in the fridge. You could always nuke it or reheat it for a bit if you are still unsure.

Another tip would be if you come up short like this again, is to have some canned tomato sauce on hand. Add enough sauce to make up the difference, reheat and proceed to process.

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  jerzyjen 5/18/2011, 12:24 pm

Thanks. yep that is the one Pattipan. I did use the "half size" version, so I thought maybe that was part of the problem. I weighed the tomatos first, and got the 2 1/2 lbs (it was a little heavy actually), then after I seeded and diced the tomatos, I still measured it out in cups and got the 3 1/2 cups. I didn't take away anything, cause I'm scared to death to do that. I did add a little cumin & chili powder, since I've read that you can change spices only.

Another question, could i have also used some canned diced tomatos in the same quantity as fresh tomatos? I was afraid to do that so I didn't but it was something I thought of in case I come up short one time.
jerzyjen
jerzyjen

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 5/18/2011, 12:29 pm

jerzyjen, my MIL has used diced tomatoes before, she get's the petite diced. If you add cilantro, add it when serving, sometimes it gives your salsa a bitter taste after sitting on the shelf for a while.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 5/18/2011, 12:41 pm

jerzyjen wrote:Another question, could i have also used some canned diced tomatos in the same quantity as fresh tomatos? I was afraid to do that so I didn't but it was something I thought of in case I come up short one time.

Sure you can! A lot of the pre-packaged salsa mixes (e.g. Mrs. Wages brand) call for canned tomatoes. I've used canned tomatoes many times when I needed just a little more tomato for canning salsa. I remember one time when I was in a hurry I didn't removed most of the pith from the jalapenos. That salsa was so hot even my hubby couldn't eat (and he has an iron tongue for pepper heat). I went and bought 10 cans of diced tomatoes to add to it. I increased all other ingredients as if I were tripling the recipe. It was still hot, but ate least we could eat it without crying.

A key ingredient in that salsa recipe is the vinegar. As long as you keep that acidity proportionate in your salsa you can adjust the other ingredients. Add a little more vinegar or citric acid and process a few minutes longer if in doubt.

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Back to top Go down

Post  tegaan 5/18/2011, 1:30 pm

HI,

I am curious if you can substitute lemon juice for the lime. I am not growing cilantro so what herb is good in salsa? Parsley? Basil?

Oh, and definetly wear gloves when handling hot peppers....it really hurts alot and lasts a long time.....I heard!! Embarassed

Kari
tegaan

Female Posts : 75

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/18/2011, 1:37 pm

tegaan wrote:HI,

I am curious if you can substitute lemon juice for the lime.
Kari

Lime and lemon are both very acidic, so I use them interchangeably. If you have one and it calls for the other, give it a try.

I actually prefer the lime taste, so in my strawberry jam recipe that calls for lemon juice I use lime! (Anyone for a Margarita PB&J? Help?  Canning salsa 410210 )
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 5/18/2011, 3:19 pm

You can pick up a handful of cilantro at the store, "fresh". I have not yet had luck with it, it's just to hot here and it bolts, so we buy it.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 5/18/2011, 3:33 pm

Most of the time I use crushed coriander (which is the seed of cilantro) in my salsa. Then when I serve it I may/may not add fresh cilantro. Last year I found some dried cilantro at a bulk food store which worked really well for my canned salsa and it did not get bitter.

And speaking of cilantro...I had a pot of it last year and let it go to seed. This spring it popped up in neighboring herb pots and in one flower pot that is clear on the other side of the house (???). So I got a head start this year! I usually plant it 3 or 4 times throughout the summer since it bolts so quickly. I bought some seed for a slow-bolting type from Baker Creek Seeds. I'll start those soon.

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down